5.56 Cans

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Bucko

5.56 Cans

Post by Bucko »

Just currios, but does 10 db really make a difference when comparing 2 different 5.56 cans? I mean they both shoot supersonic and are going to have a nasty crack. So in the long run would something like a TAC 16 be sufficient or a month later would I wish I had bought something esle?

Thanks,
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

10 dB is at least twice as loud. This is already considering the crack. A 2-3 dB difference is worth saving money over in many cases.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Would you steer clear of the TAC 16 and save for a Gemtech M4 or does the TAC 16 serve it's purpose?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I did not test it MIL-STD yet. I will do so soon, and we can see if it is hearing-safe. If it is, then it serves its purpose.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Would you get one personally or would you pass. I'm on a tight budget but at the same time I don't want to waste money on something that isn't worth putting money into. I'd like to find a used Gemtech M4-96D but that nearly seems impossible. Think anyone out there has one they'd like to sell?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would spend more for myself even when I was young and made $6 an hour. When I was 19 I bought a Colt AR15A2 and a Glock 19. I was never temped by the less costly stuff. I always found a way to pay for gun stuff I wanted -- and did without until I had enough saved.

I think the .22 Tac-Inv stuff is close to more famous brands but the Tac-16 is a greater gap from how the big-names do it.

Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Thank you so much for your insight :shock:
bkkd
Silent But Deadly

Post by bkkd »

i would like to know that also as it is im planning on getting a can for my ar-15 after my initial trial run to see how things go with the tac-65, it does look like a strong simple design if it only makes shooting full power loads hearing safe it would definatly be fine for my needs..........
cadre

5.56 cans: Troy Industry compared to Gemtech m4-96d, + other

Post by cadre »

Hi RSilver,
do you have any plans on T&E the Troy Industry silencer to see how it stack against Gemtech and other major 556 cans in the market?

One thing I like about the Troy can is that you can mount it over the Vortex or Phantom flash suppressor w/ their collar mount held in by the flash suppressor.

Troy Industry Silencer

Would love to see how an independent T&E compares b4 getting one. :D

thank you for a great site!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Troy did not respond to my requests.