Aguila 22 ammo

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tobi
Silent But Deadly

Aguila 22 ammo

Post by Tobi »

Hi folks,
are there any problems to shoot the .22lr sss sniper subsonic with a suppressor? could it be that this ammo tend to flight unstable and strike a
baffle and damage the suppressor?
Tugnut
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tugnut »

Most .22s have a 1 in 16" twist rate. The Aguila SSS usually requires a 1 in 9" twist. Unless you have a special twist rate barrel on your .22, then shooting the SSS through it will result in poor accuracy and occasional keyholes at best, and baffle strikes and/or suppressor destruction at worst.
germansilencer
Silent Operator

Re: Aguila 22 ammo

Post by germansilencer »

Tobi wrote:Hi folks,
are there any problems to shoot the .22lr sss sniper subsonic with a suppressor? could it be that this ammo tend to flight unstable and strike a
baffle and damage the suppressor?
The fastest way to ruin a silencer is to shoot the SSS throug it - if the weapon or the silencer or both are not especailly tuned to use the SSS.

I ruined several silencers with the SSS before I decided to dropt it totally from my ammo program. If I need a powerful subsonic mit heavy penetrating bullet, I use the Lapua Scoremax.
firearm silencers are a contribute to environmental protection
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Lapua Scormax is $130 per 1000 rounds. This is what 5.45x39 ammo costs.

It also goes transonic in rifle barrels. I bet ScoreMax is the right thing for a pistol but for a dedicated 10/22 or bolt action custom rifle it might be best to simply rebarrel it.

It is too bad 1:16 twist is the standard.
PCArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by PCArms »

Tugnut wrote:....then shooting the SSS through it will result in poor accuracy and occasional keyholes at best, and baffle strikes and/or suppressor destruction at worst.
At least with .22, there is a way around baffle strikes, don't use baffles.

But seriously, there is a design I have been working on, though very TIME CONSUMING, that at least on paper, eliminates that problem.
Pat
www.ORL-LLC.com
OregonResearchLabs, LLC
mr45auto
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr45auto »

I imagine the SSS would be fine through a M261 kit in a 1:9 AR?
WiseOne
Silent Operator

Post by WiseOne »

mr45auto wrote:I imagine the SSS would be fine through a M261 kit in a 1:9 AR?
i have heard that the 1:9 works well with the sss stuff
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

But does .22 work ok in a .224 barrel? I was never willing to try it for fear it would lead up the barrel and make it hard to clean.
WiseOne
Silent Operator

Post by WiseOne »

i have put a few hundred rounds through one of my ar's with the .22 conversion, i can say the gun get's a bit dirty when shooting the bulk stuff and accuracy is not that great.

only reason i did it was to try out a kit my dad had in an old tin can, the ar was semi so i don't know how much difference it would be in FA
plooker

Post by plooker »

Try the 40 gr solid subsonic from Aguila. I've had great results from it.
crpydy

Post by crpydy »

Called the guy that made my tac 65 and he recommended the round (SSS). Told me just to make sure I didn't move the gun after the round left the barrel and might still be in the supressor. But he said go for it. And should something happen send it in because he hadn't had any problems in any of his that he had tested. How cool is that>??!!
WiseOne
Silent Operator

Post by WiseOne »

what length barrel are you shooting out of? that is the first time i heard of a company telling someone to go ahead and use the SSS, most will want to kick them in the back end for trying it :lol:
Carolina Curly
Silent Operator

Post by Carolina Curly »

I think the guy you talked to is the person who sells the suppressors! He just wants to sell you another one! "Don't move the gun after the bullet has left the barrel, it could still be in the suppressor!" I would have to tighten the pistol in a vice to stop the movement during recoil! This person has to be a salesman! If you shoot the 60 grain bullet in a 1-16 twist it will begin to yaw as soon as it leaves the barrel and will sooner or later strike a baffle! Thats just basic physics! You would need a 1-9 twist to get the bullet stable enough to shoot thru a suppressor! If I misunderstood your statement, I am very sorry!

No I am not a firearms expert! But my good friend, who works for the top state law enforcement agency is an expert! He agrees with me on this!
Last edited by Carolina Curly on Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Father of a US Marine!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Depends on the aperture size.
Carolina Curly
Silent Operator

Post by Carolina Curly »

Right! If we make the hole large enough in the suppressor, no problem! This would affect its suppresson ability! Would not suppress much if at all!
Proud Father of a US Marine!
crpydy

Post by crpydy »

Ever played paintball? Slow moving projectile at 300fps being shot out of an action at the rate of 14 per second. Fired out of an action and then out of a 16 inch barrel. Have to hold the gun steady or the balls in the barrel will get motion imparted on them from the barrels lateral movement.

Called pulling the shot. Hope that makes sense. Explained to me in a similar way. And I'm sure everyone argues twist ratios and lawenforcement experts at ballistics and what not. But it starts to yaw and tumble based on muzzle velocity, directional movement of the firearm and the way and amount of influence the groves of the rifling have on the projectile. Yes a less than optimum twist will not stabilize the overly large projectile. That I am not arguing. This contributes to this particular rounds incredible terminal balistics down range. But how soon does the yawing and tumbling take place?

I do not believe that the yawing gets to a severe point until after atleast the few inches after the end of the barrel. Like when you watch someone goof a football throw and instead of a tight spiral you get a drunk missle. It's a fine throw for the first few feet......

So accordingly if lateral movement is kept to a minimum. the round should make it out of the supressor. I did not the persons name and the time of my call. A memo for record. So if this somehow goofs my suppressor, then I'm covered, as I was told.

The whole sales person trying to sell another supressor by incouraging me to break mine thinking I would be covered by the manufacturer and then not being so I would buy another one from them is pretty sketchy. I've never seen repeat business done like that. Good theory...

Hope this makes sense. I have the hardest time explaining things.