How does this Tax Stamp work?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

patinlouisiana

How does this Tax Stamp work?

Post by patinlouisiana »

Once you get this Tax Stamp then what?
is it something you carry in your wallet?
Who would be asking to see it?
Just a newbie looking to learn.
I never get lost. There is always someone wanting to tell me where to go!
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: How does this Tax Stamp work?

Post by fishman »

patinlouisiana wrote:Once you get this Tax Stamp then what?
Then you get to:
- take your purchased item home (form 4)
Or
- build your item (form 1)

Its something you keep in a fire safe or bank deposit box. Keep copies in your range bag, in your gun, in your wallet, in your phone, and/or anywhere else you want.

Police, range officers, federal agents. Only an ATF agent may demand to see it. Anyone can request to see it.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

patinlouisiana wrote:is it something you carry in your wallet?
You could, but it's much easier to simply snap a photo on your phone. I keep photos on the phone for all my personal Form 1 or 4 and for my company Form 2s & 3s.
patinlouisiana wrote:Who would be asking to see it?
Nobody. I routinely show and demo all kinds of NFA items away from my facility, including machine guns, and have never once been asked to produce a form.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

^Pretty much this.

I keep a copy of my approved paperwork with the weapon at all times. It's the only thing that pretty much proves that it's legal. I think of it as my "stay out of jail free" card.

ATF reserves the right to demand to see your paperwork on the spot. They ask for it, you better be able to show it. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Further, you're required to provide a physical copy of the papers to the local police when you submit your paperwork now so I don't really have a reason not to show the police too under most circumstances. The approved paperwork exists to show proof it's legal, not really a lot different than when an officer asks for the car registration.

Many patrol officers are entirely ignorant of all of the process altogether in the first place. If they know anything about the NFA at all, it's probably going to be very little. I would rather try to educate them than belittle them for their ignorance. I would rather make a friend than an enemy.

Unless they're just being totally unreasonable. In that case, I would suggest to them that they call the serial numbers into the atf and verify for themselves that they are legal, then would invoke my 5A rights at that point. But that's getting off the question that you asked.

I started getting into NFA 16 years ago.

To date, I have never been asked to see my papers either.
I don't care what your chart says
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Anyone may "request" to see your paperwork but only the ATF, theoretically, can "demand" to see your paperwork.

An educational link, maybe a little dated where Trusts and LLC are concerned => viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123787

In Texas NFA are prohibited and your paperwork is a defense against prosecution . A copy will suffice, I don't carry the originals, I keep a PDF of the papers on my phone and only carry copies with me when I have the NFA in possession just because phones don't always work. If you hunt with NFA and catch the attention of a warden there's a chance he may request to see paperwork.

I've only been doing this for 10 or so years and have received requests to see paperwork on multiple occasions but never, yet, by any law enforcement. Sometimes curious individuals ask to see it and I voluntary oblige them for purposes of education. On two occasions I have been asked by employees of a public range to see paperwork on the condition that if I show it to them I can stay but if I don't I have to leave. On both occasions I've voluntarily complied with the request and stayed.

You always have the right to refuse to show your paperwork. If you refuse to show it to a range employee you may be asked to leave and if you don't leave they have the right to press the issue of your departure. If you refuse to show it to local law enforcement it's my understanding they may choose to detain you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
faizanmazhar00

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

patinlouisiana wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:27 pm Once you get this Tax Stamp then what?
Anyone may "request" to see your paperwork but only the ATF, theoretically, can "demand" to see your paperwork.