Help me decide -Poll

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Which Can

Q Thunder Chicken
No votes
Sig SRD 7.62 QD & SRD22x
8%
Sig SRD 7.62TI QD
8%
Surefire 300 SPS
No votes
Rugged Surge
33%
Silencerco Specwar 762
25%
Other
25%

Total votes: 12

Mike89

Help me decide -Poll

Post by Mike89 »

Hey guys, new to the quiet community and I am looking to buy my first can. I have been lurking around for a while trying to glean as much info as I could to make the decision myself, but just can’t without the hands on experience. I have it narrowed down to a handful that I believe would suit me best, but would like real world input and maybe keep me from worrying about 1db of noise reduction brand vs brand when there are other points that I am missing. To make matters more complicated, Silencershop is offering a Sig srd22x for $99 if you buy one of Sig’s 7.62 cans. I know it isn’t the quietest .22 suppressor, but it doesn’t look too bad. If it isn’t worth it, I’d buy a different .22 can down the road.

On to the good stuff. This will be a primarily 300 blackout can from an 8.5” bbl shooting both subs and supers. Will occasionally throw some sub/super .308 down it as well. Things most important are in this order:
1. Noise reduction
2. repeatable POI shift/ Accuracy.
3. Price.
4. Weight.

If you guys could please leave a short (or long) post as to why you picked which, that would be helpful. Thanks- Mike
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Help me decide -Poll

Post by mars »

out of your list, i would buy the surge. jmo. but, if you want to diversify a little i would get the deadair sandman Ti (i have 1 myself and it's on my 300blkout SBR), then for $399 more i would get the Ghost-M. again, jmo.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

I voted for the Sig package (7.62 + discounted SRD22). Silencer Shop tests 7.62 suppressors with .308 and 300 Blackout, and the Sig 7.62 and .338 suppressors were top performers for subsonic Blackout and excellent in supersonic Blackout. Meanwhile, that Sig 7.62 suppressor in other .308 3rd party tests was so-so, not near the top. If your primary intended usage is 300 Blackout, I personally would be very happy with the Sig 7.62 for that use.

The Sig SRD22 and Q El Camino are nearly identical cans with nearly identical performance (excellent) as shown in the large head-to-head testing of .22 cans in Recoil magazine (I trust 3rd party tests over and above other sources). It's not a coincidence on their being nearly identical, since the same design crew designed both (first for Sig and then in Q, their new company). The Sig SRD22 and Q El Camino are superb suppressors.

The tradeoff is that if I absolutely wanted top .308 supersonic performance, then I would choose other than the Sig 7.62 can and your list has a couple of good choices along with those mentioned by Mars.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
Mike89

Post by Mike89 »

Thanks for the input so far. I didn’t know about the 3rd party testing done. I’ve been basing most of my research on the silencershop numbers, the limited numbers on capitolarmory.com, and the performance spreadsheet on modernrifleman.com here: https://modernrifleman.net/suppressors/ along with hours of YouTube viewing.
Cosmokramer

Post by Cosmokramer »

I personally got a liberty suppressor in 762 for 300 blackout several years ago. I’m happy with it but if I were to do it again, I would get a 45 or 9 serviceable can that can shoot 300 blk supers if you want. Silencerco 9k comes to mind, it’s rated to shoot supers and from their site’s reported numbers, hearing safe at the muzzle. If shooting supers aren’t important, than most 45 suppressors are rated to shoot subs. I thought I would just shoot 300 blackout and be happy but since it’s such a long wait, if I did it again it would be a multi caliber. I just ordered a 45 so I can pretty much shoot everything I would want to shoot, and a dedicated 22 since it can be very small and light and will likely be used most. If I could only afford one, it would be a 45 or 9 mm serviceable can.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Why leave the Omega off the list?

Arguably the best 30 Cal can on the market STILL.

Jeff
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

The Rugged Surge can't be beat. As another member often quotes "I don't care what your chart says" so I say the same about testing of suppressors... especially from the companies that sell them. I have retained excellent hearing through my many decades and I and my friends know what we like as far as sound from different metals and the associated "tones" that go with them. I have about 51 NFA items, most are suppressors and am a sucker for the "newest and bestest". I know there are suppressors that meter quieter than the older and newer Saker and Specwar but their low tone is what sells them. Now the physics of tone will say that a lower tone definitely carries further than a sharper tone which might be a concern for the .0001% of us who protect the President or get fired out of torpedo tubes with Seal Team 6 but for the rest of us whatever sounds quieter IS quieter and more pleasant.
It's really hard to beat the Rugged Surge and I believe there is a special now which may include an extra muzzle device and the 5.56 end cap for free. It simply sounds great on 30 cal and ridiculous on sub Blackouts. I haven't done it yet but I did see a guy shooting the Surge in it's shorter config on a Blackout usings subs and it was as impressive as mine in full length on sub Blackouts. Probably explains why a lot of Blackout specific suppressors are shorter than dedicated 308 and bigger 30 cal suppressors.

Another nice option is the Griffin Optimus because you will basically get a 30 cal, a 5.56, a 9mm pistol and a .22 pistol or fixed mount for a rifle suppressor all in one package. You may need an extra mount or two to wring out all the possibilities. Check out both Silencer Shop's and Dustin Ellerman's reviews on Youtube.

Also check out the awesome Dead Air Sandman L, it has excellent sound reduction, within 1 dB of the Rugged Surge - not noticeable by humans - and if you order soon you are eligible to purchase their top of the line .45ACP Ghost suppressor for half price! That is a tremendous deal.

I think the reason the three suppressors I have suggested sound so good is because of their stainless steel construction which seems to always give a nicer tone to the noise over the pinging of Titanium. Titanium suppressors are nice and light but almost louder and rarely rated for full auto fire. More expensive too.

Not much from Sig to consider, their suppressors are too expensive and some of the .30 cal units meter in at 139-140 dB which is the OSHA threshold of pain and damage. If you like Sigs go look at Q suppressors... I think it's the same guy, someone correct me if I am wrong please.
Gemtech hasn't really come out with anything new lately that is quiet except for their excellent Mist .22 barrels and the Shield for 5.56. The One isn't the one. Does OK on .308 but stinks on Blackout and 5.56... don't know why but I have one of their "Trilogy" sets and only the GM-22 is worth keeping for me. I'm probably going to sell the whole set as the GM-45 actually hurts to shoot dry.
George from Alaska