So.....just used the dip and results not as spectacular as I expected?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

So.....just used the dip and results not as spectacular as I expected?

Post by theTastyCat »

Hey all - just left my SWR Spectre (I) in The Dip for three days. Was expecting squeaky-clean, but that's not really what I got. I primarily care about getting enough lead out of the way that I won't have a baffle strike.

Here's before:

And here's after:

Surely even I'm not dumb enough to screw this up - maybe something like a hot water rinse???

Thanks for the advice!
LoboLoco

Re: So.....just used the dip and results not as spectacular as I expected?

Post by LoboLoco »

Brush, soak, brush, soak ...

Also, a silencer has always been shot more than you remember, since the last cleaning. Clean often for easy cleaning.
Be wary of those who seek to govern others. For while they proclaim their moral foundation, and noble intentions, make no mistake - they intend to govern others.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

The solvent can only do so much. You have to scrape and brush every so often. And three days? No. I do about 30 minutes.

Wear gloves when doing this. I recommend Thicksters. Also, afterwards, wash your hands and face with vinegar, then use soap and water. The vinegar will make lead acetate, which is easily dissolved in water.

1. Scrape and brush as much gross lead off as possible.
2. Soak for 30 minutes.
3. Scrape and brush again.
4. Soak for 30 minutes.
5. Final scrape and brush, then dry, lube, and re-assemble.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat »

Thanks a lot for all the helpful replies! I gave it another go last night and did manage to brush more off, but I also really don't enjoy the feeling of droplets of lead acetate hitting my skin.........so after getting it clean enough that I'm not risking a baffle strike, I ordered some Simple Green HD and I'm going to give the baffles a 15-minute spa experience in the ultrasonic. Hopefully that will get us to a good place without having to do The Dip anymore - I'm not scared of it but it's just so hard to keep it as contained as I'd like, and I'm stupid enough as it is.

Side question - I bought a bunch of cans ten years ago and haven't been paying much attention since then. I feel like this site was WAY more active when I was doing all my research and purchasing - did I miss something that went down?? I always thought this site was the best resource for good info and experiences...