Ruger Silent SR

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jeff3377

Ruger Silent SR

Post by jeff3377 »

Ruger Silent SR not suppressing Sig Sauer 522. What's up????
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger Silent SR

Post by mbogo »

What ammunition are you using?

A lot of .22LR rounds will be supersonic out of a 16" barrel.
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
jeff3377

Post by jeff3377 »

Using Fiochhi .22LR standard velocity. Same ammo in my Ruger .22/45 is super quiet.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I've found the Fiocchi standard velocity stuff runs a little bit hot. Through a 7" target pistol barrel about 1/3 of the shots would go supersonic. Out of a 10" barrel theyre all cracking. Remington subsonic is as bad or worse for me, frequently going super out of the 10" barrel. CCI SV has been fairly reliable in staying suppressable.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Try actual subsonic loads. A lot of the "standard velocity" stuff tends to go super out of longer barrels.

I like American Eagle 45 gr. Suppressor for cheap stuff. You can usually find it for no more than CCI SV.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

I like S&B subsonic 22 LR. It stays subsonic in my suppressed pistols and rifles and I buy it by the case. Winchester subsonic is pretty good but louder than the S&B. Aguilla subsonic, when I can find it in Alaska, is about equal to the S&B in quietness but costs me a little bit more because I can only find it in 500 round bricks and I can find the S&B in 1,000 case units. I hear good things about the Hush 22 LR subsonic but I would have to special order it with additional freight costs. Gemtech subsonic .22 is expensive, highly overrated and noisier than any of the above. Someone showed me proof that it was just rebranded CCI target velocity ammo but I don't have a link or a copy of anything to show.
By the way, the Ruger Silent SR is a remarkably quiet suppressor.. it's wide tube and those elongated baffles really work. I don't have a meter but to my friends and I it sounds as quiet as the Rugged Occulus, the Dead Air Mask and the Liberty Regulator... when fired wet full of foamy white lithium grease with a clear center channel the Regulator is the quietest .22 suppressor I have and I have about 18 .22 suppressors. Need to get a Q Erector and the new one from Silencerco or AAC.. whichever is the one that you can reverse the last section on.
George from Alaska
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

jeff3377 wrote:Using Fiochhi .22LR standard velocity. Same ammo in my Ruger .22/45 is super quiet.
Sounds like the rounds stay sub sonic in the shorter barrel and get up to super sonic in the long barrel. Almost certainly an ammo issue.