Octane 9: Looking for top tier 9mm pistol host for dedicated range role. Heavy, low bore axis, no gas in the face.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

db0

Octane 9: Looking for top tier 9mm pistol host for dedicated range role. Heavy, low bore axis, no gas in the face.

Post by db0 »

I'm struggling to find opinions of people that have experience comparing with multiple handgun hosts. The interwebs say the 226 and the USP are the best hosts ever, but I just don't love them even though I want to. I love my CZ 75 SP-01, but it is extremely gassy in the face. Glock 17 is not gassy in the face at all, but I'd like to get something that is geared towards long range accuracy.

I looked at the Arsenal Strike One, but it sounds like the thigger is meh.

Looking for opinions and experience from people that have lots of hands on experience with 9mm hosts.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Re: Octane 9: Looking for top tier 9mm pistol host for dedicated range role. Heavy, low bore axis, no gas in the face.

Post by ECCO Machine »

1911 seems like a no-brainer for your requirements.

I would say one of the Elite Tangoflios, but threaded barrels are hard to come by, and any of the tapered cone variants (Limited, Gold, Etc.) are an expensive proposition for adapters. I'll do them, but it doesn't come cheap.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Octane 9: Looking for top tier 9mm pistol host for dedicated range role. Heavy, low bore axis, no gas in the face.

Post by fishman »

I just bought a cz P-09 for the free silencerco octane that I will be getting. I hear that sp01s are bad hosts. Are P07 and P-09s as well?

My ideal handgun would be a double stack 1911 in 9 or 45. Threaded with tall sights.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
db0

Post by db0 »

ECCO Machine wrote:1911 seems like a no-brainer for your requirements.

I would say one of the Elite Tangoflios, but threaded barrels are hard to come by, and any of the tapered cone variants (Limited, Gold, Etc.) are an expensive proposition for adapters. I'll do them, but it doesn't come cheap.
I forgot to mention someone else mentioned a 9mm Dan Wesson 1911 would be perfect. Do you have any other brand recommendations? I know hardly anything about 1911 models.

I'm willing to spend good money to get a dream host. I don't want to blindly spend just because of a brand name, but I will spend if it means significant improvements in these categories:
- smooth shooter/extremely low recoil
- no gas in the face
- extremely accurate at 15-25 yards
- might as well have suppressor height sights since it's going to serve as a dedicated suppressor host
- really nice trigger
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

How about an m9 with suppressor sights?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

I absolutely love my double stack para p14.45. Its a 1990s model. The remington double stack 1911s are just Paras with a remington rollmark (Remington bought para).

The only double stack, threaded barrel, tall sight, 1911 I'm aware of is remington's. RIA, and STI might also offer them. Or you could have a 1911 smith fit a threaded barrel to an existing 1911.

If you're ok with single stack (im not) then you have way more options.

Be aware that parts interchangability between manufacturers is poor. Parts often require fitting to get them to run perfectly.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

db0 wrote:I'm struggling to find opinions of people that have experience comparing with multiple handgun hosts. The interwebs say the 226 and the USP are the best hosts ever, but I just don't love them even though I want to. I love my CZ 75 SP-01, but it is extremely gassy in the face. Glock 17 is not gassy in the face at all, but I'd like to get something that is geared towards long range accuracy.

Looking for opinions and experience from people that have lots of hands on experience with 9mm hosts.
From what I've read over the years, what I've seen and read on YouTube - especially Silencer Shop stats - and personal experience the quietest 9mm hosts out there are the Sig MK25/226, the Colt 1911 9mm and the S&W MP9. All have the correct dwell or lock or time when the slide opens to optimize getting as much bullet and trailing gas down the barrel before the slide opens. Have read a number of times that's why the Navy went with the MK25. I run my Sig (sent it in for the short reset trigger and some trigger and action work, it's probably like an Elite or a Legion now) with a Mystic X or a Tirant 9M and foamy lithium spray grease from the "Blaster" brand of spray products. I buy it from Auto Zone and O'Reilly's. If you goop up a can, it will stay put and foamy for a very long time, ready to go... seems to be good for three-four mags.
George from Alaska
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

gsyoung54 wrote:
From what I've read over the years, what I've seen and read on YouTube - especially Silencer Shop stats - and personal experience the quietest 9mm hosts out there are the Sig MK25/226, the Colt 1911 9mm and the S&W MP9.
Beretta 92 models are also up there in the quiet category, and pretty much top of the heap for reliability as suppressor hosts with their locking system, will even run without a booster in many cases. Issue with them is blowback due to the open slide design, which can be pretty bad when you combine high backpressure cans with loads that use slower powders, peppering the shooter with debris. I love my Berettas, but there are certain loads I just plain avoid in them when suppressed. On the other hand, with a light-ish charge of fast powder like HP38/Win231 behind a 147, it's a real pleasure. Running my 2nd gen Phoenix with 147s over 3.5 grs. Win 231 on the 92 is barely louder than a good .22 can with subsonics on a pistol.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

ECCO Machine wrote:
gsyoung54 wrote:
From what I've read over the years, what I've seen and read on YouTube - especially Silencer Shop stats - and personal experience the quietest 9mm hosts out there are the Sig MK25/226, the Colt 1911 9mm and the S&W MP9.
Beretta 92 models are also up there in the quiet category, and pretty much top of the heap for reliability as suppressor hosts with their locking system, will even run without a booster in many cases. Issue with them is blowback due to the open slide design, which can be pretty bad when you combine high backpressure cans with loads that use slower powders, peppering the shooter with debris. I love my Berettas, but there are certain loads I just plain avoid in them when suppressed. On the other hand, with a light-ish charge of fast powder like HP38/Win231 behind a 147, it's a real pleasure. Running my 2nd gen Phoenix with 147s over 3.5 grs. Win 231 on the 92 is barely louder than a good .22 can with subsonics on a pistol.
Good info.. thanks! You know in all the years I've been shooting and an FFL/SOT I've sold a lot of Berettas and shot most of the 9mm models but never got one for myself I'll have to get one of the FDE ones with the factory threaded barrel. I shot my army buddys one and it was very wuiet with my cans and some S&B 158 gr ammunition. Haven't got my new reloading bench finished. I had to move to be with my elderly father and will probably be at his house till the end... so building a new bench with two new Dillons and a good ole Rock Chucker. I'll write your load data down for now!
George from Alaska
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

fishman wrote:I just bought a cz P-09 for the free silencerco octane that I will be getting. I hear that sp01s are bad hosts. Are P07 and P-09s as well?

My ideal handgun would be a double stack 1911 in 9 or 45. Threaded with tall sights.
Weird. I have a CZ 75 SP-01 that came suppressor ready, and it's very pleasant to shoot. I've only shot it suppressed 3 or 4 times, but I didn't notice any blowback like I have with other hosts. It's quieter than a kid's cap gun (after FRP) with PPU or Fiocchi 158 gr ss. My can is a Rugged Obsidian, so maybe that's a difference?

(Disclaimer - I've only had a centerfire suppressor for a couple of months and have only shot it with 4 hosts.)

I'd love to have a Sig 226 but can't bring myself to shell out that much cash.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

db0 wrote:I'm struggling to find opinions of people that have experience comparing with multiple handgun hosts. The interwebs say the 226 and the USP are the best hosts ever, but I just don't love them even though I want to. I love my CZ 75 SP-01, but it is extremely gassy in the face. Glock 17 is not gassy in the face at all, but I'd like to get something that is geared towards long range accuracy.

I have two P226's because I feel they are the best platform. The S&W M&P is excellent also... Silencer Shop did a lot of their videos with the M&P in 9mm for 9mm cans.
Lastly, maybe the best host is a 1911 style in 9.... I know from extensive testing that the 1911 45 ACP is about the quietest host/suppressor combo out there, in fact I'm at the range now in the dark in Alaska conducting 45 suppressor tests... wet is best!
Last edited by gsyoung54 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George from Alaska
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

S&W M&P 9's are mentioned multiple times as good hosts. Does this apply to the M&P 2.0 9mm as well? I have an M&P 45 2.0 that's suppressor ready. It's pleasant to shoot but does have a fair amount of blowback, but I've only shot it with Remington green/white box 45.

I'm wondering if those mentioning M&P 9's are referring to the original M&P's, and/or would this apply to the 2.0's as well. I'd consider one as they are very reasonably priced. (At the moment, grabagun has a suppressor ready model for $417!)
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

ghmj07 wrote:
fishman wrote:I just bought a cz P-09 for the free silencerco octane that I will be getting. I hear that sp01s are bad hosts. Are P07 and P-09s as well?

Weird. I have a CZ 75 SP-01 that came suppressor ready, and it's very pleasant to shoot. I've only shot it suppressed 3 or 4 times, but I didn't notice any blowback like I have with other hosts. It's quieter than a kid's cap gun (after FRP) with PPU or Fiocchi 158 gr ss. My can is a Rugged Obsidian, so maybe that's a difference?

(Disclaimer - I've only had a centerfire suppressor for a couple of months and have only shot it with 4 hosts.)

I'd love to have a Sig 226 but can't bring myself to shell out that much cash.
You have a great gun, the best economically commercially available subsonic ammo and a fantastic suppressor. Did you get the 45 Obsidian or the 9? I've been using my Obsidian 45 with the right pistons and the 9mm end cap and it does a pretty good job but sound tests show that a can optimized for 9, even though its smaller, will perform better - probably due to the smaller center channel.
George from Alaska
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

You have a great gun, the best economically commercially available subsonic ammo and a fantastic suppressor. Did you get the 45 Obsidian or the 9? I've been using my Obsidian 45 with the right pistons and the 9mm end cap and it does a pretty good job but sound tests show that a can optimized for 9, even though its smaller, will perform better - probably due to the smaller center channel.
Thanks. I went with the 45 Obsidian. Per Rugged's website, there's 2.5 db difference between the Obsidian 45 with 9mm and the Obsidian 9 (123.9 vs 121.4) in full length. Not sure how that works out in the real world. I have the 9mm end cap but haven't put it on yet as 9mm has been pretty quiet with the 45 end cap, but your comment has me eager to try it!

I never thought of this before, but I wonder if Rugged 9mm baffles would work in the 45? The outside diameter on their website is the same, but the length is slightly different. I guess it would be legal, right, since the serial number is on the tube? I wonder if Rugged would sell you the baffles with a spacer for the difference in length. Probably wouldn't be worth it for the cost for 2.5 db, but I wonder if anyone's ever tried it.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

ghmj07 wrote:
Thanks. I went with the 45 Obsidian. Per Rugged's website, there's 2.5 db difference between the Obsidian 45 with 9mm and the Obsidian 9 (123.9 vs 121.4) in full length. Not sure how that works out in the real world. I have the 9mm end cap but haven't put it on yet as 9mm has been pretty quiet with the 45 end cap, but your comment has me eager to try it!

I never thought of this before, but I wonder if Rugged 9mm baffles would work in the 45? The outside diameter on their website is the same, but the length is slightly different. I guess it would be legal, right, since the serial number is on the tube? I wonder if Rugged would sell you the baffles with a spacer for the difference in length. Probably wouldn't be worth it for the cost for 2.5 db, but I wonder if anyone's ever tried it.
I have a FFL and a SOT and have tried over the years to get individual parts from suppressor companies... other than end caps and the mounts they won't sell you anything like a baffle or a spacer and technically even if all you did was to cut a piece of aluminum tubing to make a spacer in a suppressor you already owned the ATF will get upset, considering it "intent to construct another suppressor". I even have to send my older wipe using suppressors to the manufacturer so that they can unscrew my end cap, drop one or two pieces of round plastic in my tube and sometimes charge me... You would have to be a SOT Manufacturer to make any suppressor parts. I'm only a SOT Dealer so I can't make any parts or do even simple repairs on customer's suppressors. Most companies like Rugged are very good at customer service for repair or replacement parts but you always have to send your unit in to them, I think that's to keep people from keeping an extra baffle or spacer...

I'm considering getting an Obsidian 9 even though the dB improvement borders on not even to hear that little just because the whole unit is shorter.... if I get rich soon, which may not happen...
Last edited by gsyoung54 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George from Alaska
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

I have a FFL and a SOT and have tried over the years to get individual parts from suppressor companies... other than end caps and the mounts they won't sell you anything like a baffle or a spacer and technically even if all you did was to cut a piece of aluminum tubing to make a spacer in a suppressor you already owned the ATF will get upset, considering it "intent to construct another suppressor". I even have to send my older wipe using suppressors to the manufacturer so that they can unscrew my end cap, drop one or two pieces of round plastic in my tube and sometimes charge me... You would have to be a SOT Manufacturer to make any suppressor parts. I'm only a SOT Dealer so I can't make any parts or do even simple repairs on customer's suppressors. Most companies like Rugged are very good at customer service for repair or replacement parts but you always have to send your unit in to them, I think that's to keep people from keeping an extra baffle or spacer...
Thank you for explaining this. I had no idea!
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

Anyone here seen the tools I make for Octane, Obsidian, etc.?

suppressortools.com

There is a YouTube review on the website.
Chase

suppressortools.com
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

chase wrote:Anyone here seen the tools I make for Octane, Obsidian, etc.?

suppressortools.com

There is a YouTube review on the website.
I've got several of Chase's tools and they work well and are very handy.... always in my suppressor accessories bag.
George from Alaska