First Form 1 Build

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gwjones

First Form 1 Build

Post by gwjones »

Hey all,
I'm new to this forum. I'm starting to work on my first Form 1 suppressor. I have all of my paperwork back so now I'm ready to get started. I have been researching suppressor designs and how they work for quite a while now but still have a lot to learn.
This suppressor won't be used on anything bigger than my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action rifle, it's being used for hunting and occasional target shooting. (Does not need to be rated to handle full auto or even semi auto.
I'm starting with a 9.6" Titanium tube (1.5" OD - 1.36 ID - .07" wall thickness. I'm going with a direct thread attachment.
I'm having a blast baffle machined (1.2" tall with .05 to .07" wall thickness.
There will be a (.16" space between each baffle chamber). I'm going have (7) 1" holes machined the length of the mono-core with mouse holes drilled to outer chambers.
I'm working with a machinist on a mono-core baffle design machined out of either 7075 or 6061 aluminum. I went with a little longer tube to help acquire more volume. My main question is, will the 7075 or 6061 aluminum be sufficient material to use for the mono-core baffle since I'm starting with a stainless steel blast chamber and a titanium tube?
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Re: First Form 1 Build

Post by ECCO Machine »

gwjones wrote: There will be a (.16" space between each baffle chamber). I'm going have (7) 1" holes machined the length of the mono-core with mouse holes drilled to outer chambers.
I'm working with a machinist on a mono-core baffle design machined out of either 7075 or 6061 aluminum. I went with a little longer tube to help acquire more volume. My main question is, will the 7075 or 6061 aluminum be sufficient material to use for the mono-core baffle since I'm starting with a stainless steel blast chamber and a titanium tube?
One, be careful about contracting work. Anyone who's not an 07/02 or 10/02 FFL can't be making silencer parts for you, and it needs to be a completed suppressor before you give it to a manufacturer to make internals.

Two, unless you're OK with firing no more than 2 rounds per minute, don't use aluminum in centerfire rifle cans. Too much heat input. Your aluminum will weaken severely above 300°F and the temper will be lost if you go over much over 500°F. That happens quickly with rifles

Lastly, even well developed monocores are never as efficient as stacked baffles, and getting them right is a process. Plain old 60° or 50° cone baffles, on the other hand, are gonna work quite well even without refining features & spacing.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
gwjones

Post by gwjones »

I have all of my Form 1 paperwork back and I'm ready to go. I was told by a supervisor at the ATF that I could hire a machinist to do the work but I have to be present the entire time that they are doing the machine work. (Sounds like the mono-core baffle design might not be worth the extra trouble).
It looks like I'm just going to go with stacked baffles. Going to be doing more research on baffles. Thank you very much for your input.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

gwjones wrote: I was told by a supervisor at the ATF that I could hire a machinist to do the work but I have to be present the entire time that they are doing the machine work.
That's correct. Anyone can help you or perform operations in your physical presence, but only an SOT can possess and/or make parts for your suppressor in your absence, and only once it's a completed suppressor (at minimum a rear mount/cap, tube and front cap that can pass a bullet)
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
gwjones

Post by gwjones »

I've decided to form freeze plugs for baffles or at least try. I tried the other day but I didn't do well.