New in Virginia

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

greg1147

New in Virginia

Post by greg1147 »

I feel very fortunate to have found this forum and a plus to be in a somewhat free state for the time being, previously the Republik of Massachusetts.
My wait time now is six months from check cashed for my first suppressor, for my second suppressor I am considering a a build.
Right now my head is spinning with all the tech and data I really don't know where to start. I have access to a lathe and end mill. So my bottom line question is start from scratch, do the home work, and build or consider a filter build for a start the move on to the next level. Great to be here.
TIA Greg
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: New in Virginia

Post by Historian »

[
greg1147 wrote:I feel very fortunate to have found this forum and a plus to be in a somewhat free state for the time being, previously the Republik of Massachusetts.
My wait time now is six months from check cashed for my first suppressor, for my second suppressor I am considering a a build.
Right now my head is spinning with all the tech and data I really don't know where to start. I have access to a lathe and end mill. So my bottom line question is start from scratch, do the home work, and build or consider a filter build for a start the move on to the next level. Great to be here.
TIA Greg
Welcome, another hero of The Great Escape! :)

Suggest bypassing a filter build and go directly to a real can. Our
NZ resident expert Enfield has many detailed builds.

Captain L. is a profound storehouse of knowledge on every aspect
of silencer building, historical knowledge, and tolerance.
A treasure.

Doubloon and T-Rex are folks I look up to.

LavaRed has contributed munificently to experimentation and
empirical success.

Mongo of old, now on NFA site, again is a gray beard,

Again, welcome. Please share your developments with
us 'scruffy curmudgeons'.

Best.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I'm the handsome "scruffy curmudgeon"

I'm across the line in the other communist enclave Maryland.

I would strongly suggest a .22 rimfire suppressor unless you already have one. The ultimate design is dependent upon your skill set imagination and available tools. Materials are available often between members or online. This group ranges between current or retired professional manufactures to enthusiasts and novice hobbyist machinists. If I can be of help drop me a line.I try to answer all questions or I'll point you in the right direction.

-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

When the Good Captain was in his prime:

<< https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... g..i&w=170 >>

Some starting statistics gleaned over the years here for a .22 can:

For remarkable quiet: L = 9.5"+; 1" I.D. can.

First blast baffle spacer in .5" -1" range; then around 5 stepped M baffles,
finishing with as many K's to fit.

From past British MM1 Parker Hale .22 can a safety range thirty thousandths holes. Experienced machinists
lower hole size in .280" range.

Please share your development.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The insult my body could do to this costume is legend.

The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

Novice machinist/hobbyist here, took the advice from the experts here and ended up with a fine sounding 22LR can made from tubing and rod stock on an ancient lathe. Took me a while. Very rewarding. Go for it!
YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36