Quieter 45 loads?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ghmj07

Quieter 45 loads?

Post by ghmj07 »

I read in another thread here that IMI/Fiochhi/PPU 158 gr subsonic loads were much quieter than most other subsonic loads besides maybe HUSH.

I need to break in a new Obsidian 45. I've ordered some IMI/Fiochhi/PPU in 9mm, but what are the quieter 45 loads? I've read that all 230 grain 45 is subsonic, but like 9mm subsonic, are certain brands/weights of 45 quieter than others?

Are there more reasonably priced loads over "specialty" loads. I couldn't find any Freedom/HUSH ammo in stock in 9mm, but the Fiochhi and PPU were much cheaper than the posted prices on the HUSH.

Thanks.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quieter 45 loads?

Post by quiettime »

I don't know and don't ever recall hearing any discussion about it.

I would imagine ammo "for short barrel guns" or better self defense ammo (less flash for low light situations) would be quieter but it's not going to be the cheapest. Our market is very limited.

I bet adding a little white lithium grease or wire pulling gel to your can will make a bigger difference than that of the "quietest cheap ammo"
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

I can't think of any factory .45 loads that are along the lines of the 9mm Hush.

Yes, all 230 gr. loads are sub in pistol barrels, but some brands are definitely quieter. WWB, for example, seems to have more pop than Remington white & green box or Federal bulk pack.

Handloading is your best option. Light loads running in the low to mid 700 FPS range will still cycle most guns but are going to be quieter than factory 830-850 FPS loads.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll try some of the Remington white and green or Federal bulk. I don't hand load as it would only be a matter of time before I blew myself up!!