Suppressed H&R 44

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

steel
Silent But Deadly

Suppressed H&R 44

Post by steel »

Well the endless wait is over my SRT 44 H&R is here and looks great. I have only had a chance to fire a few different factory 44sp loads through the rifle last evening and with those the rifle was nice and quiet. I will test it out this weekend for accuracy,chrony readings, and noise level with different ammo as I have around 6-8 different loads ready to test out .Anyway here is my First picture of the rifle.

st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

That is slick!! I really like the look of it, but the EOTech seems a bit out of place lol. How does it sound?
Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Landry308 »

I like that alot :!: More reports once you shoot it more, please.
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Sales, Transfers, Special orders
usp45ss
Silent But Deadly

Post by usp45ss »

Very nice hog thumper you've got there.

I think Doug is doing more single shot .44's now that the supply of 77/44's is getting less and less. I saw a picture of a T/C Encore he did in .44. Very slick.
Tugnut
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tugnut »

Can't wait to hear the follow up report....especially the chrono and accuracy data!!!
Micah 6:8
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

Good looking rig! :D

What did Doug charge for the work?

I am eagerly awaiting a report on this one.
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

That is very cool
[b]Sharp Knives and Quiet Guns[/b]

Inside Sales - Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Steve S
Elite Member

Post by Steve S »

NICE!!! Looks like fun.
Steve
steel
Silent But Deadly

44mag

Post by steel »

Well I mounted a 6x18 scope on the H&R for accuracy testing this morning and did some bench shooting before it got to hot this afternoon. I realized after testing several factory 44sp loads and 3 different 44mag handloads I worked up that the key to this rifle is bullets from 200 to 250grs. The 270 and 300gr bullets I tried were all over the target no way would I accept that kind of accuracy in the field. The best accuracy with factory ammo was CCI 44SP 200gr golddot HP which were 1040FPS 5 Rd average. At 75 yards with rifle in a commerical gun rest I was impacting around inside a 2" square on the target. Thats better than I could ever shot off handed so I am more than happy with that. The CCI was also pretty Quiet I doubt you could hear anything other than impact at 200 yards away from the shooter. Also the 200gr bullet hits hard at 1000+FPS I shot some water filled jugs It destroyed them and shooting through two 1 gal jugs back to back was no issue! The Grizzly 250gr Hawk SP was flying at 830 FPS average and accuracy was acceptable for field use around 3" at 75 yards again mostlikey better than I could shoot in the field off handed. This Rd was also very,very Quiet you are getting near a suppressed rimfire rifle noise wise as I could hear the hammer drop and then a big impact on target. The best luck I had was some handloaded 240gr SP bullet in 44mag case at 900 FPS. With these loads I cut the same hole more than once and figure I was shooting around 1.5" to 2" groups at 75 yards. This load was quiet about middle ground noise wise from the two loads I listed above. Overall I am pretty impressed with the rifle its quiet, built and finished very well, and acceptable accuracy considering it was a $200 rifle to start with. The rifle is also very compact you can't really tell in the pictures but in your hands it's like a sawed of shotgun very short and compact package. One last thing was I noticed after fireing several Rds without a break the accuracy went to Sh** do to the barrel getting hot. This rifle does not shot well with a hot barrel I would say about 4 -5 quick shots then let it cool down or the accuracy gets worse fast. I am working up some more handloads this week as I would hardly say I have found the best load for this rifle with only one morning of limted testing. Maybe I can get something with even more accuracy and noise reduction. I am aiming for 900-950 FPS with 225 to 240gr bullets I think this is going to be the sweet spot for bullet accuracy ,over all quietness and still have plenty of impact on target.
Landry308

Post by Landry308 »

What powders are you using in the handloads ?
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
steel
Silent But Deadly

Post by steel »

Mainly Unique but I also have Bluedot, 2400 and a few more powers. For some reason Unique has made Quieter Subsonic loads in my 38sp rifle/Raptor can so I figured I would try it first in this 44. The barrel in this rifle is said to be 11.5" long inside the suppressor and ported so acts like a 7" barrel FPS wise. To be honest I didn't expect the CCI 200gr golddot to be over 1000FPS and I expected the Grizzly 250gr to be faster than 830FPS. I guess thats why We have Chrony's to test these loads out.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

That looks badass.

How long was the wait and if you don't mind me asking, how much did Doug charge for the work?

Did he need to whole gun or did you just send him the bbl and fore end?

I'd love to have an H&R handi rifle in 500 S&W integrally suppressed by SRT.

400 grain bullets @ 1000 fps would hit like a sledgehammer.
steel
Silent But Deadly

price

Post by steel »

It took about 6 months start to finish to my door. That inclued sending the whole rifle in and Doug building the rifle with both transfers. I think it was like $600 for the build. On the 50S&W I almost did that myself I had the rifle already but after talking to Doug I felt like the 44 would be noticeable quieter so I went that route. Besides a 240gr flat point at 1000 FPS will shoot through any thing walking around these parts. I have a 44 pistol I hunt with alot and my favortive load is a 250gr bullet at 1000 FPS and have killed hogs as large as 300lbs with that load in my S&W PC 44mag.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Thanks Steel, I appreciate the info.

I kinda figured that the bigger hole in an integral suppressor for a 50 S&W would probably end up being louder than a 44.

Thanks again,

Dr.
Landry308

Post by Landry308 »

What's the total length of the barrel now, from breach to muzzle ?
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Skunk
Silent Operator

Post by Skunk »

H&R uses the SAAMI standard 1 in 38â€
steel
Silent But Deadly

barrel length

Post by steel »

The overall rifle is 36" long and the barrel/suppressor is 20" overall. Skunk you are right on the barrel twist which is the reason I say stay under 250gr bullets with this rifle. 200gr to 250gr bullets that I have shot so far seem to have good accuracy and they hit hard. I am really surpised on how hard the CCI 44sp 200gr golddot HP factory load hits. This load is about 1050 FPS and the bullet expands perfect and it still blows through several water jugs. It would be bad medicine on any critter around 200lbs or less at ranges under 100yards. I love the idea of a big 300gr bullet zooming down range but to be honest a good 240gr soft point at 1000 FPS with blast through any critter that walks around this part of the world. I have handgun hunted this country for years with 44mag pistols using medium power reloads around 1000-1100 FPS and have yet to find critter that could take on of those loads and walk away.
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

ATCDoktor wrote:That looks badass.

How long was the wait and if you don't mind me asking, how much did Doug charge for the work?

I have been playing with some 500gr hornady bullets at just over 1000 out of my srt suppressed 77/44 in 50ae lately. They really hit the steel targets hard. haven't tested for accuracy yet
gunn24
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunn24 »

Dan wrote:
ATCDoktor wrote:That looks badass.

I have been playing with some 500gr hornady bullets at just over 1000 out of my srt suppressed 77/44 in 50ae lately. They really hit the steel targets hard. haven't tested for accuracy yet

Does converting it over to 50ae make it a single shot rifle or do you use different mags.
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

I made one test mag for it out of a DE mag but the OAL of the 500gr bullets would not fit anyway. I use a stock 77/44 mag in place so that the rails help the round into the chamber.
caver101
Silent But Deadly

Post by caver101 »

I had one of the H&R in 500 S&W and it would only shoot the 250 gn bullets. I sold mine off after it shot a 3 foot group at 50 yds with 400gn sierra bullets. Accuracy with Corbon ~250gn ammo, 3" groups at 100yds was the norm.

Still have the remaining bullets, brass and dies if somebody wants them.

The H&R in 44 could be a nice little rifle. I really like the looks of it!!!
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Geeze, I was getting 1.75" at 100 yards with 350gr bullets out of my 500 S&W... thinking of sending off a F1 for a silencer for that, too. :D
caver101
Silent But Deadly

Post by caver101 »

Does anybody know if there is a folding stock made for the Handi Rifles?

That 44 would make a good truck rifle for varmints.
caver101
Silent But Deadly

Post by caver101 »

I quick google came up with this........and its hideous, lol!

http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.as ... ge=1&id=23
steel
Silent But Deadly

stock

Post by steel »

My buddy has one of thse stocks it's not bad but the grip is very short my last finger hangs off of it. Because of that that I am not buying one for myself,but a nice folder would be Great!! On the H&R I have done some more shooting and this rifle is very quiet :D . I don't know how Doug makes a big bore this quiet.