design and effect

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dale

design and effect

Post by dale »

seems to me that a properly designed suppressor would fit the host pistol with no more than a barrel change. I like the size and weight of small cans like the titanium abraxas and the aac spider as they dont block the issue sights and weight means no recoil enhancer. However, that being said, the considerable point of impact shift observed with these types of cans is not acceptable. the shift is due mainly to the slant side wall type of baffle these cans employ. the baffles impart a considerable force from the expansion gases to the passing projectile as it passes each baffle thus creating an unstable bullet and point of impact shift. the larger cans like the swr sg9 k3 are really quiet but require the addition of large sights. not that big of a deal but still I would prefer not having to change sights. Has anyone ever tried changing poi shift with the smaller abraxas type cans by using an extra long threaded barrel and using peel type washers to interface between the can and barrel? this would act like a Browning "BOSS" system and may work? As long as the shift is only high from point of aim, the user can correct for the difference by aiming a little low.
Debo18
Silent But Deadly

Post by Debo18 »

Good idea. I guess I need an extra long bbl or even just an adapter to start trying to work that with my Abraxas. I am glad you posted as I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why my bullets don't fly right. I didn't know that about the design. You know the funny thing- on my 92FS POI change is 12" to 5 o'clock from 7 yards while on my 9mm carbine POI change is less than 1" at 25 yards....... Go figure.

Debo
"It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs"
David Hineline

Assuming you mean the Spider 2

Post by David Hineline »

I had a Spider 2 the Spider is shorter and larger diam and does block sights,

I never noticed a point of aim shift, I guess I never really shot the Glock with the Spider 2 on it at 100yds to see.
dale

Debo 18...POI shift of Abraxas

Post by dale »

What brand of theaded barrel are you using? If a good one, mabe you should mike the front endcap exit hole and have it enlarged very slightly. Heard that AWC uses SUPER tight bore tolerances and sometimes needs opening up.
germansilencer
Silent Operator

Re: design and effect

Post by germansilencer »

dale wrote:seems to me that a properly designed suppressor would fit the host pistol with no more than a barrel change. I like the size and weight of small cans like the titanium abraxas and the aac spider as they dont block the issue sights and weight means no recoil enhancer. However, that being said, the considerable point of impact shift observed with these types of cans is not acceptable. the shift is due mainly to the slant side wall type of baffle these cans employ. the baffles impart a considerable force from the expansion gases to the passing projectile as it passes each baffle thus creating an unstable bullet and point of impact shift. the larger cans like the swr sg9 k3 are really quiet but require the addition of large sights. not that big of a deal but still I would prefer not having to change sights. Has anyone ever tried changing poi shift with the smaller abraxas type cans by using an extra long threaded barrel and using peel type washers to interface between the can and barrel? this would act like a Browning "BOSS" system and may work? As long as the shift is only high from point of aim, the user can correct for the difference by aiming a little low.
This impact shidft is the reason for the big, heavy and expensive adjustment devices in KAC, B&T etc. pistol silencers .....
Try to fix the can in different positions on the barrel, the easiest way is to try washers of different thickness between silencer and barrel thread end, between nearly "0" and about 1/2 thread height, e.g. on a 1/2"x20 about 1/2 of a 1/20 inch.
firearm silencers are a contribute to environmental protection