Effectiveness over multiple calibers? Supersonic?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Pnw_steve

Effectiveness over multiple calibers? Supersonic?

Post by Pnw_steve »

Hello Everyone,

Like a lot of people, I had a lot of misinformation about suppressors. You all have been giving me an education :D

A couple of questions :

I started out looking at a suppressing one gun. I wrongly assumed that I could only shoot subsonic and it would kill accuracy. Then I saw a gent shoot sub moa groups @ 100 & 200 yards with s surpressed AR. It certainly wasn't "Hollywood quiet" but it was much more quiet than I had expected.

Now I want to surpress multiple guns. :D

.22 LR

Can I use a suppressor intended for. 223/.224 center fire be used effectively on .22LR?

Will a suppressor sized for .243 work effectively for .224?

How about a. 356 suppressor on the smaller calibers?

Any tips or links to info regarding suppressing center fire rifles?

Thanks.

S.
Pnw_steve

Re: Effectiveness over multiple calibers? Supersonic?

Post by Pnw_steve »

Anyone?

:D
Pnw_steve

Post by Pnw_steve »

bwp777 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 am you can get a "one sized, fits all" can but I have found that by using a .22lr can for small calibers is best. then taking a .30 cal can and using it for .223
most suppressor companies that you buy a .30 cal can will also provide a smaller end cap but not always. when it comes to using a can on bigger centerfire guns such as .223 and up, you will get the "crack" of the supersonic no matter what. When using 9mm, 45acp, 22lr etc., buy those cans for those weapons. so here is what I did

2) dedicated 22lr cans. I can shoot 22 mag and other smaller calibers through them
1) 9mm can
2) .30 cal cans, one for the AR (.223) and one for the 300 blk out

I should have bought a 45 can and used it on the 9mm but hindsight is 20/20

reach out to Joe @ Curtis Tactical 937-336-9514. he has done a bunch of work for me and it is fantastic. he also has a facebook page. he will take great care of you and lead you in the right direction.

All the best on your journey
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I am just getting started and don't want to get too ambitious out of the gate. Perhaps one built for the. 243 and used for 22LR and 223 as well. Then, if I am still excited then a .45 suppressor for .45 and 9mm.
Pnw_steve

Post by Pnw_steve »

I have learned a fair bit from reading the forum here. I appreciate that. It appears that I have exhausted the resource.

Can you please recommend any forums where I may find answers to my questions?

Thank you.

S.
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

You're better off just buying a rimfire dedicated can there are a bunch of good ones and they are fairly inexpensive and you can clean them deadair mask, Sico switchback etc. Based on the questions you asked you are probably best off buying a 30cal can like a deadair sandman or nomad or something along those lines again there are alot of good choices. Since you'd just be starting out and aren't married to a qd system yet look at the Rugged Radiant 7.62 seems like a good choice. As far as the 356 can the only one that jumps out at me is the Sico Omega 36 and you'll find that it would work but won't be quite as quiet as a can that matches the diameter of the caliber you are shooting. Definitely look at what mounting systems are available for whatever cans you see and let that help you decide.