True dissipator with dedicated can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

greyeyes

True dissipator with dedicated can?

Post by greyeyes »

Has anyone here seen or built a TRUE dissipator AR (16" barrel, rifle length gas, gas port actually drilled at rifle length) for dedicated use with a can of some kind? My understanding is true dissipators need to have their gas ports opened up in order to get consistent functioning with such short dwell time, but I was wondering if you could use a more normal sized port if the intention was to always run a can? Would boosted back pressure (Depending on the silencer chosen) aid in reliability?

I'm super duper new to the whole silencer game, but I was just thinking about this. In my mind, suppression would be pretty good on a longer barrel, gas blowback might be cut down as running without the can would be near or below the minimum gas needed to run the gun and addition of the silencer would bring things to more "normal" levels, recoil would be mild with rifle gas, and depending on the silencer used it might handle similarly to a 20" gun?

I'm mostly just curious. Are my theories correct? Have any of you seen or experienced such a setup? If I'm wrong, where am I falling short (Please school me!!)? I'm not putting much thought into if such a rifle fills a role or is better/worse than other options, I'm just curious and it's something I've thought about quite a bit. Any input from those more experienced than myself would be very much appreciated!!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: True dissipator with dedicated can?

Post by John A. »

longer barrel does burn out more powder before it enters the can and sounds "better" (I think good is probably not the right word here).

It's still going to be loud.

And after you add the can, will at least be long enough to use as a crutch if you twist your ankle.
I don't care what your chart says
greyeyes

Post by greyeyes »

John A. wrote:longer barrel does burn out more powder before it enters the can and sounds "better" (I think good is probably not the right word here).

It's still going to be loud.
Yeah, I definitely understand that a "good" sounding 5.56 setup will only be considered such relative to OTHER 5.56 guns. I'm not expecting 22lr or 300blk levels here.
John A. wrote:And after you add the can, will at least be long enough to use as a crutch if you twist your ankle.
Oh good, at least there's some practicality built in here. :lol:
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Glad you saw the humor that was intended. :!:

I sometimes do shoot my 20" retro with a can. It sounds better than shooting a carbine or sbr barrel.

But you're still going to be shooting a 16 inch barrel, regardless of where the gas port is located.

Most 223/556 don't achieve full powder burn until you get to about the 22 inch ballpark. That's why even A1/A2's have flash hiders.
I don't care what your chart says