Suppressor height sight recommendations

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ghmj07

Suppressor height sight recommendations

Post by ghmj07 »

I’m looking for iron sights to use in conjunction with a Polymer 80 G17 clone hosting a Rugged Obsidian. I prefer something with plain white dots but will take tritium. I’d like to avoid black sights (no dots) if at all possible.

The top edge of my Rugged Obsidian sits about 9 – 10 mm higher than the top of my Polymer80 17 clone. Just to be safe, I’ll look for sights with dots that are slightly higher than that. Would 11 mm be high enough, or should I go 12 just to be safe?

Can anyone recommend sights for this setup? I’m not sure where to look. Many manufacturers don’t give clear specs regarding the height of the dots above the frame. XS Sights makes a set for the 17 which they claim can be used with suppressors up to 1.37 inches, which is the diameter of the Obsidian; however, if you look at their install instructions, they rely on Loctite instead of a sight pusher, and the install/adjustment looks a bit involved for a gun range (where I’m used to a sight pusher), so those are out for me.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
LoboLoco

Re: Suppressor height sight recommendations

Post by LoboLoco »

I just put Trijicon suppressor height night sights on a G19 MOS. Both dots measure .317" or 8.05mm above the slide (to center of dot). They clear my TiRant45. I remember they also had plain white or all black or combinations. Not sure if it was Brownell's or OpticsPlanet. Hope that helps.

Edit to add: if my measurements are accurate, the dots are .668" above centerline of bore, which might just work for your can. It'll be close.
Be wary of those who seek to govern others. For while they proclaim their moral foundation, and noble intentions, make no mistake - they intend to govern others.
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

Loboloco,

Thanks for the recommendation. Those are definitely on my short list!

If you don’t mind, do they look like these from the Trijicon website?

I couldn't get the image to load. Here's the link to the Trijicon website:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products ... 1-C-600649

Thanks.
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

Loboloco,

I've been studying these sights and have one more question.

Is the rear sight installed using a sight pusher or hammer/punch? Or is it held in the dovetail by adhesive and a set screw?

I've installed a few rear sights using a sight pusher and a stone if the base was a bit too wide, but I've never installed one using adhesive/set screw.

Thanks.
LoboLoco

Post by LoboLoco »

ghmj07 wrote:Loboloco,

Thanks for the recommendation. Those are definitely on my short list!

If you don’t mind, do they look like these from the Trijicon website?

I couldn't get the image to load. Here's the link to the Trijicon website:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products ... 1-C-600649

Thanks.
Yes, that's exactly the set I have. They installed easily with my MGW sight pusher.

Also, remember that the dots are .062" below the top edge of the sight. So they may be tall enough.

One more thing I didn't think of ahead of time. Some holsters don't fit anymore :-(

Again, hope that info helps.
Be wary of those who seek to govern others. For while they proclaim their moral foundation, and noble intentions, make no mistake - they intend to govern others.
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

Yes, that's exactly the set I have. They installed easily with my MGW sight pusher.

Also, remember that the dots are .062" below the top edge of the sight. So they may be tall enough.

One more thing I didn't think of ahead of time. Some holsters don't fit anymore :-(

Again, hope that info helps.
Thank you. Very helpful!
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

Just in case it helps anyone else with a similar build, I finally got around to finishing the P80 G17 Gen 3 clone build. Even though they were all black (no dots), I went with Ameriglo Gl-507 sights. The front sight is 0.407" high, or about 10.3 mm high. They turned out to be the perfect height, maybe 1 or 1.5 mm above the Obsidian when mounted.

I only put 70 rounds through the gun today, but POI was spot on with respect to height, both with and without the suppressor at about 15 and 20 yards.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

ghmj07 wrote:Just in case it helps anyone else with a similar build, I finally got around to finishing the P80 G17 Gen 3 clone build. Even though they were all black (no dots), I went with Ameriglo Gl-507 sights. The front sight is 0.407" high, or about 10.3 mm high. They turned out to be the perfect height, maybe 1 or 1.5 mm above the Obsidian when mounted.

I only put 70 rounds through the gun today, but POI was spot on with respect to height, both with and without the suppressor at about 15 and 20 yards.
That's good to know been looking at those sights for my G17 and my Tirant.