OBSIDIAN with 9mm end cap

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

OBSIDIAN with 9mm end cap

Post by gsyoung54 »

I've had an Obsidian .45 since they came out. Love it and how quiet it is. I like to use foamy spray white lithium as an ablative. That stuff makes any can sound better.
Anyway I bought a 9mm end cap when I could get one, already had the piston and put it on my Sig MK25 with a factory threaded barrel. I promptly dinged the end cap with the first few shots. Later it got hit again and was pretty much ruined so I put the .45 end cap back on and shot it on the 9 with nice results. It seemed to be in the same area of dB's with either cap but I don't have two Obsidians to test side by side in real time, not delayed by a couple of minutes while I switch caps.
So I eventually ordered another end cap, shot American Brass 158gr fmj S &B, Fiocchi, IMI and Hush 165 gr in a dry can this time in case the ablative somehow threw my bullet off path. Still destroyed the 9mm end cap so now it sits with the 45 sized hole out the end. Was tempted to make a wipe for the end but the ATF has actually been pretty fair with me and I'm too old to go to prison.
Anyone else have this problem? I seem to recall that 1Silencer Shop used to have 9mm end caps for the Octane a couple of years ago but they didn't work out either and neither Silencerco or Silencer Shop has them anymore, both places told me that they were problematic.
I need an excuse to get an Obsidian 9 or maybe a Kracken but still wondering what's going on?
Anyone... anyone.... Bueller?
George from Alaska
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: OBSIDIAN with 9mm end cap

Post by quiettime »

Idk but the 9mm cap works well with my 300 BLK subs
cdl

Post by cdl »

I've chewed out an Octane 9mm cap. Once it was nicked, I shot on and traced it to double tapping faster than the piston could lock up.

gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

quiettime wrote:Idk but the 9mm cap works well with my 300 BLK subs
I'll try it on my Blackouts, maybe the heavier bullets fly straighter.
George from Alaska
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

cdl wrote:I've chewed out an Octane 9mm cap. Once it was nicked, I shot on and traced it to double tapping faster than the piston could lock up.

I can't find where they sell the 9 cap for the Octane 45 anymore. Did you get it from the special run from Silencer Shop or did it happen on an Octane 9?
George from Alaska
cdl

Post by cdl »

gsyoung54 wrote:
I can't find where they sell the 9 cap for the Octane 45 anymore. Did you get it from the special run from Silencer Shop or did it happen on an Octane 9?
That was an Octane 45 with a 9mm cap shooting a G19. I bought it from Silencer Shop and they came in Silencerco packaging. I haven't seen any around for some time. Using an ablative makes a bigger difference, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea though. I just wished I heard somewhere to watch my rate of fire when using a piston.