Looking to buy my first suppressor but need recommendations

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Mpt86

Looking to buy my first suppressor but need recommendations

Post by Mpt86 »

Hey everyone!! I am in the process of getting my trust created and have been researching cans nonstop but it doesn't seem like enough to really understand the differences in the different brands. I'm looking to get a suppressor to mount on my AR-15 rifle and pistol but would also like to install it on my ruger precision 6.5cm and 308 rifle. What would your recommendations be for a quick disconnect can for around a $600-900 price point that I would get the most "bang for my buck"?

Also looking to get a pistol suppressor as well. I have a few .45cal pistols but would also like to suppress my 9mm as well. Any suggestions on a can for that or should I only stick with one can per caliber?

Thanks in advance.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking to buy my first suppressor but need recommendations

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

The Rugged Surge is barely out of your price range ($945 Silencer Shop) but it would be my pick if i had to pick just one. Heavy, but full auto rated, some of the best sound reduction available in 9" and can configure shorter if desired. Mount is simple and solid, I use one on my 6.5 Creedmore RPR and it has a repeatable poi. Warranty / Customer Service can be trusted.

Lots of good 45 cans out there, Silencerco, Rugged and Griffin Armament can use each others pistons and 3-lug couplers, so you can mount them to just about anything. I'd rank Silencerco Warranty / Customer Service as amazing, followed by Rugged and then GA. With a lifetime purchase, if you are going to go cheap, understand you may be on your own if you have a problem.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Mpt86 wrote:... to really understand the differences in the different brands. ...
Ask 10 different people the best way to boil an egg and you'll get 10 different answers.

Among the primary differences on which most people make decisions are things like price, warranty, size, weight, material, suppression, POI shift and purpose.

Price: Some of the worst cans out there cost the most money but the best cans out there are usually not the cheapest. Put price at the bottom of your priority list and decide it last. The Buy Once, Cry Once credo.

Warranty: This is a nearly entirely useless concept in 99.9% of products sold on this planet. But for some inexplicable reason, thankfully, it still means something in the firearm world. Big names back up their products and hang around long enough to back them up for years. This is another factor in the Buy Once, Cry Once equation.

Size: A lot of people base their size decision on looks alone, short and fat vs long and skinny. Maybe a more important size consideration, since you mentioned wanting to use it for 5.56, is whether or not you plan to mount it under or in front of a hand guard.

Weight: A number of things affect weight but the weight itself matters more for whether you plan to trek it though the woods or shoot it off a bench.

Material: This matters a LOT if you plan to shoot full auto or a pallet of ammo a year, it matters a BUNCH for short barrel applications and hot loads typical of 5.56 and it matters a LITTLE if it's a range rig that sees a couple-three hundred rounds a year. These are all very specific and scientific terms and measurements used in warranty documentation and the manufacturer's decision about whether or not fix your screw up, fix it for free or fix it at all when it happens.

POI shift: If you're the kind of guy that never shoots unsuppressed or doesn't care about a ~2MOA shift between mounted and unmounted then this may not matter to you much. But if, for whatever reason, you want the bullet to land as close as possible to the same place whether the suppressor is mounted or not then this becomes a big factor in your decision. If it is a big factor then I suggest you also take a long, hard and educated look at barrel profiles, mounting options, actions, triggers, optics, brass, powder, reloading dies, alpha blockers and more.

Suppression: A highly subjective topic. Some people want the absolute quietest thing on the market and others are willing to sacrifice some suppression for other factors like size, weight, material, POI shift, price. Sadly, you cannot trust un-metered opinions in posts like "this one sounds quieter to me" or comparing the audio from videos on the web or that guy who meters his cans with his iphone and you definitely cannot completely trust numbers published by manufacturers. Just a few of the factors that impact sound measurements are barrel length, ammo, humidity, temperature and elevation. Also, a can that meters the best for subsonic ammo may not meter the best for full power amoo, it's often a trade off of design same as POI shift. A couple unbiased resources for comparison of suppression on common hosts with common ammo are http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... vent-ever/ and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1188176507 ... neither of these cover every suppressor or every possible combination of suppressor host and ammo available but most of the big names are covered on somewhat common ground using accepted testing methods.

Purpose: What is your purpose? What will it be used for primarily? Nobody can tell you this, you have to figure it out on your own. If you're going to carry it for hours on end or mostly shoot it without a rest then weight might be pretty important. If you're going to drag it through Texas underbrush chasing deer then length might be an important consideration.

You mention wanting to swap a big bore rifle can back and forth between a 5.56 berm blaster and a multi-caliber "precision" rifle ... you'd need something that stands up to the abuse of a ~7" berm blaster (not many warrantied choices in this category) and provides competition performance on a range queen ... not a low price combination of qualities in a can and not always a set of features bundled together.

IMO get a berm blaster can for the 5.56 applications, get a separate can for the precision application and get a third can for pistol caliber applications maybe something multi-cal that can be taken apart so it can be used for rimfire as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Mpt86

Post by Mpt86 »

Thank you all. I have been doing more and more research over the last week and believe I am going to go with the dead air sandman l and get the ghost 45m while they are running the promotion. Thanks for the information!!!
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Solid choices.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

^^^ What he said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895