Aluminum tube standing up to heat and pressure? Titanium spacers.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Aluminum tube standing up to heat and pressure? Titanium spacers.

Post by Hannibalbarca »

It is a given that aluminum is weak and can fail very fast with an bar and rapid fire but how do the other parts of the suppressor play a part?
If you have titanium end caps and stainless baffles and titanium spacers, how much heat do they soak up and do the spacers bear the brunt of the pressure while the aluminum merely acting as a heat sink?
Does anyone know the force generated against the end caps when the gasses push against the baffles(say a low and high end, 223 18 barrel and 300 win mag 22). It’d be interesting to know after how many rounds of 223 she it would take for 6061, 7075 and 2024 to fail at the threads.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Re: Aluminum tube standing up to heat and pressure? Titanium spacers.

Post by gsyoung54 »

It's not accurate to say that it's a given that aluminum (there are too many types to discuss here) is inherently weak. It's what people fly in every day. Aircraft and Aerospace grade aluminum behaves a lot differently than a thin soda can tossed into your bonfire. I have some 30+ year old aluminum tubed suppressors that I shoot regularly and have not had any failures. I only buy name brand and have not Form 1'ed anything yet.
I just got the relatively new Kraken 9mm suppressor (soon to be called the CGS Mod 9) that I believe is all aluminum with the exception of the piston and spring. It is the quietest 9mm suppressor for it's length and some claim overall. Check out the excellent review at the NFA channel with Adam using superior recording equipment and shooting the Kraken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iZ7bHCWlMo

I'm an SOT and own about 60 suppressors and have never experienced or heard of a threaded end cap being blown off a suppressor, in fact most are made to be fairly frangible so that if you get an end cap strike it is usually easily repaired. I've had two of those end cap strikes in 40 years of shooting suppressors and both were fixed by the factory and returned to me withing two weeks from the time I mailed it in for repair.

Phil Dater, currently at Gemtech, has published studies of internal pressures of suppressors using sensors inserted into the tubes. I don't have a link for you but I found it pretty easily when I was looking for it.
George from Alaska