What silencer do you want to see made?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rjs1000
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjs1000 »

Kevin/AAC wrote:Interesting that the little one baffle suppressor wasn't mentioned until now. People seemed really interested a couple of years ago...
What kind of suppression did you get from this little can? If it were even in the ballpark of hearing safe, that would be brilliant.
Robert
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Its not.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
gunn24
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunn24 »

Wide knurling on screw on cans adds a nice touch. An authenic looking AK can. I'm Ok with it if the bore is a little large. Special Runs of say 100-500 older AAC cans with updated baffles. I would love a Stinger the can for the TPH.
boatbiologist
Elite Member

Post by boatbiologist »

Back to your original question:

If you make anything with ground breaking performance- not incremental improvement on an existing design-- in a caliber than I could buy at Walmart (or not be forced to reload myself)-- I would buy it. Give me something that I can have fun with on my 5 acre suburban lot and not piss of my neighbors. This is what an East coast (megalopolis) customer could use.

My garage is full of carbon fiber- but I don't want any in my gun safe. Carbon is great for things I intend to replace every year- sold on ebay every spring.

If the black box comes out and sets a new benchmark for .45 suppression, I will buy one and worry about a host later. If it is just a little bit better than the KAC, I probably won't get one.

Keep up the R & D! Keep OCD types like Silvers on the payroll and have him loosely supervise a couple young dreamers like Paco. Let them get some CNC time and see where it goes. Produce something just because it is amazing.

Don't dumb down your product line- produce a "vette" or Viper to associate your brand with. The Titan is a fantastic suppressor in a caliber that I don't have much use for at the moment because of where I live. I own a couple AAC suppressors because they were the best at what I wanted- when I wanted them.

I think 45acp is a good place to focus for many civilian reasons as well as potential future mil market. Subsonic, hits hard, availible, popular, not suppressed well at the moment,... I wouldn't be put off by something with injectors powered by lithium 123s and shifting the pressure wave to an inaudable range if it rewrote the books on what is possible. I believe suppressor design is in its infancy. Do Something new!
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Damn, with all this talk about features I'd really like a can that can make a great cup of coffee and a bj!

Actually, I wouldn't mind a shorty .22 upper that was really quiet and actually brought to market (see gemtech t2).
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

On the integral centerfire idea:

There could be a standard tube/stack combo with a standardized barrel that could be made in multiple calibers. Something like a Thompson Center Encore with a standard barrel profile that matched the internal diameter of the suppressor tube/stack.
Ports could be placed at points along the barrel corresponding to the baffle stack, number and size depending on the cailber, to achieve the desired results.
It would work but probably cost prohibitive.
I have been thinking of this idea for a while with the thought that the can could rotate, say 45 degrees or so, and close off the ports, making it unsuppressed. Clip on with a mechanism similar to an air chuck with the ability to rotate. Built in stops for suppressed and unsuppressed.
Hey, I can dream right?

Don't compromise the quality. (not that I could see that happening)

It seems like the future is lighter, quiter, smaller, QD.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Kevin/AAC wrote:But, you buy Gemtech, SWR, and YHM, etc....we could win you over with lower end products, if they were always available...and others like you.
Not sure I would group SWR as "lower end." They make cans that are highly competitive with AAC in some models.

Regardless, you've answered your own question. People buy YHM, Gemtech, etc. because those companies already offer products in those categories. There is no need for AAC to enter that arena unless the motivation is avarice. Let YHM handle the $500 pistol can market. AAC can handle the premium market, but I do think you should focus on value for that extra money. I bought a YHM .45 can because I felt the extra $300+ for an Evo45 didn't get me $300 worth of improvement. But I did get an M4-1000 over a YHM Phantom because the extra $75 was well worth the improvement. Does that make sense? If the Black Box is under 130dB it will be well worth the extra $400 over a YHM Cobra .45. I think AAC's niche is offering premium product which is capable of justifying its higher pricetag.
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Conqueror wrote:
Kevin/AAC wrote:But, you buy Gemtech, SWR, and YHM, etc....we could win you over with lower end products, if they were always available...and others like you.
Not sure I would group SWR as "lower end." They make cans that are highly competitive with AAC in some models.

Regardless, you've answered your own question. People buy YHM, Gemtech, etc. because those companies already offer products in those categories. There is no need for AAC to enter that arena unless the motivation is avarice. Let YHM handle the $500 pistol can market. AAC can handle the premium market, but I do think you should focus on value for that extra money. I bought a YHM .45 can because I felt the extra $300+ for an Evo45 didn't get me $300 worth of improvement. But I did get an M4-1000 over a YHM Phantom because the extra $75 was well worth the improvement. Does that make sense? If the Black Box is under 130dB it will be well worth the extra $400 over a YHM Cobra .45. I think AAC's niche is offering premium product which is capable of justifying its higher pricetag.
It isn't greed, its business. This is not a garage hobby at AAC, we are full-time silencer makers. We don't have other day jobs or make cheap rails for other income. We want to own the silencer market. I will not apologize...primarily b/c we sacrifice to earn everyone's business and are dedicated to improve everyday. We desire to make the best, and to sell to everyone...not just those who can afford $1,000 silencers.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

A few of us would really like to see a 3-lug adaptor for the Evo .40 made; I am sure the parts would work for an Evo .45 adaptor, too. If I wasn’t too worried about getting it to index correctly I’d have had Liberty make one for me. I guess the market is pretty small with Raptors still around.
07/02 SOT
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

Kevin/AAC wrote:
Conqueror wrote:

It isn't greed, its business. This is not a garage hobby at AAC, we are full-time silencer makers. We don't have other day jobs or make cheap rails for other income. We want to own the silencer market. I will not apologize...primarily b/c we sacrifice to earn everyone's business and are dedicated to improve everyday. We desire to make the best, and to sell to everyone...not just those who can afford $1,000 silencers.
You know if you made a lesser can, it would'nt last two weeks before it was on the internet being trashed, and then bashed.

You have a pretty good price spectrum already. How much cheaper could you go than the ranger II or the m4-1000. These are really nice cans especially if you factor in the price. To save 50 or 75 dollars to lose the nice AAC features - this would just cheapen the brand.

If you could make a cheap semi quiet 22 silencer like the Mite i think this would sell well though and not hurt the image of the centerfire cans.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Kevin/AAC wrote:It isn't greed, its business. This is not a garage hobby at AAC, we are full-time silencer makers. We don't have other day jobs or make cheap rails for other income. We want to own the silencer market. I will not apologize...primarily b/c we sacrifice to earn everyone's business and are dedicated to improve everyday. We desire to make the best, and to sell to everyone...not just those who can afford $1,000 silencers.
Capitalism is admirable. The question you have to ask yourself is, if you expand your product line, will it have a negative effect on your ability to produce your higher-end products, or will you be relegating those products to the back burner in the pursuit of market share via lesser quality products? Will growth wind up hurting you/your brand?

Only you can decide if pursuit of your goal is worth the risk it carries. Either now or down the road.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Kevin/AAC wrote:
jonharoy wrote:It may be a small thing but packaging is important, I would like to see the tube come back. The box is nice but in the end it’s a box.
I like it too. We will cycle these packaging concepts in and out over the years. I love the marketing and appreciate good marketing, packaging, etc. from other companies too. Some people get, some don't. But, I really believe it is indicative of overall quality...example: Today we received a $800 suppressor from another company today (through an anonymous dealer), it came from the factory wrapped in bubble wrap! That's it, just bubble wrap, no pouch or case. I thought it was lame and laughed out loud. I instantly thought less of the silencer. This was a small issue, but it still made a bad impression. BTW- the baffles were loose after one magazine...
I know what can that is!!

Laugh out loud is right!

Mike
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
aarudd
Silent Operator

Post by aarudd »

How about a QD mount one baffle suppressor, or a QD mount open noveske KX3 flash suppressor.

How about have just a M41000 QD mount that has a water bottle threading have the mount registered as a silencer?
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Diomed wrote:
Kevin/AAC wrote:It isn't greed, its business. This is not a garage hobby at AAC, we are full-time silencer makers. We don't have other day jobs or make cheap rails for other income. We want to own the silencer market. I will not apologize...primarily b/c we sacrifice to earn everyone's business and are dedicated to improve everyday. We desire to make the best, and to sell to everyone...not just those who can afford $1,000 silencers.
Capitalism is admirable. The question you have to ask yourself is, if you expand your product line, will it have a negative effect on your ability to produce your higher-end products, or will you be relegating those products to the back burner in the pursuit of market share via lesser quality products? Will growth wind up hurting you/your brand?

Only you can decide if pursuit of your goal is worth the risk it carries. Either now or down the road.
Excellent questions, etc. Really, it does take a lot to produce cheap, decent stuff to built to lower standards. The question is...will people buy it over other brands currently offering those products?
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

If by lower standards you mean aluminum 22 cans, then no.

I look forward to your steel 22 can. It is too bad that the Scarab was discontinued back when I was looking for a good 22 silencer.

-T
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

That was my point, I think you read too much insult into my avarice comment. I think it's not worth sacrificing your reputation as a maker of premium cans to get a partial share of a market currently dominated by other companies.

Do you want people on the various forums to be making comments like "You could get the Gemtech ____ or the AAC ____, they're similar in quality and price"? Right now the comments are more usually things like, "anything you get from AAC is going to rape Can X in quality and sound."

I think it's in your interest to avoid the former, and continue to seek the latter.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

The BMW 1-series (first go around) and the Mercedes C-Coupe are both good examples of companies known for higher-end products trying to go low-end and failing.

Note that the new 1-series is just a smaller 3 and is not the same thing as the first go around.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

MaverickH1 wrote:I'm tired of silencers that attach to guns. They take up too much room and aren't very efficient.

I think AAC should team up with another American company and make some integrally suppressed weapons comparable to the MP5SD, but I'd also like to see a factory integrally suppressed 308 bolt action rifle with a folding stock :D Imagine this Savage integrally suppressed...
+1
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I don't yet own a .22 suppressor, but I'm currently looking at the Spectre. I mention this strictly in order to share the thought process behind my very tentative current decision.

Quality matters the most to me, not the price. Obviously I won't buy a can that cost a million dollars, so while it is a relevant factor, it is by no means the most relevant factor. The cliche is that a suppressor purchase is for life. What do I want to do - purchase a second can after my first 'bargain-based-decision' gets me close to my ideal without reaching it? What in the heck could I do with two .22 suppressors?

The Spectre is able to withstand odd-ball calibers like the .17 HMR - a caliber that probably won't get a mass-produced suppressor for it because the demand is too low. Yet this is an additional benefit for me which I will make use of.

I require my .22 can to be take-apart. It is widely known that the .22 is a 'dirty round' - why would I buy a can that has a finite number of shots built into it before some semi-extreme measure has to be taken in order to restore it to factory performance? Further, it is capable of sustaining caustic chemicals that an Aluminum can could not.

Finally, it has some of the best - or the best suppression available depending on who you ask. The fact that it is a relatively large can for suppressing a .22 is irrelevant to me - equally irrelevant is its larger than normal price tag.

Isn't the .22 lr the most widely purchased ammunition? And yet the cartridge has little tactical value. From a business perspective, it means that this caliber is the most common with little possibility of military contracts. There is no strategic advantage to making the suppressor for this caliber as petite as possible. Yes, we'd like to avoid a 55-gallon-drum on the end of the gun, but if that size is costing performance, then it is a trade-off that shouldn't be made.

Understand that it has been said on this website that 'volume makes up for poor engineering' with regards to suppressors. The LCW Predator seems to be an example of this. This matters because I'd assume that I'm not alone when I think that it would be spectacular to have a silencer as well engineered as the typical AAC product, but with the additional benefit of being over-sized to boot.

Someone else here said that the first company to produce a viable 12-gauge silencer gets the prize (paraphrase) - to which I'd agree. I'd like to add to that by saying that the first company to produce a silencer that doesn't disappoint a first-time-silencer-user gets the gold medal. By this I simply mean that there is a shock after the first shot because the inexperienced believe Hollywood's inaccurate portrayal of a silencer. Well I say that if you can make that fantasy a reality, then - pretty much regardless of size - you will win completely.

Anyway, I know what caliber I shoot most, and as a result I know what caliber of suppressor I'd spend the most money on; and that caliber is .22.
I read that it's douche to list your guns here, so I stopped that.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

TROOPER wrote:I don't yet own a .22 suppressor, but I'm currently looking at the Spectre. I mention this strictly in order to share the thought process behind my very tentative current decision.

Quality matters the most to me, not the price. Obviously I won't buy a can that cost a million dollars, so while it is a relevant factor, it is by no means the most relevant factor. The cliche is that a suppressor purchase is for life. What do I want to do - purchase a second can after my first 'bargain-based-decision' gets me close to my ideal without reaching it? What in the heck could I do with two .22 suppressors?

The Spectre is able to withstand odd-ball calibers like the .17 HMR - a caliber that probably won't get a mass-produced suppressor for it because the demand is too low. Yet this is an additional benefit for me which I will make use of.

I require my .22 can to be take-apart. It is widely known that the .22 is a 'dirty round' - why would I buy a can that has a finite number of shots built into it before some semi-extreme measure has to be taken in order to restore it to factory performance? Further, it is capable of sustaining caustic chemicals that an Aluminum can could not.

Finally, it has some of the best - or the best suppression available depending on who you ask. The fact that it is a relatively large can for suppressing a .22 is irrelevant to me - equally irrelevant is its larger than normal price tag.

Isn't the .22 lr the most widely purchased ammunition? And yet the cartridge has little tactical value. From a business perspective, it means that this caliber is the most common with little possibility of military contracts. There is no strategic advantage to making the suppressor for this caliber as petite as possible. Yes, we'd like to avoid a 55-gallon-drum on the end of the gun, but if that size is costing performance, then it is a trade-off that shouldn't be made.

Understand that it has been said on this website that 'volume makes up for poor engineering' with regards to suppressors. The LCW Predator seems to be an example of this. This matters because I'd assume that I'm not alone when I think that it would be spectacular to have a silencer as well engineered as the typical AAC product, but with the additional benefit of being over-sized to boot.

Someone else here said that the first company to produce a viable 12-gauge silencer gets the prize (paraphrase) - to which I'd agree. I'd like to add to that by saying that the first company to produce a silencer that doesn't disappoint a first-time-silencer-user gets the gold medal. By this I simply mean that there is a shock after the first shot because the inexperienced believe Hollywood's inaccurate portrayal of a silencer. Well I say that if you can make that fantasy a reality, then - pretty much regardless of size - you will win completely.

Anyway, I know what caliber I shoot most, and as a result I know what caliber of suppressor I'd spend the most money on; and that caliber is .22.
Well said, as for my first and only .22lr can it will have to be the Spectre. It kicks the s--t out of all other available stock.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Kevin/AAC wrote:
JacksonBrowne wrote:I agree on a black box .40. This would be the only thing cooler than the Evo .40.

Someone mentioned you had a Scar H SD with 5.56 internals that was seriously quiet. I would be willing to sacrifice a weight/size gain but I can see how this would limit military sales. Maybe you just want to sell me the one-off can...
We have perfromed some prototyping with 7.62mm silencer with 5.56mm bores. They are really quiet. We have wondered if people would be interested.
Didn't notice this earlier. If I could, I would buy a SCAR-H SD with a 5.56 bore. I think it would look great on an AR15 or bolt gun, and would quiet it down even better.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Kevin/AAC wrote: Really, it does take a lot to produce cheap, decent stuff to built to lower standards. The question is...will people buy it over other brands currently offering those products?
I'm sure they would at first - a boost from your reputation would help you sell the cheaper product. I think rob_s is on to something with the Benz/BMW comparison. People will see the name and buy based on that plus the price. Then they'd find it's not up to their expectations.

That's the downside - they turn on you and you get bad word of mouth. Your brand name gets tarnished.

Personally, I think it's a losing proposition. You'll always have people wanting more for less, but it's hard to satisfy them and stay in the black.
TROOPER wrote:Anyway, I know what caliber I shoot most, and as a result I know what caliber of suppressor I'd spend the most money on; and that caliber is .22.
You've put more thought into it than most .22 can consumers, and arrived at the most reasonable conclusion.

I, on the other hand, split the difference. I've bought three cheap, "good enough" .22 cans (Mites), and three "top of the line" .22 cans (Spectres). So I'm covered either way. Obviously, that's not an option for most.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

I hope this comes out somewhat logical and clear.(pretty beat)

When I go to buy things, I tend to buy what I know is excellent quality based on past experience,or the experiences of those I know.

I then try to buy them at the best price I can find,totally seller dependent.

Anymore the markets are full of cheap,knock off,half assed throw away items that just piss me off because they are junk. It is getting harder and harder to buy anything that is quality anymore. Even from companies who are/were known to build quality products.

If I owned a company that built quality items and had a market share that is proven, re:my customers prefer high quality items and will pay higher prices that are fair, for that level of quality, I would cherish it.

There is no way I would go after the lower end of the market,you can sell more items because you open up to more people who can afford to buy said items, but do they care about your higher end items? I would say no, they just want cheap and good enough.

I say kick some more ass in design/ingenuity/marketing and sales will keep coming to you Kevin.

just my .02
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I may actually break down and get a .22 suppressor - and that's something I thought I would never do.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

As the price of ammo continues to skyrocket, 22LR will be one of the most popular calibers for the average consumer.

I think it's important that AAC has the best 22 line up. Having SS and Ti as an option, along with strength to withstand 22mag and 17 HMR, would really open that market up for you. People want a can that will last forever, and have great performance. If size is a little bigger but has the best performance on the market, people will buy it like no other.

Now that I know about the acetic acid (peroxide/vinegar) soaking method for cleaning lead and powder residue out of 22 cans; I really regret buying an all aluminum can. Offer the best materials, best performance, best quality overall, and people will buy it, because they know they'll never have to buy again. In the NFA world I think that means a lot to customers.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe