Silencer back pressure/ sonic cleaning

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

TacticalBeard

Silencer back pressure/ sonic cleaning

Post by TacticalBeard »

Hey guys I took part in the SICO summer even a while back so I have a CHIMERA 300 in NFA jail and an octane 45 still waiting on that to be produced. I was curious about how the chimera dose in the lines of back pressure since it’s a newer suppressor I’m not really finding any reviews for it I’d assume it will be similar to an omega or saker what’s your guys experience with back pressure?. Chimera will be swapped out between an AR15 and a PTR91

And for cleaning the octane 45 what kind of sonic cleaner and solution would you recommend
ghmj07

Re: Silencer back pressure/ sonic cleaning

Post by ghmj07 »

TacticalBeard wrote:And for cleaning the octane 45 what kind of sonic cleaner and solution would you recommend
I've been eyeing an ultrasonic cleaner as well. I'm leaning toward the Hornady 2L Lock and Load. I look forward to see what others are using. I've seen lots of online videos of folks using 50/50 Purple Power and water in ultrasonics.

I've used Purple Power in a small crock pot to clean my rimfire suppressor for a couple of years. I put in 50/50 hot water and PP and let it stew for a couple of hours on high. Warning - it does leave a purple hue on the stainless steel baffles. Not sure what it would do to a metal finish. Maybe someone else can comment on whether it will affect finishes.

The crock pot doesn't work miracles on the rimfire goop, but it does decrease cleaning time significantly (not including the 2 hours in the post). Instead of having to scrape/scrub all the baffles, I can lightly scrub about 90% of the goop except for the first couple of baffles which still require more scrubbing, but not nearly as much as when I didn't use the crock pot. I hope an ultrasonic will improve on the crock pot method, but I don't expect a miracle on the rimfire baffles. I'm hoping it will do considerably better on centerfire baffles and gun parts.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

ghmj07 wrote: I've used Purple Power in a small crock pot to clean my rimfire suppressor for a couple of years.
Be careful with that. Purple Power is highly caustic, contains sodium metasilicate. It'll eat bare aluminum pretty quickly.

Personally, I prefer to put 3 or 4 CCs of plain old H20 in them, fire off a couple mags and then promptly disassemble and wash with hot water & dish soap using a stiff toothbrush.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

ECCO Machine wrote:
ghmj07 wrote: I've used Purple Power in a small crock pot to clean my rimfire suppressor for a couple of years.
Be careful with that. Purple Power is highly caustic, contains sodium metasilicate. It'll eat bare aluminum pretty quickly.

Personally, I prefer to put 3 or 4 CCs of plain old H20 in them, fire off a couple mags and then promptly disassemble and wash with hot water & dish soap using a stiff toothbrush.
Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't put aluminum in the crock pot anyway, but I sure didn't know Purple Power harms aluminum. Thankfully, my rimfire bafffles are all stainless.

When you mention putting some water in the can and firing a couple of mags, are you referring to rimfire, centerfire, or either?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

ghmj07 wrote:...
Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't put aluminum in the crock pot anyway, but I sure didn't know Purple Power harms aluminum. Thankfully, my rimfire bafffles are all stainless.
https://www.clean-rite.com/faq

Can Purple Power be used on Stainless Steel and Aluminum?
Do not use Purple Power on Stainless Steel or Aluminum as it could leave white streaks or a hazy film. If accidentally used on Stainless Steel or Aluminum and you have this residue, try buffing with a Metal Polish, such as Wenols or Mothers Metal Polish to restore finish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

Can Purple Power be used on Stainless Steel and Aluminum?
Do not use Purple Power on Stainless Steel or Aluminum as it could leave white streaks or a hazy film. If accidentally used on Stainless Steel or Aluminum and you have this residue, try buffing with a Metal Polish, such as Wenols or Mothers Metal Polish to restore finish.
Good info. Thanks!