HTA Kestrel 308 - Horror story in the making

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

The3percent

HTA Kestrel 308 - Horror story in the making

Post by The3percent »

Hello ST Folks!

This is my first post on ST ever so please bare with me and my noob antics...

As the title says, it’s a “Horror story in the making”, and from the old threads I’ve nervously been reading through, I get the feeling that many of the tenure members already know where this is going, but please bare with me..

So, as an ex-California resident, after 6 years living in Missouri, I decided I want to pull the trigger on a .300BLK pistol build, complete with my first suppressor. Although I’m fairly well versed into the AR platform and have a few builds under my belt, and a past (short lived) 80% lower business, I’ve never owned, heard in person or shot any suppressors other than an acquaintance’s 22 can about a year ago.

Late February, with a basic build plan and (limited) budget in mind I started shopping around and pricing things out. And I decided to stop in to a local (SOT) gun shop down the road from me. I had only been in this shop once or twice before to check it out, and had noticed that they had a few suppressors on hand. It was a veteran owned, small local business, and the guys behind the counter were patient with my rambling. So I decided to give them the first shot over the larger, more expensive, hipster shops around. I went in with the intent of info gathering and to have them price out ordering a specific YHM .30 cal can I had in mind.

Well, it was during that visit that the manager (and part owner?) informed me that the banner flags outside were for the sale they were having in which several of their cans were 40% to 50% off normal price. He asked what I was looking for and then led me over to a gemtech can and the Huntertown Arms Kestrel 308 he had on the shelf. Both were half price. Kestrel was $250 and the GT ~$275 OTD (Plus stamp of course). He did state that he heard HTA was going out of business soon, where as Gemtech wasn’t. But He said that the HTA was user serviceable where as the Gemtech was a welded can. Typically, I would have left, done some research on both cans, and then came back to make my purchase. However, he only had two of each can in stock and for the price I didn’t want to risk them being sold to someone else. So I took a chance.

Between buying the can, running to the police station for fingerprint cards and coming back I only read two comparable prices online (both $550) and one positive review. After, my paperwork had been mailed away, I found all the bad reviews.

To make matters worse, I bought the can February 22nd. On April 29th, my gun shop closed its doors due the pandemic and them not being able to buy anything to sell.

Fortunately, I have been in contact with them since then and they still have their FFL, just transferred it to the owners home. And once my stamp arrives (NFA approval was on 9/4/2020), the owner said he would give me a call to come get the can.

So here are my questions:
1.) Is “Curtis Tactical” still around, and do they still offer the recore? I had seen some other posts and a couple YouTube videos about Curtis re-coring HTA cans a few years ago. A quick google search didn’t turn up any websites.

2.) Are there any other SOTs that have done/will do re-cores on HTA cans? Anyone a little less expensive? I think i saw that Curtis charges around $500? I’m hesitant to put another $500 into a sub par can, but at the same time, it’s worth the $500 not to wait another 7-8 months plus another $200 stamp

3.) in regards to questions 1 and 2, is Curtis still the best performing as far as HTA re-cores?

4.) Does anyone have this can? If so, is it really that loud? Will it be hearing safe at least with subs?

5,) I had seen somewhere that HTA upgraded their baffle stack at some point before closing up shop. How do you know if you have the old or new baffle stack? These were K baffles if that makes a difference. (I really hope this can wasn’t sitting on a shelf for 7 years...)

6.) would it be legal for me to add a wipe? Would that even help?

7.) Is there a particular bullet, bullet weight and or loading that sounds better with this can?

BTW, the host is an AR type pistol chambered in 300BLK, with a 10.5” barrel, pistol length gas block/tube, mil spec carbine tube / buffer.

Sorry for the rambling. If you made it this far, thanks for hanging in there, and thanks in advance for any and all responses!
The3percent

Re: HTA Kestrel 308 - Horror story in the making

Post by The3percent »

Thanks bwp777!
I just saw your reply. I’ll try to give you a call tomorrow after work.
The3percent

Post by The3percent »

So my stamp finally arrived at my FFL Monday (10/5/2020) and I was able to pick up my can on Tuesday (10/6/2020).

As I mentioned in my original post, I have zero suppressor experience with anything other than a friends suppressed 22 pistol. However, I’m relieved to say that the HTA sounds much better than I was expecting from the reviews.

There’s definitely room for improvement. Even as a novice, that much I can tell. However, the can is most definitely heading safe with subs. I haven’t tried anything supersonic through it yet, but with the 200 Winchester white box and the 220 grain Remington i was shooting, I would equate the sound level as nearly identical to my unsuppressed 22LR rifle.

If this is what a shitty can sounds like on 300 blackout I can’t wait to get a good can!
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

If you ever have second thoughts, have Curtis Tactical do a rebuild for you. This is my review of the rebuild they did for my TM THIRTY:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158649

You will basically end up with a new (good!) can within a month.