Sub-sonic 22LR, 223 and 308 advice needed

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hoosierdaddy
Silent Operator

Sub-sonic 22LR, 223 and 308 advice needed

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I'm waiting on my suppressed 10/22 (pending 68 days) and wanted to start buying some quiet ammo to test. I've heard nice things about CCI Green Tag and Ely. I don't know which Ely is quietest.

Also, is there affordable 223 sub-sonic ammo (and will it damage my M4-96D?)

I also just bought an AAC Cyclone and would like to start thinking about SS ammo for that as well. It will primarily be mounted on a Savage 10FP-LE2B that I'm getting ready to ship to John Noveske for threading. Later I may pick up a 300 Whisper upper for one of my ARs or possibly a barrel for a T/C.

Cheers!
Last edited by hoosierdaddy on Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Black Hills, EBR, and TTI make subsonic .308 ammo. Some of them have subsonic .223 as well, although I find that less interesting since it has little mass.
Billy Wyrick
Silent Operator

.223 55gr BT through AAC M4-2000, .22lr & .22mag in cans

Post by Billy Wyrick »

I am shooting .223 55gr Nosler BT reloads by Ultramax through my Colt AR .223 Elite SS barrel with the M4-2000 attached. I use no ear protection and sound is very low to ME. Of course all my high freq. hearing has been gone for years. It shoots better than I can. I get under one inch if I do any where near my part for a 5 shot group. Heck with SS, I want that groundhog to explode!!! I need to run this load over my screens. CCI makes some 22 LR HP {all lead} subsonic ammo that I shot through my AAC Scarab. Attached to my S&W 41 7in barrel that is threaded 1/2X28 this ammo is EASY on the ears and you hear the impact of the bullet on target. My boy's hear the slide work, I can sometimes if I really listen. By the way. I also use my M4-2000 on my ZKM-611 .22 mag. Being a little heavy it pulls down the point of impact 3 inches or so at 100 yds., when the M-4 is attached vs not attached. It is plesant enough I DO NOT use ear protection. And the ammo is Remington 33gr V-Max Premier. I have not run this over the screen but Rem states 2,000 FPS. I hear the sonic crack down range. That AAC M4-2000 can is bad to the baffles!!! HA HA HA
IMHO
Billy Wyrick 8)
WiseOne
Silent Operator

Post by WiseOne »

can't help on the .223 or 308 stuff but for the 22lr, the remington subsonic stuff work's well, talk to the mfg. before using that SSS Aguila stuff that they sell as some do not want you running it through there can's. cb long's also work great but at most time's will not cycle the action
mrrogers1
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrrogers1 »

WiseOne wrote:can't help on the .223 or 308 stuff but for the 22lr, the remington subsonic stuff work's well, talk to the mfg. before using that SSS Aguila stuff that they sell as some do not want you running it through there can's. cb long's also work great but at most time's will not cycle the action
the SSS Aguila (60gr) is bad for our standard 1:16 twist rate barrels, but Aguila does sell some lighter grain rounds that I hear work great. I personally can't get CCI SS to run in my 10/22 but I'm pretty sure that it's because if the throat of the GM barrel. Stay away from the Remington as it is dirty as hell, even if it works and is cheap, all the RF guys don't mess with it. I have found that the Wolf MT, Wolf ME, PMC Moderators (these are the quietest and the slowest) work the best and are very quiet. Most any Match grade 22RF ammo is going to be subsonic so get an assortment from http://www.Midwayusa.com and see what will run in your guns and go from there.