3 lug noisier than direct thread?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

sigstroker

3 lug noisier than direct thread?

Post by sigstroker »

I know, not supposed to 3 lug a 300 Blackout, but I figured subsonic only, just a few rounds, it would be okay.

Octane 45 on a 9 inch barrel 300 Blackout AR pistol using a 3 lug mount - it was loud as hell. A friend of mine standing 20 feet away said it wasn't hearing safe. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said his Octane 45 does a good job on his Blackout. Is it possible I was getting a lot of leakage through the 3 lug? I'm hesitant to order a direct thread mount because this can will be used mostly on 9mm's with 3 lugs.
DrDremel
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 3 lug noisier than direct thread?

Post by DrDremel »

1st, is it the older 3 lug or the newer one? The older model added length to the can. It did not take up any volume. The newer design takes up volume as it is internal. So the blast baffle will be reduced. Also there is a lot of room for blow by with a.30 cal projectile and a .45 cal.
sigstroker

Re: 3 lug noisier than direct thread?

Post by sigstroker »

Coupler is the newer one.

As for .30 bullets in a .45 can, like I said, a guy I know that also has an Octane 45 says his is fairly quiet.