what to expect when buying a suppresor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bkkd
Silent But Deadly

what to expect when buying a suppresor

Post by bkkd »

hi all, i have a few ? about purchasing a tac-65 for my ruger 22/45.

i have a ccw permit and i buy at least one gun a month, what should i expect when i try to purchase the suppresor, i dont want to come home one night and have atf/fbi in my driveway wanting to ask me why i want an 'assasins' :roll: gun.

what kind of time limit am i looking at for all the paper work to clear?

i want to be able to shoot my ruger and not disturb anybody, i enjoy shooting and would like to do it quietly in my own yard.

has anybody mounted a suppressor like the tac-65 on a bull barrel ruger pistol, how did it get threaded to mount, was it internal threads at the muzzle or .........however.

does anybody have any pics of a modified ruger bull barrel that they could post or send me.

i thank you all for your time and replys i am looking forward to trying out my first suppresor...........
Silent But Deadly

Post by #93 »

Buying a suppressor is much more involved than buying a title 1 gun. It is more of a process or a journey at the end of which you get to take the suppressor home. First find a Class 3 dealer and discuss your options. Do you buy the can from the manufacture or internet ad (may be able to avoid sales tax like this) or if they order it and sell it to you. If the dealer does not have your can in stock expect to wait about 2 months before being able to start your transfer while they wait to have the transfer approved to them.

Many dealers will complete the Form 4 (transfer paperwork) for you but it is up to you to do some of the work. You will need to attach a photo of yourself to the form, get the Chief Law Enforcement Officer CLEO (Chief of Police, Sheriff, County Prosecutor, or judge able to hear a felony case in your jurisdiction) to sign the form, you will also need to have fingerprint cards completed.

When the form is done send it in with a check for $200 and wait several months for ATF to approve it.

I built a .22 range in my garage and shoot all the time. The wait and trouble are worth it in the long.

Oh-Yeah you do not give up any of your rights buying a silencer ATF, FBI, local LE still need a warrant signed by a judge to search your home, or inspect the item with out your consent.

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The feds are fine -- they are by the book and without discretion for approval. They approve thousands of silencers a year for private sale. The local LE is another mater and were given the right to deny signing the form and rather than just refuse to sign it if they know you are an unsafe person, they might refuse to sign for anyone as a matter of policy.
pokey
Silent But Deadly

Post by pokey »

Here is a great read for info on the law and what rights you have.
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/ ... fa_faq.txt