Accuracy of integral suppressors

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Giffin

Accuracy of integral suppressors

Post by Giffin »

Would an integral suppressor provide the same (or similar) accuracy to a regular barrel of equal length? I’m new to a lot of these concepts so sorry if it’s not a straightforward question.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Re: Accuracy of integral suppressors

Post by TOOL1075 »

It can; it depends on the design of the integral silencer. The baffle geometry can influence projectile flight within the silencer due to turbulence and other gas flow phenomena.

I am not aware of any standardized accuracy testing for suppressed small arms that has been performed that has specifically examined that accuracy of integrally suppressed systems. However, there may be some testing out there.
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

I have one, a 10/22 gemtech mist. don't care for it. It's really quiet but accuracy sucks.
The good thing about screwing a silencer on to the end of a gun is you know how accurate it is with out spending all the money on a silencer and tax stamp.
So much has changed since my last form 1
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

748 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:10 pm I have one, a 10/22 gemtech mist. don't care for it. It's really quiet but accuracy sucks.
The good thing about screwing a silencer on to the end of a gun is you know how accurate it is with out spending all the money on a silencer and tax stamp.
99% of all accuracy issues dealing with the 10-22 is trigger related. How many pounds is the trigger/normal factory ones are 8-18lbs. If you have had a trigger job done and the accuracy is still bad, send the mist back as accuracy should be the same as factory barrel if not better.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

8 to 18lb? Oh hell no.
It is between 4 and 5lb.
I could get one that you could breath on and would fire, I don't think it would help.
I could be doing something wrong. It's a take down.
I might try another scope, different way to set up the take down rig, different ammo, ect.
I'm used to a 10/22 shooting any ammo pretty well.
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

I have a few integrals and would say they shoot just as good as a normal barrel. Also the my brothers mist is just is as accurate as the standard barrel that it replaced.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

748 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:06 pm 8 to 18lb? Oh hell no.
It is between 4 and 5lb.
I could get one that you could breath on and would fire, I don't think it would help.
I could be doing something wrong. It's a take down.
I might try another scope, different way to set up the take down rig, different ammo, ect.
I'm used to a 10/22 shooting any ammo pretty well.
You are very lucky to have a trigger that light, some you have to step on to go off.The junction of the barrel and receiver has always been a weak point and the take down feature probably dose not help accuracy. Barrel mounting of optics will help if the junction wiggles.Most non-take down 10-22s will shoot silver dollar groups or better at 50yds.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

Yeah the worst 10/22 I ever saw shot a little worse than 5 or 6 moa.
This one is probably like 10.
What's a good way to barrel mount optics on an mist?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

748 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:29 pm Yeah the worst 10/22 I ever saw shot a little worse than 5 or 6 moa.
This one is probably like 10.
What's a good way to barrel mount optics on an mist?
You need to drill & tap the barrel for a cantilever scope mount ,blocks or a 1913 rail. Depending on what you choose will alter the optic choice based upon eye relief.
Drop me a line,I might be able to help you find a solution to the inaccuracy.
-CL
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

You could also get a magpul backpacker stock and the forward pic rail band that will let you mount a red dot to the barrel but wont require drilling holes in your suppressor that would likely void the warranty.