CZ SP01 vs Sig P226 (and also SW M&P 2.0) 9mm hosts?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ghmj07

CZ SP01 vs Sig P226 (and also SW M&P 2.0) 9mm hosts?

Post by ghmj07 »

I have the fever for a Sig P226 9mm as a host. Reading here and elsewhere, it’s regarded as one of the quietest 9mm hosts. It’s so expensive, though, I’m just wondering if it would be much quieter than my CZ SP01. I’d hate to spend $1,200 - $1,400 and then it’s not really much quieter.

I know it’s subjective, but if anyone’s had the opportunity to shoot both, was there much of a difference? I know you can't really compare the CZ to the Sig in terms of overall form and function, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much quieter the Sig might be.

My CZ SP01 was purchased suppressor ready. Based on some Fiocchi and PPU subsonic rounds I saw recommended in other posts, I’m very pleased with it. Shooting outdoors with my Rugged Obsidian 45 and 9mm piston, I’d compare the sound to somewhat less than a kid’s cap gun – the old kind that used the red rolls of paper caps. Completely comfortable with no hearing protection, even the FRP is not uncomfortable. And that’s using the 45 end cap. I’ve purchased a 9mm end cap but haven’t tried it yet.

Unless I find a used P226 from someone I trust, I’d probably go the new route. The cheapest way I’ve figured out so far would be one already set up for RMR as they already have high sights. I can find them online for about $1,000, plus I figure $200 - $250 for an aftermarket barrel so I can use my existing piston (as opposed to the real Sig barrel with metric threads).

Also, anyone running a S&W M&P 2.0 9mm suppressed? I saw some posts where some said the M&P were good hosts, but based on the dates, I suspect those were the M&P 1.0’s, so I’d appreciate feedback on 2.0’s if available. You can find the S&W M&P 2.0 9’s suppressor ready for about $425 if you shop around. Not that I'd compare it to a Sig, but I have a M&P 2.0 in 45, and it's a pleasure to shoot suppressed or non-suppressed.

I know this is subjective, but any comments appreciated.
ghmj07

Re: CZ SP01 vs Sig P226 (and also SW M&P 2.0) 9mm hosts?

Post by ghmj07 »

I visited LGS this afternoon. It’s also an indoor range and Class III dealer. FWIW, one of the employees there recalled shooting a CZ SP01 and a Sig P226 in the same session with the same ammo. He couldn’t recall which suppressor was used but that it was the same on 3 or 4 hosts. He said he preferred the Sig, but he didn’t think he preferred it $1,200 more if you already have a SP01. He could notice a small difference shooting outdoors. Wasn’t sure he would have noticed indoors.

Still looking for other experiences. Also, if anyone’s shot an M&P 2.0 9mm suppressed, I’d love to hear about it. Above I said I really enjoyed my 45 M&P 2.0, but it does have a fair amount of splashback, at least with Remington green and white. I’m wondering if the M&P 2.0 9mm would have splashback, or is the 45 just more prone to splashback?
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

ghmj07 wrote:I have the fever for a Sig P226 9mm as a host. Reading here and elsewhere, it’s regarded as one of the quietest 9mm hosts. It’s so expensive, though, I’m just wondering if it would be much quieter than my CZ SP01. I’d hate to spend $1,200 - $1,400 and then it’s not really much quieter.

I know it’s subjective, but if anyone’s had the opportunity to shoot both, was there much of a difference? I know you can't really compare the CZ to the Sig in terms of overall form and function, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much quieter the Sig might be.

My CZ SP01 was purchased suppressor ready. Based on some Fiocchi and PPU subsonic rounds I saw recommended in other posts, I’m very pleased with it. Shooting outdoors with my Rugged Obsidian 45 and 9mm piston, I’d compare the sound to somewhat less than a kid’s cap gun – the old kind that used the red rolls of paper caps. Completely comfortable with no hearing protection, even the FRP is not uncomfortable. And that’s using the 45 end cap. I’ve purchased a 9mm end cap but haven’t tried it yet.

Unless I find a used P226 from someone I trust, I’d probably go the new route. The cheapest way I’ve figured out so far would be one already set up for RMR as they already have high sights. I can find them online for about $1,000, plus I figure $200 - $250 for an aftermarket barrel so I can use my existing piston (as opposed to the real Sig barrel with metric threads).

Also, anyone running a S&W M&P 2.0 9mm suppressed? I saw some posts where some said the M&P were good hosts, but based on the dates, I suspect those were the M&P 1.0’s, so I’d appreciate feedback on 2.0’s if available. You can find the S&W M&P 2.0 9’s suppressor ready for about $425 if you shop around. Not that I'd compare it to a Sig, but I have a M&P 2.0 in 45, and it's a pleasure to shoot suppressed or non-suppressed.

If you long for the P226 you should get one. Getting anything else will always make you wonder what if? The 226 is just great, I have two that I shoot suppressed, on is a P226 MK25 "Navy" model supposedly used by Navy Seals and other operator types. The prices you listed seem high and are probably full MSRP prices. Try J&G Sales and Bud's as they offer dealer pricing but you will then need an FFL and besides a transfer they may fairly want a small profit but it should not be as much as the numbers you quoted. Gun Broker has everything in the world new and used. If you have some patience and don't mind spending time on the site every day or two, you will find a good used P226 for much less than new. I wouldn't worry about getting a used 226, I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through mine and all I have ever done is to replace the $10 recoil spring whenever I subjectively want to...

For quite a while Silencer Shop ran a lot of dB tests with a M&P Core Pro. The M&P 1 or 2 is a great host. The 2.0 may have changed a few externals and the triggers are a little better than the 1.0 but they don't sound any better or worse than the 1.0. I have M&P 9's and 45's and they do well as suppressor hosts although I think the 9 does better than the 45 and I mean as compared to other hosts in the respective calibers.

A 1911 style will always be one of the finest 45 or 9mm hosts due to the lock or dwell time... it just works. Same with the Sig. I've done lot's of non-metered tests with identical suppressors on different hosts and the Sig really does seem to come out on top, plus you get the whole Sig coolness factor.

A lot of my friends shoot CZ's and they are surprising excellent for the money. Some I've seen and shot suppressed and they sound good, unfortunately I've never done a side by side test. Think I will buy a CZ threaded barrel pistol this month.

So again, if you really want the Sig you should get it. Don't have buyer's remorse when you buy something else to save a few hundred dollars.

Good hunting!
George from Alaska
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

gsyoung54 wrote:
ghmj07 wrote:I have the fever for a Sig P226 9mm as a host. Reading here and elsewhere, it’s regarded as one of the quietest 9mm hosts. It’s so expensive, though, I’m just wondering if it would be much quieter than my CZ SP01. I’d hate to spend $1,200 - $1,400 and then it’s not really much quieter.

If you long for the P226 you should get one. Getting anything else will always make you wonder what if? The 226 is just great, I have two that I shoot suppressed, on is a P226 MK25 "Navy" model supposedly used by Navy Seals and other operator types. The prices you listed seem high and are probably full MSRP prices. Try J&G Sales and Bud's as they offer dealer pricing but you will then need an FFL and besides a transfer they may fairly want a small profit but it should not be as much as the numbers you quoted. Gun Broker has everything in the world new and used. If you have some patience and don't mind spending time on the site every day or two, you will find a good used P226 for much less than new. I wouldn't worry about getting a used 226, I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through mine and all I have ever done is to replace the $10 recoil spring whenever I subjectively want to...

For quite a while Silencer Shop ran a lot of dB tests with a M&P Core Pro. The M&P 1 or 2 is a great host. The 2.0 may have changed a few externals and the triggers are a little better than the 1.0 but they don't sound any better or worse than the 1.0. I have M&P 9's and 45's and they do well as suppressor hosts although I think the 9 does better than the 45 and I mean as compared to other hosts in the respective calibers.

A 1911 style will always be one of the finest 45 or 9mm hosts due to the lock or dwell time... it just works. Same with the Sig. I've done lot's of non-metered tests with identical suppressors on different hosts and the Sig really does seem to come out on top, plus you get the whole Sig coolness factor.

A lot of my friends shoot CZ's and they are surprising excellent for the money. Some I've seen and shot suppressed and they sound good, unfortunately I've never done a side by side test. Think I will buy a CZ threaded barrel pistol this month.

So again, if you really want the Sig you should get it. Don't have buyer's remorse when you buy something else to save a few hundred dollars.

Good hunting!
Stop enabling me!!

Just kidding. Sorry I just now saw your reply. A couple of weeks ago I went ahead and purchased a M&P 2.0 which is suppressor ready. I'm not denying the Sig is a much better gun, but I just couldn't mentally justify the cost of it vs. the ~$440 I got the M&P for out the door!! And at that amount, I don't even have any remorse!

Of course, I picked it up last week, and the indoor range I'm a member of changed ownership, and the new owners are closing for 3 - 4 weeks to remodel. At least they claim they're honoring the existing memberships.

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to an outdoor range this weekend or next.

I appreciate your reply. There may still be a 226 in my future at some point.
ghmj07

Post by ghmj07 »

Thanks for the replies here and on similar questions I made here.

About a month ago, I acquired an LE trade-in P226 in 40. With some help from the guys on sigtalk.com, I was able to fit a Barsto semi-fit threaded 9mm conversion barrel. I finally tried it today, and it was awesome. It was indoors with earmuffs, so I couldn't get a good feel for the sound compared to my CZ, but it seemed really quiet. Other guys on the range were coming over, two of whom said they occasionally shot suppressed, and they couldn't believe how quiet it was.

I was shooting with a 16 lb recoil spring, and there a fair amount of blowback. Next time I'll try it with an 18 lb spring I have and see it if reduces the blowback and sound.

Including S+H, the transfer fee for the gun, a 9mm mag, and a Wolff recoil calibration pack, I'm in for ~$750, which from what I've seen is still a few hundred dollars cheaper than buying a new or new-ish P226 in 9mm and then a threaded barrel. Plus, I have 2 calibers, not that I'll be shooting the 40 that much.

Thanks again.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

Glad you got to try the S&W M&P, they are great suppressor hosts - Silencer Shop used to use them all the time for 9mm suppressor testing.
Especially happy for you on the Sig purchase! They really do shine as a suppressor host, something about their lock or dwell time. Different system but HKs roller block MP5 is very quiet for the same slight delayed bolt reason.
And you have two barrels! Don't give up on the 40 too easily, with a .45 suppressor like the Obsidian, Ghost or CGS's 45 can the right loads in a 40 can be very quiet and pack a bit more punch. The 40 does always seem to have a "snappier" pop to it different from a 9 or 45. Not totally sure why, maybe faster burning powders.
George from Alaska