Teflon tape

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Teflon tape

Post by Prince Yamato »

One of my pistol silencers started coming loose after some shooting the other day. Usually, I’ve blue-loctite-ed the can down. I always thought plumbers tape/Teflon tape would melt. Can I use it on the barrel threads without issue?

Can it be used on end caps that come loose as well?

I’m assuming one or two quick wraps, not “let me install this shower head permanently,” style wrapping.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Re: Teflon tape

Post by CMV »

Never tried but remember reading in the past it made a mess.

Have you tried anti-seize on the barrel threads? I end up with issue that tightening down a direct thread suppressor, the encap wants to stick to the barrel threads more than the tube & instead of removing suppressor, it wants to disassemble leaving the endcap on the barrel. Applying a little anti-seize to the barrel threads first, I can tighten down the suppressor pretty good, re-tighten with it good & hot if needed, yet when time to remove, the suppressor doesn't want to unscrew itself.... Little goes a long way and the stuff is messy...but might be worth trying before thread tape.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

To be honest, I usually use blue loctite for everything. I was just wondering if I could use the tape instead of the dried blue snot.
noname

Post by noname »

I have used plumber's teflon tape before and worked well. Problems come from putting to much and really tight and getting it where the can meets the barrel building up causing an alignment problem. You still need to check to make sure you have not shot the can loose after 4-5 shots. Never had any melt but I suppose if you made a 3-4 mag dumps with an AR it would be possible. That much shooting at one time causing melted teflon tape would be the least of your problems. You do need some type of wire brush to make sure the threads on the barrel are cleaned when you remove the can. Check the threads on the can too.
Ridge Runner

Post by Ridge Runner »

Just thinking out loud...
Blue Loctite is designed to loosen when heated.
Teflon tape is designed to lubricate and fill gaps sealing leaks. Definitely not a thread locker.
Teflon tape being something of a gap filler will want to fill the space between barrel shoulder and endcap face. Might not be uniform.
Did anyone try closer fitting threads or a crush washer?
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

I tried the teflon tape and it was useless. Just check the can every now and again.
Stook1

Post by Stook1 »

jimbo45 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:55 pm I tried the teflon tape and it was useless. Just check the can every now and again.https://napsgear.to/anavar-for-men/
thanks for recommending. i was just about to buy it... i thought it would be somehow useful
Last edited by Stook1 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

Stook1 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:55 am
jimbo45 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:55 pm I tried the teflon tape and it was useless. Just check the can every now and again.
thanks for recommending. i was just about to buy it... i thought it would be somehow useful
Its cheap get a roll and try it you might find it works for you.