Question on Test Results

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Racer
Silent But Deadly

Question on Test Results

Post by Racer »

It would be useful to know if the cans you tested were new or were broken in with a coating of carbon on the baffles. In my experience with just my ears as my meter, suppressors get a bit quieter and have less first round pop after they have been used a bit and have some carbon build-up.

Also, the First Round Pop numbers seem high to me. I own and shoot several of the suppressors on the list and I do not think that they have a FRP of 7-10 db (if that is what the column First Round) means. This is what makes me wonder if the cans were new or used.

Thanks for the tests. I look forward to more excellent testing on other cans.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The SRT were the most used. The Tac-Inv were new when I got them, but part of a 1.5 hour shooting session where we broke in the cans.

All of the used cans were cleaned in Acetone a few days before and then blown out, and shot out -- to try to uniform them all and ensure they were dry.

The cans that posted a loud first round pop sounded like they had a loud first round pop.

That being said, as I mentioned in the test, first round pop is just a 1 shot average of the first shot compared to a 9 shot average of the rest. This is the least-reliable number in the test. The only way to make that number better would be to fire 10 'first shots.' I could do that, given enough time. I don't know of any silencer tester who has done it that way.