Suppress Colt Mustang?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

Suppress Colt Mustang?

Post by Battlecloth »

Classic Browning design and all, I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this. AAC Evolution-380 maybe?
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Noone ever made extended barrels for these, but if you ever come across one we would be happy to try an Evolution 9 on it to see if it would cycle. :D

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
www.advanced-armament.com
Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Battlecloth »

Aesthetics, Mike, aesthetics. I was thinking about something more along the lines of your one inch tube based Spider 2 with a scaled down Nielsen device integrated into it like your Evolution series. Any idea what a normally wet 9mm can sounds like dry with a .380? I think the Keltec .380’s and .32’s are also a locked breech design, so you might have a larger market then just the discontinued Mustang. Of course, you still have the barrel issue, which I suppose would be a show stopper in any case.
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

I've never heard a locked breech .380 with a can, only straight blowback models like the PPK and Sig P-230. The only quiet .380 I've ever heard was a Makarov Mark White made. All others I've heard have exhibited excessive breech noise.

The Kel-Tecs will be a problem, as their barrels have a bulbous section at the muzzle like the third gen and current Smith and Wesson autos. From some experience we've had with the Kel-Tec .32 and an extended barrel, I think you would run into problems getting the barrel installed in the slide.

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Battlecloth »

That makes perfect sense, thanks. My only experience with the Kel-tec’s has been disappointing to say the least, so my only interest would be in the Mustang. What about the scaled down Nielsen in the Spider 2 tube, is that possible? I have no idea what’s involved in this so if it’s a really stupid question please be gentle. I know the Government barrel doesn’t fit the Mustang, but I wonder if it might be modified to fit.
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

A smaller diameter can with a booster is not a stupid idea at all. The thing is, we're currently so busy that a custom one-off suppressor would cost a lot more cheese than most folks would want to pay for one. And intuition tells me that we would need a 1.125" or even a 1.25" diameter can to appreciably quiet down a .380. If you can get a Govt' model .380 barrel to fit and function in your Mustang, we can try an uncataloged version of the Evolution 9 that is 3/4" shorter than the standard Evo9. That would put it at 6.75" oal. I don't think that would look ungainly or out of ballance, and it would be interesting to find out if it would work.

Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.