Stuck QD mount no wrench flats

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

porkchopper

Stuck QD mount no wrench flats

Post by porkchopper »

Hey guys looking for some advice on a problem that I don't have and hope to never have, but thinking ahead in the event it does. I torqued and Rocksett my Q cherry bomb to spec and it's been a dream shooting the suppressor. Having said that things don't always go as planned and since the brake has no wrench flats let's say one day when I take the silencer off the QD mount comes loose? Would threading a 5/8-24 adapter like this be unwise? Obviously the 1/2 inside wouldn't be of use, but a 5/8-24 thread with wrench flats seems like a good idea. Bad? It has wrench flats so snug it up and then use either a strap wrench or the wrench flats or hex on distal end to grab the can. Thanks for any critiques or suggestions if this is a bad idea....I don't profess to be a rOckiT webber sometimes I have a rare moment though.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/m ... 54364.aspx
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Stuck QD mount no wrench flats

Post by John A. »

the link you gave does have a place to put a wrench. Look at the shoulder.

I'm having an off-day, I'm not following your question well.

If you're referring to no wrench flats on the q cherry bomb, you could always find an allen key and put through the holes and try that.

Wrap your channel locks or vise grips with tape and a rag to try to keep from scratching everything up.
I don't care what your chart says
porkchopper

Post by porkchopper »

John A. wrote:the link you gave does have a place to put a wrench. Look at the shoulder.

I'm having an off-day, I'm not following your question well.

If you're referring to no wrench flats on the q cherry bomb, you could always find an allen key and put through the holes and try that.

Wrap your channel locks or vise grips with tape and a rag to try to keep from scratching everything up.
Well like I said I am an idiot....I didn't describe it very well. If the cherry bomb is stuck inside the suppressor there are no holes to use those are up on the distal end and would be stuck inside the can. I'm attempting to describe this: taking silencer off and the QD mount comes loose right off the end of the barrel and is stuck inside the silencer. Wondering how I would get the QD mount out. I envisioned threading the thread adapter into the QD mount and using the wrench flats to loosen it. This is what a cherry bomb looks like....so if it' stuck inside the can you have a tiny sliver of nothing south of the threads.

https://liveqordie.com/products/copy-of ... y-q-5-8-24

thanks for the input
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

The problem that you don't have, a lot of others also don't have. I think you are getting way ahead of yourself.

If you are worried about your break getting stuck in the QD mount I would use some anti-seize compound and clean off carbon buildup after each use.

If it gets stuck, a thwack from a rubber mallet will probably break the carbon lock.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

OK, I'm following you now. I thought you were talking about it getting stuck on the barrel. not in the adapter.

Antiseize is cheap.

Also, can you remove the entire rear endcap/adapter and access the brake that way?

I know on my "over the muzzlebrake" adapters that I have, you can unscrew the rear endcap and slide both the cap and the brake right out of the back of the tube simultaneously.
I don't care what your chart says
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

If your rockset fails, clean threads, put on fresh rockset and let cure. Should be fine to remove then.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
porkchopper

Post by porkchopper »

thanks guys good idea simple