One suppressor for everything

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Twin

One suppressor for everything

Post by Twin »

I would like a suppressor I could use on my AR15 .223 as well as a JustRight 9mm carbine. Also would want to use it on .22lr as well. What is out there that won't break the bank?
Twin
NRA Benefactor
NAHC, NAFC, SASS (ALL LIFE)
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: One suppressor for everything

Post by fishman »

You should really consider 2 silencers at a minimum if you want to shoot 22LR.

Get a good 22 silencer and one of these:
Liberty cosmic
Liberty mystic
SilencerCo hybrid
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Twin

Post by Twin »

I already have one .22lr suppressor . But would want the option of using one can for all 3 calibers.
Twin
NRA Benefactor
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Sorry, I don't know any commercial cans that meet your criteria.
I don't care what your chart says
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Twin wrote:I already have one .22lr suppressor . But would want the option of using one can for all 3 calibers.
Why? Use your 22 silencer for 22 and buy a centerfire silencer that you can use on any centerfire.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Why would you want to ruin your center fire can with lead that you can never fully clean out?
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Twin

Post by Twin »

To clarify. The can would be mainly for 9mm and 223. I just want to know if it would be possible and/or efficient to use the same can on a 22. I want something that can be cleaned. I know how dirty a 22 can gets from using a monocore can I have for 22 now.
Twin
NRA Benefactor
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

9mm and 223 are so inherently different that making a can that works well on both has never been achieved. That's why you can't go out and buy one.

If you want a can that will muffle 9mm and will muffle 223, sure it can be done.

Just not very as effectively on either as a dedicated can would be.

And further, needing to use heavier materials to withstand the 223 heat, will make for a heavy can regardless of what you mount it on.

My first can was made in order for me to have a "universal can" and for that, it did. I've used it on a lot of guns.

yes, 22lr does sound good on it. But having a pound and a half suppressor on the end of a 22, to be quite honest, is ludicrous.

I don't use it very often these days. It does sound pretty good on pistol caliber (subsonic guns). But on rifle calibers, is not hearing safe and obnoxious.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

The can would be mainly for 9mm and 223. I just want to know if it would be possible and/or efficient to use the same can on a 22
it will work, but it will suck. Just dont, especially since you already have a 22LR can. Just buy a liberty mystic/infinity x and be done. Keep using your 22 can for 22

5.56 form 1:
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

1972 Pontiac Catalina convertibles don’t do Nuremburg too well, and it’s hard to get laid in a Lamborghini. Some things are better suited for certain purposes.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

But I bet it would be easier to get laid if you owned a Lamborghini than a Catalina. :lol:
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

I said in, not with. :lol:
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

John A. wrote:But I bet it would be easier to get laid if you owned a Lamborghini than a Catalina. :lol:
Astute observation, Sir!

Aussie pal said " .... a Lamborghini is a wanker's car. Cannot come close to
an Aston Martin." Have to agree.

Especially the 2007 Vantage ... with its new upgraded clutch. :) :)

Jay Leno said long ago: " CHIPS pulled over a driver weaving all over
the highway. When they approached a young lady's head lifted into
view from leaning over driver's lap. The highway patrol said that
this happens around 10% of the time with California
drivers. The other 90% do not drive Porsches." :)

Best.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

Twin wrote:To clarify. The can would be mainly for 9mm and 223. I just want to know if it would be possible and/or efficient to use the same can on a 22. I want something that can be cleaned. I know how dirty a 22 can gets from using a monocore can I have for 22 now.
Anything is possible....Do what the guy above suggested and get a Mystic X, I have put that long thing on a .22 with a FBA and it will work to some degree but why? If you get any efficient 9mm or 5.56 can it usually comes with 1/2 x 28 threads, same as most .22 RFs.

People may laugh at you and you will not be able to come up with any real answer to why?

Use your .22 can and buy another one for 9 and .223, the Mystic X or Cosmic (I own both) like the man said will do the job but remember there is always a trade off when you try to get one ring to rule them all. Usually the real suppressor addicts (I have about 38.. it's worse than heroin) want a dedicated can for each specific purpose gun or at least one for each specific caliber, made and optimized for that caliber.

If it's a matter of money, just look at how much you paid for what you and possible your partner both drive.

Happy hunting.
George from Alaska
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

John A. wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:01 pm But I bet it would be easier to get laid if you owned a Lamborghini than a Catalina. :lol:
I got laid in a non running VW bug once.... when you really want some its amazing how flexible the two of you can be... of course I was skinny then and had hair... and my back hadn't yet been ruined by firefighting/medic work, and my hot dog stayed up all night... well, I'm depressed enough now and it's only 8:35 in the morning in Alaska but since it's Saturday I guess I can put some Carolans in my coffee... Goint to try a Turbo K after seeing two great reviews - differing dB numbers from identical machines though... Anyone else noticed that Silencer Shops numbers are running higher lately? That might explain the ringing in my ears from going with old numbers...?
George from Alaska