Drop tests

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

VX666

Drop tests

Post by VX666 »

Does anyone know if suppressors ever went drop tests?

Like how the Russians did drop tests of thier rifles from 2m ladders to see if they survive the fall and work afterwards?

Do steel, aluminum, titanium suppressor s fair better than others in drop tests and heavy recoil ? Eg 308?
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Drop tests

Post by poikilotrm »

Why?
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
VX666

Post by VX666 »

Why not test them?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Seems likely that in most cases a suppressor will survive a direct angular impact while the muzzle might snap off at the base of the threading, depending on how the end of the threads and transition to shoulder has been cut. It seems fairly common to have a significant stress riser carved into the thread base, in aid of clearing suppressor threads. Especially with some 9mm barrels using 1/2"-28tpi threading, there's not a lot of steel left back there. The leverage of a fairly long suppressor wouldn't need a lot of force applied to snap that off, at least in some steels.

But generally a suppressor is lightweight enough compared to its inherently strong tube and internals (made to withstand rather enormous and sudden gas pressures, after all) as not to be a source of worry. Scopes are more worrisome. And scope mounts.