Cleaning a sealed rim fire suppressor?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Mvicksd

Cleaning a sealed rim fire suppressor?

Post by Mvicksd »

Greetings to the forum!
I have 90’s vintage integrally suppressed Ruger 22/45.
The unit is a Gemtech Quantum.
I called Gemtech today, and basically was told to consider it disposable. Sealed unit, no recommended cleaning procedure other than a bore snake!
It’s still quiet, but after a few thousand rounds it would seem desirable to get some of the build up of carbon that must be in there!
It has aluminum baffles, so ultrasonic is out. The unit is old enough that S&W didn’t get schematics when they bought the company, so Gemtech can’t even tell me if there are any seals or parts that might be damaged by solvents.
That pistol is my go-to plinker. “Disposable firearm” does not compute for me. Any suggestions?
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cleaning a sealed rim fire suppressor?

Post by dj_fatstyles »

Why not send it to an SOT and get it re-cored and serviceable? Kinda solve two problems at once. Contact Ecco machine on Facebook. Guy does outstanding work.
https://m.facebook.com/notes/ecco-machi ... 980119419/
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID
Ridge Runner

Re: Cleaning a sealed rim fire suppressor?

Post by Ridge Runner »

How about an ultrasonic cleaner in a 2.5 Liter or 3 Liter tub size. Making certain the tub's long dimension is longer than the part you plan to soak. Around $70 to $120.

I see you think Ultrasonic is a nono for Aluminum... Why? I could see it being a tough call if not removable from the receiver.

Dawn dish soap and water might work at 40kHz. For a .22 suppressor probably a good idea to clean it every few hundred rounds.