9mm host pistol recommendations

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bearchills

9mm host pistol recommendations

Post by bearchills »

As the title says, I'd like to here some suggestions for a host pistol for my silencer.
I have an Obsidian 9 and it sounds great on my Beretta 92fs. Of course, that gun has a fixed front sight and no light rail. I also have a G23 with a 9mm conversion barrel, but it has issues when I put the can on it.
So I've decided that I want to just buy a new gun that will be the dedicated host pistol for this suppressor.
I would prefer to buy a gun that comes suppressor ready in the box.

Some people says certain guns can be quieter than others suppressed. I've heard that a few times about sigs. But idk if it's really something to be concerned about, because my guess would be that the difference would be negligible. But I haven't shot everything suppressed, so maybe there are ones noticeably quieter than others.
I have considered an XDM, being as they are sold suppressor ready, and they have a rather impressive round count at 22+1.

I'd like to hear your opinions, especially ones from a place of experience with multiple setups.
bearchills

Re: 9mm host pistol recommendations

Post by bearchills »

bwp777 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:44 pm have you thought of a 9mm AR "pistol"
No. I'm not really big on PCCs. But I have a scorpion fit that role, and it suits me just fine.
I want a handgun.
noname

Post by noname »

My issues with anything other than a single shot is ancillary noise is going to be a factor if you want the quietest possible. It needs to be sub-sonic, and not have a lot of cycling noise, and not be a wheel gun with gases escaping at the cylinder gap with the barrel. I have seen bolt action pistols but cannot remember the name.
bearchills

Post by bearchills »

Okay, hold on. Let me clarify something before this goes further in a strange direction.
Obviously a single shot gun would be the quietest, having eliminated the noise of the action. And obviously subsonic ammo is quieter than supersonic.
When I say I'm looking for a new host pistol for this can, what I'm talking about is a normal, duty size, semi-auto handgun.
When I talked about some guns possibly being quieter than others, and then I mentioned a full size semi-auto handgun, I thought it was understood that this was the type of gun for consideration in this thread.
Not PCCs or single shot guns.

Quiet is a relative term. In this context, I was hoping to hear from people who might have experience shooting a variety of different semi-auto handguns suppressed. And if any of them had the opinion that certain pistols were significantly quieter, or otherwise a better host for a silencer.
And the reason I mentioned the sig, is because I've heard it suggested that there is very slightly more time between firing and the action opening, thus diminishing noise coming out of the chamber when the shell is extracted.
I have no idea if that's true or not, or if it would make a noticeable difference in sound.
But that was the basic premise of the conversation I wished to have. I'm not interested in the quietest possible gun of any category, that is a different topic.
I'm interested in opinions concerning semi-automatic handguns
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

I've shot with glocks, sig 229's and hk 45 host pistols and didn't notice that one was quieter than another. I do keep hearing that the sig is a good suppressor host though I'm not sure why.
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

Since the Beretta 92FS works well and you like the gun except for no rail and fixed sights, what about a Beretta M9A3? Basically an FS with threaded barrel, rail, and removeable sights among some other upgrades. I would think it would be exactly what you seek :)
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
bearchills

Post by bearchills »

roodyrocker wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 am Since the Beretta 92FS works well and you like the gun except for no rail and fixed sights, what about a Beretta M9A3? Basically an FS with threaded barrel, rail, and removeable sights among some other upgrades. I would think it would be exactly what you seek :)
A M9A3 is indeed on the list for consideration. I just have trouble getting past the price. Same with Sigs.
Other than cost, however, I find myself thinking a little bit more about the idea of a striker fired gun.
Of course, just as I've read people claiming that Sigs are quieter suppressed, I've also read claims that guns like Glocks and XDs are louder.
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

You should be able to pick up a used Sig for the same or less than a striker fired gun. Also have to get a threaded barrel most likely so add another $100 to $300 depending on what you go for.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Effective 9mm subsonic ammo is a high pressure adventure, +P+ pressures can be seen. All steel pistols with strong lockups are recommend. I like the CZ-75 for its strength accuracy and reliability.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
bearchills

Post by bearchills »

jimbo45 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:08 pm You should be able to pick up a used Sig for the same or less than a striker fired gun. Also have to get a threaded barrel most likely so add another $100 to $300 depending on what you go for.
I don't usually buy used guns unless they are something old and out of production, or from a trusted personal acquaintance. Regardless, I'm not sure where you've been seeing Sigs, even used, that come anywhere near most striker fired pistol prices. Lowest I can usually find a p226 is still around $900+
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

bearchills wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:15 am
jimbo45 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:08 pm You should be able to pick up a used Sig for the same or less than a striker fired gun. Also have to get a threaded barrel most likely so add another $100 to $300 depending on what you go for.
I don't usually buy used guns unless they are something old and out of production, or from a trusted personal acquaintance. Regardless, I'm not sure where you've been seeing Sigs, even used, that come anywhere near most striker fired pistol prices. Lowest I can usually find a p226 is still around $900+
Well I get emails all the time from Aim Surplus and they have Surplus Sigs from time to time. I just looked at 229 with a rail for 499 it's out of stock right now obviously with all the buying craze but there you go they also have 226's and 239's for anywhere from $330 to $380 I know there in 40 though so not what you're looking and they arent in stock right now like a lot of stuff. I dont think I've bought a used gun in more than 10 years either but yhey are out there if you look and dont want to spend a grand or more for a pistol. I dont mind doing that personally but my finances allow it. Either way just trying to help so maybe get on the aim surplus newsletter.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I just bought the XDm Elite on sale at PSA. Let me tell you I'm IMPRESSED with this pistol. I like polymer guns but they are what they are. The Elite takes poly to another level. The trigger is FANTASTIC, really ergonomic grip, quality feeling mags, the bore looks better than my M&P after more than a thousand rounds. The inside of the pistol looks as good as the outside. Well worth the money

So far ZERO malfunctions with my Obsidian .45 or with the Mod9 I picked up this weekend and the thing is quiet. O highly recommend
Rontalvos

Post by Rontalvos »

I had this conundrum about a year ago and bought a S&W M&P 2.0 with suppressor height sights and a threaded barrel from the factory. This model: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/m ... ded-barrel

It's been reliable with my Ghost M and I actually ended up liking the pistol a lot more than I thought I would. It's a lot of gun for the internet price of $450~ which pops up often on deal sites, and I think I may even like it more than my G19. I only bought it because I've read Glocks don't make great suppressor hosts, and I was a little curious about the model, but I'm very glad I did. Suppressor height night sites don't exist yet, they've been announced but not released if that matters at all to you.