Which "pill bottle" micro-can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Mike M.

Which "pill bottle" micro-can?

Post by Mike M. »

I'm looking into the "pill bottle" micro-cans. The Tornado Tech Oxy-22 and the GSL Pill Box. Wet, wiped, and insanely small.

This would not be my first .22 suppressor (I own an AWC Titan Three and a SWR Omega, and have a Q Erector in the transfer pipeline), but a specialty can. Any recommendations/comments?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which "pill bottle" micro-can?

Post by Historian »

Mike, the smallest, simplest, and marginally effective
micro silencer you can make is to copy the 1960's Parker
Hale MM1, with no internals just an front end
cap .030" hole with a snorkel tube going back from
the front and extending ⅔ of the way down.

Then proceeding in this vein the shortest can would be a
small ½" x 28TPI muzzle brake.
Just pay $200 tax stamp and then
slip on a steel cylinder. If you do try this please give
us the meter results. A WAG could even attain a sound reduction
of a surprising 1.5 Db.

e.g., << https://www.ebay.com/itm/223-223-Stainl ... rk:52:pf:0 >>

But Why?
quietoldfart
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Which "pill bottle" micro-can?

Post by quietoldfart »

Not insanely small at 4.5" OAL, 3.5" from the muzzle (the rest is there to register on the barrel as a shoulder isn't possible on such a fixed-barrel pistol), but this suppressor houses 5 short K baffles and renders CCI standard velocity quiet enough that it becomes comfortable to shoot in a small room. Not that I'd recommend such as a habit, but in testing I've found even a very acoustically reflective room not to be a problem. I can imagine even more refinements to the baffles perhaps making it possible to achieve such a result with an inch less. Maybe. But 2.5" from the muzzle, without an ablative added, is probably as short as one would want to go. I use white lithium grease on the first few baffles, enough to render cleaning as an easy chore, not enough to significantly modify blast noise.