buying out of state

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

silentassets
Silent But Deadly

buying out of state

Post by silentassets »

Is there any legal way of getting out of paying 2 transfers when buying from out of state?
YHM Mite SS w/QD 4 sale $175 form 3 in Texas
You cant miss fast enough to make up for a hit.
RON PAUL 2012
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Only if it's in dealer inventory or the seller pays the first tax.

I think you're stuck on the Interstate commerce part of the NFA tax.
Mr. Greg
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr. Greg »

This would be a private owner-dealer in his home state-him, right? Would you have to pay two taxes if it goes dealer-dealer-you, still? Is that what you meant by "dealer inventory?"
silentassets
Silent But Deadly

Post by silentassets »

Thats what i figured. If its dealer to dealer to you then no there is only one transfer that is taxed.
RON PAUL 2012
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Dealer to Dealer is no tax.

Individuals cannot transfer across state lines so, first person pays $200 to local in-state dealer, dealer to dealer tranfer is tax free and gets it across state lines, local dealer in new state to second person is another $200.

I live in Arizona so, if I sold my NFA item in state we would do it on a single form 4 transfer with a single $200 tax.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Get something classed C&R and a C&R FFL.
silentassets
Silent But Deadly

Post by silentassets »

Well what I was looking at was i was offered a Evo-9 for a good price but with 2 transfers which the seller wants me to pay its almost retail plus the tax stamp. So I will probably just buy a new one from renegade.
RON PAUL 2012
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

silentassets wrote:Well what I was looking at was i was offered a Evo-9 for a good price but with 2 transfers which the seller wants me to pay its almost retail plus the tax stamp. So I will probably just buy a new one from renegade.
I did an out of state transfer and me and the buyer split the cost of the transfer to his dealer,but there is no way to avoid this transfer fee.
TEXMEX
Silent Operator

Post by TEXMEX »

Sid Post wrote:Dealer to Dealer is no tax.

Individuals cannot transfer across state lines so, first person pays $200 to local in-state dealer, dealer to dealer tranfer is tax free and gets it across state lines, local dealer in new state to second person is another $200.

I live in Arizona so, if I sold my NFA item in state we would do it on a single form 4 transfer with a single $200 tax.
No need to involve an in-state dealer. An individual can transfer across state lines to a dealer in another state. Requires a Form 4 (front only) and $200 tax.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Move

Post by David Hineline »

Either the seller can re-locate to your state, or the buyer can relocate to the seller's state.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.