Why form freeze plugs?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

AKCoyote

Why form freeze plugs?

Post by AKCoyote »

Morning gents. New to the site and just learning about home built cans. Built my first one from a mag light with K baffles for a .308 and was fairly impressed with the results. Everything is legal. Have my tax stamps etc.

Now I want to suppress a single shot Marlin .22 . The goal is to create a small game rifle so that in the event of a SHTF moment, I can hunt without drawing any attention. I live in Alaska but even here, stealth can be a concern.

So my question is, when using freeze plugs as baffles, why do they need to be formed as a 'M'? From my reading, there are 3 basics to suppressor efficiency. Bore tolerance. Baffles and volume. I'm curious why a configuration like this wouldn't work..........

=|____[][][][][]| Why is the 'M' configuration and stacking the baffles like this {{{{{{ more efficient?

Great site and I and I look forward to learning the whys and what fors!
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why form freeze plugs?

Post by Capt. Link. »

AKCoyote wrote:Morning gents. New to the site and just learning about home built cans. Built my first one from a mag light with K baffles for a .308 and was fairly impressed with the results. Everything is legal. Have my tax stamps etc.

Now I want to suppress a single shot Marlin .22 . The goal is to create a small game rifle so that in the event of a SHTF moment, I can hunt without drawing any attention. I live in Alaska but even here, stealth can be a concern.

So my question is, when using freeze plugs as baffles, why do they need to be formed as a 'M'? From my reading, there are 3 basics to suppressor efficiency. Bore tolerance. Baffles and volume. I'm curious why a configuration like this wouldn't work..........

=|____[][][][][]| Why is the 'M' configuration and stacking the baffles like this {{{{{{ more efficient?

Great site and I and I look forward to learning the whys and what fors!
You would be better served if you post this in the Silencer Smiting section. Information about freeze plug building is in the mentioned section.
A baffle strips high pressure from the stream and help delay gases from moving forward.Flat baffles are not as efficient as cones in delaying theses gases. "M" baffles are a combination of baffle and spacer but are not special.
The .22LR is fairly easy to suppress though some designs are standout performers.Using SS freeze plugs you might try forming spherical baffles as they work well and are simple to reproduce.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Sage advice from CL ... hemispheres.

A good tool is a Dapping Doming Block 2" Jewlers Metalsmith
Metalworking Jewelry Shaping Tool

With spherical hammers in set you can take a flat washer
and peen a hemisphere.

e.g., << https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flXv6eT9_zU >>
AKCoyote

Post by AKCoyote »

Thanks for the input! I'll repost in the Silencer Smiting section.