am I getting B.S.'d?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

Neat!

I'm in the WTVL area.
silent joe

Post by silent joe »

Nice kooking combo.Call your credit card company and dispute the extra charges.The agreement was 110.00,they may do a 86.00 charge back to his account.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

silent joe wrote:Nice kooking combo.Call your credit card company and dispute the extra charges.The agreement was 110.00,they may do a 86.00 charge back to his account.
Yep, that's the way to handle that!
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

I would definately dispute the charges. If he said $110 then it should be that. If that was my company it would have been free. But obviously he's an asshole. This ordeal was worth a plane ticket to meet him face to face.
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

Did the Bersa come with a barrel that protrude? past the slide or did your smith have to extended it.
Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

Well, the way it went was as follows. I call the company over a week ago, and his front desk guy, who I've probably dealt with more than the guy himself, tells me the job is done, it's $110, and they can ship it out that day. I say "great, here's my card number." He takes the number and says "Ok, we'll get that right out to you."

A week goes by, and no gun shows up, so I call. The same desk guy, (NOT the smith,) tells me he'll find out what happened and call me right back. He doesn't. I call back a day later, and he tells me the gun never shipped, and he's going to ship it that day. I check my online credit card statement a few hours later, and there's a charge for $196 posted. I immediately call them back. The same desk guy gets stuttery, and says "no, no, no. That $110 that I said when I took your card number was only an estimate."

So basically, I think this desk guy who runs their retail side really screwed this up, but I'm the one getting burned. I'm still irritated that they'd run my card for an amount that was NEVER discussed with me. Pretty shady dealings. I could try talking directly to the owner/gunsmith, but he's never offered anything but static in the past, and I'm not sure how this would be any different.

Do you think I should call my credit card co.?
Last edited by dae.edorian on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

AAA wrote:Did the Bersa come with a barrel that protrude? past the slide or did your smith have to extended it.
They make another version of the same pistol with a 6" barrel, and I purchased that barrel as a "replacement part" straight from the company that imports the guns. It was only $35. I sent him the gun and the 6" barrel.

nearly 5 months later, I got a very nicely threaded pistol, which they charged me $196 for after initially saying the job would run $160, and when it was done his employee told me $110. The first time I saw the final charge was on my credit statement. Not happy about that.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

dae.edorian wrote:
AAA wrote:Did the Bersa come with a barrel that protrude? past the slide or did your smith have to extended it.
They make another version of the same pistol with a 6" barrel, and I purchased that barrel as a "replacement part" straight from the company that imports the guns. It was only $35. I sent him the gun and the 6" barrel.

nearly 5 months later, I got a very nicely threaded pistol, which they charged me $196 for after initially saying the job would run $160, and when it was done his employee told me $110. The first time I saw the final charge was on my credit statement. Not happy about that.
File a disagreement with your CC company. You authorized $110.00 period! Anything more than that the CC company will charge back at your insistance.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

That is total BS. That is the number one reason I don't have more Silencers. And Guns with threaded barrels. I would call the credit card company and tell them about that.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

After reading this, and his responses (the "gunsmiths"), my guess is this is the FIRST time this guy has ever threaded a barrel before. It just sounds like he has NO CLUE what to do.

So he's bugging Gemtec, basically trying to get them to tell him step by step what to do and how to do it.

If you say he's authorized by these other people to do their work, I'd call them up and verify that. Perhaps he's BSing you on that too??

But after such an ordeal like this, I simply wouldn't trust the guy with my gun. Period. Your best bet is to get it back before he screws it up.

And, I'd let everybody else know what happened, AFTER you get your gun back. No sense in pissing in your own cornflakes.

But by withholding information, you're just setting somebody else up to get screwed by him also.

EDIT........

OK, they're holding your gun hostage now, getting you to pay for their screw up's. I'm sure they spent more than they expected (first time and all) and now they want YOU to cover them.

Just get your gun back, at any cost. THEN either sue them, call the credit card company, and let EVERYBODY KNOW WHO THIS IDIOT IS. Make SURE they don't get any more business, from ANYBODY.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

I also got the impression that he might be inexperienced with barrel threading, at least for use with a suppressor. Thankfully, I got the gun back on Friday, (pics above) and the job he did is actually quite decent.

I still can't figure out why he needed all this information from gemtech, especially after I sent him that PDF spec sheet that AAA from Tornado gave me on the 1st page of this thread. In the end, he said "Fine, I'll just thread it 1/2x28tpi and .400" in depth, but I can't guarantee it will work." I assured him that it would be fine, as long as he followed those specs. Indeed, when I finally got the gun back, the threading job was quite nice, and works fine with my Outback.

The smith is the owner of this place:

http://www.coloradogunworks.com/

I'm still upset that the job took nearly five months after the initial estimate was 2 weeks, but I'm more concerned with the fact that they charged me an amount that was never discussed or approved by me. I sent him an email outlining these concerns, and if he doesn't get back to me by monday, I'm calling my CC company to dispute the charge.

...He's NEVER returned an email before, so I'm not holding my breath.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

Well keep us informed on how it works out for ya.

Sucks to have to go though that stuff, sounds like me really.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

Actually, now that I look a bit closer at the threading job, it isn't stellar. The threads are somewhat rough, and there's some material missing from the threads in a few spots. It works fine, but certainly not worth almost 5 months, $200, and being mislead at every turn.
Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

Frankly the result doesn't make him sound like much of a gunsmith or machinist. Certainly not worth $200.

You could have done better right here in Maine.

I know, you took other folks word. Not entirely your fault.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

I've been finding that this sort of thing is not that uncommon with forum-recommended gunsmiths. Usually it works out okay, but there are more than a couple of turkeys out there, and surprisingly they often have cheering sections in their main hangouts.

It's happened to me a couple of times. I usually wind up about $300 poorer with the same problem I started out with, or a new one entirely.

Moral: you can't trust forum recommendations.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

That "gunsmith/machinist" is nonsense :roll:
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

I was told to take my Ruger to a guy around here that's supposed to do great work. But in talking to him, I figured I'd be better off paying the cash and sending it to Mike at Tornado.

I just don't want to take the chance on messing it up.

Now I've got a rifle I'm gonna put it on, and may do that, not sure yet. I'm not quite as concerned about the rifle as I am the pistol.
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

Well, after calling repeatedly for several days, I finally got through to the gunsmith to ask him about being overcharged. The receipt that came back with the gun says $165.38 in gunsmithing, $25.00 in "S&H" and an additional 3% added on for not being cash. The total was $196.09.

I asked him why there's a $25 "S&H" fee since he said he was giving me free shipping because it took five goddamn months. He said it was a "handling charge" which he simply adds to every gun that comes his way. God these guys are swindlers.

At this point, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with them anymore. End of story. Morale: AVOID COLORADO GUN WORKS.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

dae.edorian wrote:Well, after calling repeatedly for several days, I finally got through to the gunsmith to ask him about being overcharged. The receipt that came back with the gun says $165.38 in gunsmithing, $25.00 in "S&H" and an additional 3% added on for not being cash. The total was $196.09.

I asked him why there's a $25 "S&H" fee since he said he was giving me free shipping because it took five goddamn months. He said it was a "handling charge" which he simply adds to every gun that comes his way. God these guys are swindlers.

At this point, I'm just glad I don't have to deal with them anymore. End of story. Morale: AVOID COLORADO GUN WORKS.
Dispute the charge with your credit card company. Have them charge back anything over what was agreed on.
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

Definitely dispute.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Lets see if this work :twisted:

COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.
COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.
COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.COLORADO GUN WORKS.
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

haha, so now we wait for google to crawl this page...

I like it.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I DO believe in payback :wink:
SO every one click this page many times :twisted:
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

This link clicks through google, so it will make this thread have a higher google rank. CLICK IT!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&c ... y9BY03zj4g
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

Clicked 10 times. F***ing rip off artist.

Can you post a close up picture of the missing material on the thread. In my experience if you thread some material with a die you rip the thread, but never when screwcutting. I think that's unheard of.

How does it shoot? Come on, after all this saga we NEED to know.
"Boi, you're in one hell of a situation. You're on US soil with illegal firearms." - Quote from US customs officer when he opened my suitcase and saw numerous NFA items