Outer Diameter Guide 9mm and others

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

davethegreat78

Outer Diameter Guide 9mm and others

Post by davethegreat78 »

Hi Guys,

I am sure this has been answered before so go easy on me. I seemed to get weird errors when I try to make searches on this site.

I have a titanium build that I am going to form 1. its 6 inches long and has an OD of 1.1 inch. If I were to bore this out to 9mm would it be a stupid decision? If anyone has a guide to effectiveness vs OD/Length I would appreciate it!

Again, sorry if I am beating a dead horse here but the search function is not working for me.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Outer Diameter Guide 9mm and others

Post by a_canadian »

Bore it out to 9mm... for what caliber of bullet? What gun is this going to be mounted on? Semi-auto or bolt? Without any information about the gun, it is impossible to even begin answering your questions. For .22lr a 6" x 1.1" tube is probably sufficient. I use a 4" x 1" tube with 6 small K baffles for a .22lr pistol set up to shoot exclusively CCI Quiet Semi-Auto at around 810fps and the noise level is very comfortable indoors, insignificant outdoors. But if you mean to mount this on a 9mm pistol you will need a very efficient baffle set, and of course the bore through those baffles and the endcap will need to be somewhat bigger than 9mm or you will destroy the suppressor with the first shot. You see the problem? Tell us about your firearm.
davethegreat78

Re: Outer Diameter Guide 9mm and others

Post by davethegreat78 »

Caliber I was considering boring it out to: 9mm, this would be my second 9mm can that I have made so I know I need to bore it out slightly bigger than 9mm.

Gun to use on: Not exclusive, I was planning on using it on multiple different firearms. If I had bored it out to accommodate 9mm I would have wanted to run it on my MP5.

What I ended up doing: Just bored it out for use on my .22LR guns. It actually came out great. With standard/Subsonic ammunition it shoots very quietly indoors. I am happy I didn't ruin a perfect candidate for .22LR trying to make it something it is not. Thank you for your advice!