STi GP6

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

STi GP6

Post by GlockandRoll »

Looks VERY promising!
Anyone seen/shot/held one yet?

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/GP6/GP6.html

With the GP6, STI International, Inc. delivers a compact SA/DA polymer pistol which serves equally well either on or off duty. With its integrated tactical rails, it is equally suitable for Military, Law Enforcement or Civilian carry.

Built on a light weight, highly durable polymer (Polyamide GF 30) frame, the GP6 incorporates integrated tactical rails and textured side panels, front and rear straps. The GP6’s all steel slide is tri-topped with front and rear cocking serrations and features a fixed 3 dot sight system. The controls consist of ambi-thumb safeties, an ambi–slide release, firing pin safety, and a user configurable magazine release for equal ease of use in either right or left handed configuration. The barrel is 4.25” in length featuring an innovative rotational lock up system. Long term durability testing units have fired more than 110,000 shots without any change in internal geometry. The GP6 comes standard with a storage case, 2 magazines, and sight keys.

The GP6 is currently available exclusively in 9mm.

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

If STI made it, then it can't be too bad, right? Of course, I know the Sig-Mosquito took a bit of a beating even though its a "sig" - to hell and back and all that.
I read that it's douche to list your guns here, so I stopped that.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

That's what I'm thinking... I mean a truly ambi polymer auto, with a thumb safety, that can be fired SA - for $600, built by a high-end manufacturer with a truly state of the art facility down the road from me.

s--t, I may just have to get one!!!
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Pick up one for me, GNR, save me the hour-and-a-half drive.
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

Rotating barrel means it can't be suppressed=super gay
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Not ideal for suppression, correct, but the Beretta Cougar kicks ass to shoot. Rotation barrel also means really good performance.

On this particular forum, lack-of-suppression is often a deal-breaker, but honestly, if a gun's merit were based entirely on suppression, then why would any reader in this forum own a revolver?
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

Ha I don't own revolvers any more. They're obsolete IMO.
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

It may be a great design but I can't think of a reason to choose this over a Glock, M&P, or XD. It's a lot more likely that Glock, S&W, or Springfield will be around in 10-20 years to buy spare parts from than STI.
gunnut284

Post by gunnut284 »

Is this a STI designed and built gun? It just has the look that it might be a new import (something eastern European).
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

GP stands for "Grand Power K100" ... from Slovakia.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg123-e.htm
scottryan
Silent But Deadly

Post by scottryan »

Another overhyped slav handgun imported by an American company to appear as their own design.
Tugnut
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tugnut »

B.F.D.
Micah 6:8
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

On that website that Cortland linked, it mentioned that this gun could be suppressed. What sort of suppressor would this be? If I have to speculate, it will be an ordinary suppressor except that the booster has rotational flex-and-give as oppossed to longitudinal, like an Evo-9. Of course, if the barrel rotates in the wrong direction, then the suppressor will unscrew itself. If the threads have to be reversed for a "lefty-tighty, righty-loosey" type attachment, then the serendipitous result would be a suppressor that doesn't detach after a long stream of firing.

Its all speculation - anybody want to chime in with fact on how boostered suppressors would work on this one?
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

You forget the barrel rotates in both directions, so there's no stopping it from unscrewing.

I've seen photos of a suppressed Beretta PX4, which also has a rotating barrel. I seem to recall that the can was actually mounted to the frame, ie via the light rail or something, and that it did not rotate with the barrel.
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

Colt's entry for what eventually became the Mk23 SOCOM had a rotating barrel, with the suppressor mounting to the frame rather than the barrel.
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

pbauw wrote:Colt's entry for what eventually became the Mk23 SOCOM had a rotating barrel, with the suppressor mounting to the frame rather than the barrel.
Here's the "Colt SOCOM OHWS" that pbauw talks about:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg168-e.htm

Pretty funky looking.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

seems to me this handgun is an answer to a question no one asked....not for me, thanks...
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

GaLEO wrote:seems to me this handgun is an answer to a question no one asked....not for me, thanks...
Like the Sig/Mauser M2 and Beretta PX4 before it.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Haven't shot the gun in question, but based on the Beretta Cougar and its later derivative, the PX4, I find this type of blow-back to be pleasant to shoot. There's a lot to be said about a comfortable pistol that also fires comfortably. This gun might still end up being a niche product, but that's not a terrible thing.