Brand new to silencers, some intro questions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Azendel

Brand new to silencers, some intro questions

Post by Azendel »

Good evening folks. I have finally decided to suppress my "bedside" gun and have some questions. I have a CMMG Banshee 45 ACP. I am leaning towards the SilencerCo Octane 45 2.0 or the SilencerCo Osprey 45. Reviews that I have seen seem pleased with them. The Octane can be cleaned without shipping the thing off, so thats the one im leaning towards. The question is, what else do I need to purchase to make it work on my Banshee? SilencerShop has an option to add a "piston" and ill be brutally honest, I have no idea what that means. I have only shot a silenced weapon once, and that was only a few rounds. This is all new. Thanks for any help you can give. I just dont want to buy something incomplete.

(Taking any and all suggestions for a 45 ACP silencer as well)

Jacob
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Brand new to silencers, some intro questions

Post by a_canadian »

A 'piston' also known as a 'Neilson device' is one of several designs comprised of several metal parts with a spring inside, mounted between the barrel and the silencer. Also known as a 'booster.' With Browning type pistol actions this is essential, with rare exceptions being ultra-lightweight compact suppressors according to some. Something under 3oz may not need a piston, but would also not likely offer as much in the way of noise suppression. Because the barrel tilts upwards, and the mass of the silencer is all attached to the front threads on that barrel, it effectively greatly elongates the barrel and puts an enormous load on the threaded portion of the barrel. That is the likely point of failure - the muzzle breaking off or bending, or perhaps tearing out the threads in the silencer if made of aluminum. The piston allows the barrel to at least get started in its motion before the silencer starts moving with a short delay, such that the stress of cycling is spread out over a longer interval. I'm not an owner of any tilting-barrel action type pistols so have no first hand experience with this, but that's what I've seen posted and demonstrated in videos. Like this one:

https://youtu.be/gVXJcf3xL_c

Or this one from Liberty:

https://youtu.be/wl4Gfbx-xwU
Azendel

Post by Azendel »

So, since the cmmg banshee does not have that, I wouldn't need a piston correct? And threading it directly to the barrel poses no issues?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

That's right. A decoupling device is only for use on reciprocating barrels. The Banshee appears to have a fixed barrel (can't see why it would need to move) so a piston is not necessary, and may even cause problems.
Azendel

Post by Azendel »

Thanks! As for the two im debating....any advice?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

No advice based on experience, no. But if it were me wanting a can for a CMMG Banshee, I'd go with the round can, as the offset-axis rectangular can would look odd. I can see the Osprey looking appropriate on a short barrelled Kriss Vector but otherwise it seems most appropriate as a semi-auto pistol can, matching the shape better there.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Curtis tactical made me a custom integral silencer for my 45 CMMG. I love it.

BUY THE CMMG ACTION TUNING KIT.
It makes supressed shots quieter by reducing port noise.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
justsomedude

Post by justsomedude »

Hi all! A fellow new user - and brand new to silencers guy - here with some questions to add on to the OP...

I just purchased the 10mm CMMG MK10 Banshee and am also looking to run it suppressed. It seems that there aren’t a lot of 10mm specific cans. Will .40SW and .45 cans work just as good?

I think for the 10mm Banshee suppressed I also need to order the heavier buffer.

Any other tips/advice?
Fathermaxie

Post by Fathermaxie »

I've seen 22s shot through 9mm and 45 cans that sounded as quiet as coming out of a 22 can. I'd bet my money that the 45 cans would work great on the 10mm. The only thing I would consider is the pressure at the muzzle of a 10 vs a 45. I bet the 10mm is higher so if it is not listed on the approved cartridges for the can you are looking at, call the company that makes the can and ask them.
dmk

Post by dmk »

Do either of these suppressors support a 3-lug? Well actually, is 45ACP 3-lug a thing?

I use a 3 lug with my CGS Kraken on mine (9mm). I didn't like the idea of direct thread unthreading on my carbine, especially since I put on a longer handguard that covers most of the suppressor.