Cutting Up My Cans... Or selling them

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

QB_45

Cutting Up My Cans... Or selling them

Post by QB_45 »

Hello everyone! I work as the manager of a Class III gun store in Indiana. I have acquired a box of old suppressors from a now-out-of-business FFL (the owner sadly passed away). Among the load of other NFA items we received from his estate manager were six rifle-caliber suppressors. I have sold off a number of other items, but these cans are just low value, and I can't seem to find a buyer for them.

So, I have two options:
A - Cut them up and notify the ATF that they have been destroyed. I wanted to ask the people here what the proper way to destroy a suppressor is. I *really* don't want to destroy them, but if I can't sell them, I don't think I have any other choice; however it needs to be done properly. Besides smashing them somehow, I haven't found a clear explanation online yet for how to do it.

B - Sell them to someone here. I don't need to make a buck, so If you are willing to cover the transfer fee, I might ask $10 each just to cover my time. I'll fill out the Form 4 for you if you want (I do that all the time). I'll ship them to another FFL outside of Indiana if required.

PM me if anyone is interested, I'll answer any questions. Otherwise...... they're going to the bandsaw :(
<insert clever signature here>
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cutting Up My Cans... Or selling them

Post by Capt. Link. »

I believe the standard is three pieces across the bore line for baffles and the tube with SN# cut across.You should contact your local BATFE for what they may require as I have heard various ways of doing it.
I would hate to see you cut them unless they are damaged beyond repair or low quality.Would you post what you have with pictures and information.A few bucks is cheaper than the labor to trash them?
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Ridge Runner

Post by Ridge Runner »

Take them to nearby FFLs that sell cans and offer them on completion of the transfer paperwork. Any such FFL should be happy to receive them unless they truly are low value. If they are low value they can be surrendered to BATFE with an appointment.

If you sell them on form 4 paperwork it may take over a year to divest yourself of them.
QB_45

Post by QB_45 »

There are six of them; four are Stroessner & Hunting Firearms brand in .223 caliber. They are the big ones at about 1.5" in diameter, and generally about 12" long. Two are 1/2"x28mm direct thread mount, two others have an external thread mount (covered by thread protectors in the photos), one QD and one with threads like the ones that fit onto MACs or something.

I don't have the images hosted online yet, but I did take some informative photos a few days ago.
Azendel

Post by Azendel »

I am brand new to the whole silencer thing, but I would definitely be interested in at least one of those. Maybe two even. I would love to ask a few questions, if you have the availability?
Sparrow_27

Post by Sparrow_27 »

If you could, I would like to see pics of them if you have the time. Thanks!
Silencerco SS Sparrow
highspeedsteel

Post by highspeedsteel »

I am an 07/02 SOT manufacture located in Florida and might be interested in taking them off your hands. Could you email me some photos at [email protected]
www.victorypointarmaments.com
QB_45

Post by QB_45 »

Absolutely! I am willing to answer any questions anyone might have. I'm working on reviving my old Photobucket account so I can post some photos of them.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Sounds like a promotional opportunity.

Buy a gun, get a free used silencer.

or, $1 raffle tickets. Even if you dont make money, it makes for happy customers, and good PR.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
mbogo300

Post by mbogo300 »

QB_45 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:38 am I'm working on reviving my old Photobucket account so I can post some photos of them.
Get an account on imgur.com

It's free, and it's easy to use.
12 stamps and looking for one to put in jail. . :mrgreen:
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

imgbb.com is free and doesn't require an account. Once you upload the pic, use the pull down menu and select BBCode Full Linked. C&P that address in your reply and the pic will show up.
QB_45

Post by QB_45 »

#40Fan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:24 am imgbb.com is free and doesn't require an account. Once you upload the pic, use the pull down menu and select BBCode Full Linked. C&P that address in your reply and the pic will show up.
Awesome!! I'll give that a try!
QB_45

Post by QB_45 »

#40Fan, you're the man. I've saved imgBB to my favorites.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Glad to help.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Is the one on the left threaded for a mac10 by chance?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
QB_45

Post by QB_45 »

fishman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm Is the one on the left threaded for a mac10 by chance?
I believe it is, yes - I'll be returning our two MACs to the store tomorrow, and I'll test it to make sure.
QB_45

Post by QB_45 »

fishman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm Is the one on the left threaded for a mac10 by chance?

Here we are - it's a perfect fit, and the correct caliber.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Dang, its for a mac11, not a mac10. Id have gladly taken it off your hands.

5.56 form 1:
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Seeing what they are, I can understand why you want them gone. I wouldn't even want those boat anchors for free on a F3.

Why don't you auction them off and donate the proceeds to small businesses in need, those suffering from the COVID-19 situation?
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
QB_45

Post by QB_45 »

Yeah.... I think the 1/2"x28 threaded .223 cans would have some value; I think I'm actually going to keep one of those for myself. The low price offsets the large size, in my opinion. If I can figure out the mount on the other two .223 cans, they would be worthwhile too. I just bolted together a 5.7x28 AR pistol, and one of these would give it a nice, rifle-like appearance.

I would love to have a COVID-19 charitable auction, but it's hard to get around the cost of the $200 tax stamp. I've mentioned it to a few people, and we're trying to come up with some ideas.
angelbeast6
Silent But Deadly

Post by angelbeast6 »

Message sent
I keep forgetting it so I'll leave it here for others as well: NFA 304-616-4500
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

Put them on gun broker. They'll buy anything if it's cheap enough.
So much has changed since my last form 1