Surefire suppressor rebuild issue...need advice

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

omega26

Surefire suppressor rebuild issue...need advice

Post by omega26 »

Greetings everyone, I will try to keep this short:

Had my Surefire 300 SPS rebuilt by Surefire in NOV 2019 after an end cap strike from a destabilized round. After getting it back , and a couple range sessions, a couple baffles broke loose (no baffle strikes though, Surefire admitted fault for this).

I sent it in for another rebuild, this time at Surefires cost, and just got it back.

This time, however, there is a weld line literally run from top to bottom longitudinally along the can. This was not there when I bought it nor when I got it back after its first rebuild. Also, the can is weighing in at 510 grams, when it's listed weight is 566 grams (I didn't weigh it before sending it in).

Is it missing an inner tube and they cracked open the housing to rebuild this time or what?? I'm utterly perplexed.

After emailing surefire tech support 5 days ago with pictures, and following up with phone calls, I was told the suppressor division spends alot of time at the range so that's why they haven't responded. I've got more stories about their poor customer service, but that's for another day.

Any input would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Finally got through to someone, turns out some batches of SF SOCOM Suppressors have housings welded lengthways, rather than using seamless tubes for housings. Was told not to story about It, it's just as strong. Nonetheless, I would be curious if other manufacturers use welded, HREW housings for suppressors as this seems like a manufacturing shortcut to reduce cost that I wouldn't expect from Surefire.