Threading a "Packlite"??

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Threading a "Packlite"??

Post by MicroGuy »

Eventually I want to get a shorter barrel for my Mark III. I was looking at those "Packlites" and like the 4.5", but it looks like it's just about all aluminum. Maybe a steel insert for the rifiling or something.

So I was wondering, can you thread those for a can? Or would it lose too much strength on the end, like it you knocked it kind of hard, the leverage would break the threads right off the end of the barrel.

Not much room to move the front sight back either. And does anybody know if they have screw holes for mounting a "Weaver rail"?

I just don't particularly like the pre-threaded numbers.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

They sell a threaded one.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Re: Threading a "Packlite"??

Post by MicroGuy »

Thanks, but..........

MicroGuy wrote: I just don't particularly like the pre-threaded numbers.
:roll:
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
mpallett

Re: Threading a "Packlite"??

Post by mpallett »

MicroGuy wrote:Thanks, but..........

MicroGuy wrote: I just don't particularly like the pre-threaded numbers.
:roll:
Reading is fundamental. :)
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

Yeah, no poster left behind.....
TacSol1

Threading a Pac-Lite

Post by TacSol1 »

The 4.5" Threaded Pac-Lite is available in Matte Black, Matte O.D. Green, and Matte Brown (Dark Earth). They are made for the express purpose of threading a can on the end and work extremely well for that application. 2 different picatinny rails for the top are available as well as an accessory rail that mounts under the barrel for a laser or flashlight or combo unit. They come standard with a thread protector that screws on the end when your can is not on it.
Any particular reason you do not like the pre-threaded numbers? Just asking; if there are specific issues you are concerned about I would be happy to address them so you don't have any unhappy surprises. :)
Dan
Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Racer »

I don't know if they will still do a special order, but her is a photo of my special order threaded Pac Lite.

Dave
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Re: Threading a Pac-Lite

Post by MicroGuy »

TacSol1 wrote:The 4.5" Threaded Pac-Lite is available in Matte Black, Matte O.D. Green, and Matte Brown (Dark Earth). They are made for the express purpose of threading a can on the end and work extremely well for that application. 2 different picatinny rails for the top are available as well as an accessory rail that mounts under the barrel for a laser or flashlight or combo unit. They come standard with a thread protector that screws on the end when your can is not on it.
Any particular reason you do not like the pre-threaded numbers? Just asking; if there are specific issues you are concerned about I would be happy to address them so you don't have any unhappy surprises. :)
Dan
I'm not sure exactly what it is, maybe the colors or something. But when I look at them, they just don't shake my tree any. If I were to get one, I'd want one of the regular ones, and have it threaded.

Like Racer did.

Maybe it's just the colors, maybe I'd change my mind if I saw it in person. I don't know. But when I look at them on the web page, my eyes just gravitate to the others.

I would like to buy one pre-threaded. But you have to admit, if I'm purchasing it from the guys that make the dang thing, it ought to be just a bit cheaper. (it's still $80 for threading no matter who does it, ya'll ought to be a bit cheaper on it)

Could be the 2 rails would allow for me to get the threaded one in black. Don't know, I'd probably have to see one first.

BTW, do you have a link that would take me right into their silencers page? The links on the main page don't work yet, and I'd like to at least look at 'em.

I sent an email, asking about something and mentioned the broken link, but never received a link to view anything.

Now that's what I'm talking about Racer. Right now I have the SS 6 7/8" and it's a bit heavy to take camping. So I'm looking for a shorter/lighter barrel. And eventually I'd go back to the poly grips.

I like it!
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

Micro,
I thought of all my options (with my 5 inch Buckmark) and sort of reached the same conclusion you did....
I had Jeff Green at the Firing Lane in Athens cut mine back and thread it for me, I am gonna pick it up tomorrow...
Jeff does A-1 threading and I like the fact he is local.....
The price is about what you posted, but I just like the factory barrel better..
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

GaLEO wrote:Micro,
I thought of all my options (with my 5 inch Buckmark) and sort of reached the same conclusion you did....
I had Jeff Green at the Firing Lane in Athens cut mine back and thread it for me, I am gonna pick it up tomorrow...
Jeff does A-1 threading and I like the fact he is local.....
The price is about what you posted, but I just like the factory barrel better..
You mean "factory" as in Ruger?

I've got the fluted barrel, so it's not so easy to cut down (and still have a good looking piece). Plus, I want to keep the one that I have.

I don't mind swapping them out once in a while.

I guess eventually, I'll end up with two completely different guns. I had the poly grip 22/45 before but had problems with it. So I ened up with the all stainless Hunter.

But this 6 7/8" just gets a bit heavy to tote around when camping, especially since I try to go "super light", not quite "Ultra light". This thing as it is, probably weighs more than my stove, fuel and shelter combined, plus some.

Post by 3 »

I have cut down and threaded one. I works fine . I was also able to make a step for the minor dimension so my AAC can could lock on with the o-ring. This also gives you more thread engagement. I will do this to even the pre-threaded ones I have. The only down side is you are left with raw aluminum . I put a drop of oil to prevent possible gauling. I also had to make a new thread protector . I wish the factory would make this change. That aside I love them. I also have a 10/22 bbl I like alot. quality products
Last edited by 3 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacSol1

Threading a Pac-Lite

Post by TacSol1 »

Just a couple things that may interest some of you. The threaded 4.5" Pac-Lite will be available in all our standard colors (red, blue, etc.) shortly if the matte colors aren't your thing. The standard 4.5 (non-threaded) will be phased out. Threaded ends outsold the standard by about 13 to 1 this year. I know alot of those sales also translate into suppressor sales. ALOT of the people I talk to are also getting cans and that is why they are buying the threaded ends. Some people already have a Ruger, others are buying Rugers or Brownings to put 'em on. The majority of these purchasers are buying Pilots and Outback II's as well as TacSol's can. So hopefully we're generating sales for Gem-Tech and AAC as well, both of whom I think are great companies that make excellent products.
I have a stainless Ruger MKII that my dad gave me 25 years ago. I shoot it maybe once a year, if that, because it weighs a ton. I don't like to carry it anywhere. I have a MKII 22/45 with a Threaded Pac-Lite on it and a suppressor that goes in my day pack or fanny pack when I go fly fishing, hiking, trail riding on my dirt bike, deer and elk hunting or wherever. It is the most used gun I've got and most everyone I talk to that has one says the same thing, so I guess I look at it as a relatively cheap investment for something that has alot more practical use than alot of my other toys.
However, everyone has different tastes, preferences and applications so I say there is no bad choice as long as that is what works best for you and fits best into your budget.
Sorry about the website difficulties. I think we've just about got things ironed out and all the pages as well as the shopping cart will be fully operation soon.
Thank you to everyone who has chosen to purchase TacSol products. We appreciate your business.
Dan
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

I cant figure out exactly what Micro is looking for. I would like to throw my .02 cents worth in on the tacsol uppers. I like the look of them and the accessories available like the upper rail and the lower rail (we often shoot skunks and opposums on our farm at night so attaching a small light to it would be nice)

I would like to have a threaded model that is shorter than the 4.5 inch though, maybe 3.5 or 3 inches. I know that you cant make everything everyone wants but I remember there being some shorter ones made in the past years?
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867

Post by 3 »

I cut one down to 1 1/2 inches . I think I went too short. some ammo works ok some tips and I get a little baffle contact. Does anybody know what ammo works best in a short bbl like this?
BachelorJack
Silent But Deadly

Post by BachelorJack »

Nothing. You went too short.
Arghhh!!
lawless
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by lawless »

Try CCI Pistol match. It has alot faster burning powder.
TacSol1

Threading a Pac-Lite

Post by TacSol1 »

Yup, CCI Pistol match. Still doubtful. 2.75" long seems to be the magic number. Shorter starts getting iffy.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

Poacher wrote:I cant figure out exactly what Micro is looking for. I would like to throw my .02 cents worth in on the tacsol uppers. I like the look of them and the accessories available like the upper rail and the lower rail (we often shoot skunks and opposums on our farm at night so attaching a small light to it would be nice)

I would like to have a threaded model that is shorter than the 4.5 inch though, maybe 3.5 or 3 inches. I know that you cant make everything everyone wants but I remember there being some shorter ones made in the past years?
Bingo- kudos- 3.5"

That sounds like a better length for a pistol with suppressor.

950FPS should be attainable with a 3.5 and the right ammo.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

Poacher wrote:I cant figure out exactly what Micro is looking for. I would like to throw my .02 cents worth in on the tacsol uppers. I like the look of them and the accessories available like the upper rail and the lower rail (we often shoot skunks and opposums on our farm at night so attaching a small light to it would be nice)

That's just it. I don't know what I'm looking for.

I said it could be just the web page. I'd like a shorter, lighter upper, like the TacSol shows on their pages. But, from looking at the PHOTO's, I do not particularly LIKE the ones that are threaded already.

Maybe it's just the color, I do not know...... perhaps if I saw on, or more in person, I would like them. I know I do not want camo, or any variation thereof.

No matter what I put on my gun, I want it to look good. And the camo barres/uppers/receivers, just don't look good on a Stainless Steel Ruger Mark III. (In my personal opinion.....)

So, that leaves me with either the non-threaded units and having it threaded by a third party (if they won't do it), or settling with one the pre-threaded models.

I would like having both rails, but is a plus for them. But they're ugly....

I could perhaps use the black one, that might be OK. Maybe even get one and polish off everything so it looks nice and shiny like the rest of the gun. Maybe waiting to see what they come out with a little later.

But again, I haven't seen them in person. So I don't know how I would feel about them if I did see them.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

??

Post by yondering »

So you want a short barrel, but you don't like the look of the short barrel???

They do have thread protectors, so they won't look exactly like the website shows, with the threads visible.

If it's just the matte finish you don't like, Tactical Solutions can probably make you one without that.

Talk to TacSol1 (he did post in this thread). He set me up with what I wanted; a 5.5" threaded barrel (trail-lite) without the matte finish. Very easy guy to work with, and since he works for the company, you won't get any better answers on this board than you will from him.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Re: ??

Post by MicroGuy »

yondering wrote:So you want a short barrel, but you don't like the look of the short barrel???
No, I want a short barrel, but I don't want that short barrel to be CAMO! There's only like three choices, black, camo and Olive Drab.

Besides, by the time I put a can on it, it won't be short any more, so that's a moot point.
yondering wrote:They do have thread protectors, so they won't look exactly like the website shows, with the threads visible.

If it's just the matte finish you don't like, Tactical Solutions can probably make you one without that.

Talk to TacSol1 (he did post in this thread). He set me up with what I wanted; a 5.5" threaded barrel (trail-lite) without the matte finish. Very easy guy to work with, and since he works for the company, you won't get any better answers on this board than you will from him.
With the regular barrels/receivers, there were several color choices. But on the threaded ones, there were only three.

The graphics on the page suck really. Hard to see. They need to make it so you can click on one and get a full picture of it. (no offense TacSol guys....)

That's why I have said, I may feel better seeing it in person, but from the web site, I don't like they it looks.