assembling a suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Jabrone

assembling a suppressor

Post by Jabrone »

ok, I screwed up.
I took my suppressor apart and dumped the internals into a bowl to clean. I cleaned them and realized I didnt look to see how the internals were assembled.
There is one part that is longer than the others.....does that go to the entrance or exit
And each part has a flat side and a tapered side.....which is the entrance/exit?

Its a Huntertown Arms Guardian .22

thank you !!
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: assembling a suppressor

Post by a_canadian »

First of all, if you don't have the know-how and manual skills to turn those into finished K baffles, find someone who does and pay them to do it. Your suppressor will significantly improve in performance. I see waist ports, but no face scoop opposite those vents to push pressure across the bore and out into the coaxial volume. Basically half your suppressor is wasted space. Further, dang those are serious thick!

As for assembly order, I have no way of knowing for certain but it seems likely the long one was intended as a blast spacer and baffle. So that one's closest to your muzzle.
Jabrone

Post by Jabrone »

turn those into finished K baffles

thanks for your reply!!

What do you mean by " turn those into finished K baffles"?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Here's a cross section of a short aluminum K baffle showing the relationship between face port and waist port. And this is a commercial K baffle showing much the same thing, this one from AAC:
The big idea with a K baffle is that it acts both as a washers-and-spacers sort of baffle stack, plus a redirection of flow apparatus where each baffle face has a cut which directs a significant portion of the expanding blast gases almost perpendicularly across the bore, into an air volume outside the cones where it can swirl around and cool, essentially trapped there for long enough to quiet it down. Search the completed builds thread links and you'll see a lot of makers doing variations on the same thing:
viewtopic.php?t=79895
And most commercial variants are pretty similar in this regard as well. Even the phenomenally successful Dead Air Mask22 takes advantage of the same principle, though using a slight cone for a face on each 'K' instead of a flat with a hollow carved around it.

I'm frankly amazed at the primitive traits of the baffles you're showing. Is this a very old suppressor? Perhaps 1990's? Most Form 1 hobby builders have been using at least slightly better baffles than that for quite a few years. And there's enough metal (stainless?) there to allow for significant beneficial modification, something perfectly legal. Material removal is allowed, just not adding material to a suppressor.
Jabrone

Post by Jabrone »

Its not that old, about 5 years old. I jut rarely use it
Jabrone

Post by Jabrone »

I wouldnt know how to do this modification you are talking about....actually I dont have a clue as to what your really trying to explain.
Who would do this kind of work?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

ECCO Machine on Facebook is one, but that's getting a bit serious, more of a recore type of guy as his baffles are state of the art.
https://www.facebook.com/ECCOmachine/
I mean, your baffles no doubt quiet things somewhat. It's just a bit obvious that they could use improvement. Looking more closely at the face of the baffle (flat part, not the cone) it seems there isn't really very much room there for a clip. But you'd see significant performance improvement from just a Dremel and a few minutes of grinding in the right spot on each of those entry points. Up to you. Spend some time on the board looking at completed builds and form your own opinion. Or just assemble and shoot the thing.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Canadian is right. Huntertown silencers are notoriously loud. Multiple companies offer services fixing or completely replacing the baffles. Curtis Tactical might.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Jabrone wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm I wouldnt know how to do this modification you are talking about....actually I dont have a clue as to what your really trying to explain.
Who would do this kind of work?
Having the scoop cut (called the plate port in this pic) into the face of the cone helps direct gas across the bullet's flight path, into and behind the coned area. Without the scoop, that area is not being utilized.

I bet you could use a round file to achieve what you would need to do to make the scoop. Just try and keep it in line with the hole in the coned section.