STW, AWC?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bearchills

STW, AWC?

Post by bearchills »

Why can't I find Any information, that isn't many years old, about these manufacturers or their silencers?
I remember the AWC can was called an Abraxas. I'm not sure what the STW Systems can was called, maybe just M9.
Both of these cans are wet, and very small. I came across them randomly just looking up smallest options for 9mm silencers.
I'm not really interested in hearing about how small silencers = less db reduction, or how wet ones get loud after so many shots. I can make those assumptions on my own. But I would very much like to know why it is so hard to find any information about these little cans.
Did these companies go out of business? Did small wet suppressors just get so unpopular that they aren't worth making anymore? Do they maybe only sell these pistol suppressors to military/Le, and not civilians anymore?
Are these cans just so expensive that nobody bothers to buy and review them?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear em.
And I would especially like to hear from anybody who has these silencers or has first person experience with them
Mike M.

Re: STW, AWC?

Post by Mike M. »

Wet cans are unfashionable at the moment. You can't do repeated mag dumps with them.

Having said that, I own several, including an AWC Abraxas. The Abraxas isn't a micro-can...it's about 1 x 6 inches. But it's reasonably compact, reasonably quiet, and doesn't need a Nielsen device...at least not on a Beretta 92. I like it. Gemtech and GSL both have wet wiped 9mm micro-cans on the market, but the use of wipes makes them incompatible with hollowpoint ammo. The Abraxas isn't wiped, so it can handle just about anything.

I've been in the suppressor game long enough to have lived through several fashion cycles. I think wet cans are about to make a comeback. It's the most efficient way to reduce sound levels...and if you get the weight low enough, you can ditch the costly and heavy Nielsen hardware, too.
bearchills

Post by bearchills »

Well I think I'd still like to get a dry can. Looking a lot at the obsidian 9. But I really like the look of these little ones. When they get loud after so many rounds, can't you just grease it up again with a syringe or something and go again?
I have a beretta 92fs, glock 19, and scorpion evo that I would like to share a can or 2.
I came across the Abraxas online years ago and always wanted one. It looks like they don't make them anymore.. or at least, I doubt see them on the website.
Do you know anything about that STW silencer?
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

I sold a friend an Abraxas and yes you can easily re-grease them up in the field and keep on shooting quietly.. I just checked the AWC user manual download site and that unit is not listed but the Warp 6 is and was pretty similar. I've got a couple of Triad Ti AWC .45 and .40 cans and they use the dame grease it up system. I built the greasing unit they show in the manual and those things are ridiculously quiet for a mag or two, then just quiet...
George from Alaska
bearchills

Post by bearchills »

Looks like that Warp 6 is also discontinued. I don't see any 9mm cans currently on the website...
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

AWC has dropped most of the line that made them what they were. Now they are part of a bigger company that includes McMillan, Armalite and a very expensive to own military weapons system. I last talked to a nice guy in the suppressor dept a year or so ago and he said they were working on some new regular customer products. Their Amphibian II is still one of the coolest integrally suppressed .22's out there and they use baffles instead of louder but easier to make monocores.
George from Alaska
bearchills

Post by bearchills »

Well, I'll tell you, that's incredibly disappointing to hear.
I guess I'm just SOL, huh? I'm waiting for an event at a local store/range where they'll be having deals on Rugged Suppressors, and I plan to buy an Obsidian 9. But that sucks that the small little ones I want aren't available anymore. The only option seems to be the dead air Odessa, and it's interesting but not exactly what I'm looking for..
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Thompson Machine still makes the Poseidon, second one down on their centerfire pistol page:
http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=99
Seems they ditched the 2009 version which had round ends, in favour of a more mainstream flat endcaps design. 4.25" long and 1.25" diameter makes it among the smallest 9mm (actually sold as multi-calibre) cans on the market. Thompson has a decent reputation too.
https://youtu.be/CQDxl2-6RDo
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

And Gemtech still makes the Aurora, a tiny wiped suppressor that was originally designed for a downed pilots survival pack. The wipe thing has turned a lot of people off because of bad information about wipes. It's really not a problem, just can't have extras...
George from Alaska
bearchills

Post by bearchills »

Yes, I've looked at the Poseidon and Aurora. Neither of them really come close to what I was looking for with the Abraxas. I would sooner get the Odessa than either of those. It's skinnier and doesn't require wipes.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Were I starting from scratch, I'd go Odessa. Remember that you can always put coolant into a "dry" can to improve performance. Spritz in some Ballistol and enjoy.

I own an Aurora II, which is a tiny can. But if I were going in that direction again, I'd go with a GSL Boss. Same design, but they used the modular suppressor approach to give you a reserve supply of wipes.