Looking to get 9mm can for AR + Pistol, BAN STATE

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Looking to get 9mm can for AR + Pistol, BAN STATE

Post by Twinsen »

Hey guys, I live in a ban state and I'm building a 9mm AR-15 and I'll get a pistol at some point for the can as well. I'm pretty damn sure that I cannot legally thread the muzzle of my rifles, so I'd need to permanently attach some other sort of mount.

What are my options for a can that I could mount on both an AR-15 without threading, and on a pistol (threading or the same mount, I don't care). I wouldn't mind if it took time to switch adapters or whatever. I'd have to to remove the booster anyway for use on an AR, I believe.

I've looked at the Trident, Evo, and Cobra M2 and really don't know anything about the threaded ends of them and what you can do. They seem to all be able to use a 3 lug adapter, and an Uzi adapter for the Trident, but I don't get how that works, is it permanent with some or most of them? I also don't know if an "Uzi" or "3 lug" adapter can be used on a pistol.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me. I was going to wait on getting a 9mm can... buuuuuut...
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Deleted**************************
Last edited by CanNotHear on Sat May 23, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Thanks, but one more question.

Is the ass end of a Trident swapable, so that I could buy it one way and switch it over with a wrench or something?
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

For your AR you get a 3 lug barrel from TROS. It's not threaded so I imagine it should be legal.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

Hk USP Tactical 45 + Gemtech Blackside
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

CanNotHear wrote:I wanted a Nagant revolver with a 3-lug adapter. I think someone was selling a hk p7 with a three lug on here a while back. Most pistol aren't going to cycle without a LCD . Would be nice if someone made a 9mm QD with LCD. Would also need a barrel to mate it to.
viewtopic.php?t=28927
Whoops, no LCD
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

I think a can is also considered a flash hider so that would also be a no go in CT. I think your best bet is to get a pre ban lower to be safe. Just my opinion though.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Last edited by CanNotHear on Sat May 23, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

The trident uses an endcap that can be swapped out for different threads. I have one in 1/2x36 for my AR, One in 1/2x28 with a decoupler for pistol use and one with 14x1mm LH threads that TROS made me so I can shoot subsonics through an AK.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

JohnnyO wrote:I think a can is also considered a flash hider so that would also be a no go in CT. I think your best bet is to get a pre ban lower to be safe. Just my opinion though.
Can't be, I've seen them mounted on rifles in stores. I didn't check what kind of mount they were on, but pistol gripped rifles with silencers I have seen for sale. Also, I've never seen a pre-ban lower for sale. I saw one in a gun store, and the owner of the store had bought it himself. That kind of s--t is like gold around here. But hey, if I'm wrong, you can say you told me so later.

Thanks for all the info guys, and thanks for it so fast. I can go make a phonecall during the day tomorrow... heh heh heh.
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

In newington, the Newington Gun Exchange, call and ask for Lars, he is the NFA guru there. Hes sending my AR barrel now going to be fitted with a YHM QD mount. The mount has to be permanent, so its going to be blind welded in. He can answer your questions. I've got a Mite from him, and hopefully in a few weeks my stamp will be in for my Phantom 7.62 SS
http://www.newingtongunex.com/directions.html
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

jppd47 wrote:In newington, the Newington Gun Exchange, call and ask for Lars, he is the NFA guru there. Hes sending my AR barrel now going to be fitted with a YHM QD mount. The mount has to be permanent, so its going to be blind welded in. He can answer your questions. I've got a Mite from him, and hopefully in a few weeks my stamp will be in for my Phantom 7.62 SS

Haha, yep. That's my sarcastic asshole gun nut that I buy from. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Does the ass end of the YHM Cobra M2 come off so that I can also put some sort of QD/3Lug on there? Their QD seems to be a FLASH HIDER or the 3Lug. I see their 9mm XL model does, but s--t if I'm gonna have a dedicated silencer to an AR.
rkh
Silent Operator

Post by rkh »

Buy a pre-ban lower. Pre-bans are GTG in CT so long as they aren't stamped "Colt AR-15."
rkh
Silent Operator

Post by rkh »

jppd47 wrote:In newington, the Newington Gun Exchange, call and ask for Lars, he is the NFA guru there. Hes sending my AR barrel now going to be fitted with a YHM QD mount. The mount has to be permanent, so its going to be blind welded in. He can answer your questions. I've got a Mite from him, and hopefully in a few weeks my stamp will be in for my Phantom 7.62 SS
Lars is knowledgeable, but you want to speak with "Class III Gary."
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

rkh wrote:Buy a pre-ban lower. Pre-bans are GTG in CT so long as they aren't stamped "Colt AR-15."
What do they run?

Oh, it seems they run 7 times as expensive as post-ban.
Last edited by Twinsen on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Last edited by CanNotHear on Sat May 23, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkh
Silent Operator

Post by rkh »

Twinsen wrote:
rkh wrote:Buy a pre-ban lower. Pre-bans are GTG in CT so long as they aren't stamped "Colt AR-15."
What do they run?

Oh, it seems they run 7 times as expensive as post-ban.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I think you'll spend at least as much coming up with a post-ban mounting solution as you would if you bought a pre-ban lower and did the job right.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I saw a pre-ban lower for sale for $700, compared to $100 for post-ban. I figure I'll save about $500 doing it this way. Unless they usually go cheaper.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I have a pre ban AR15 Colt AR-15 Model SP1 Why does it being marked COLT AR-15 make it any different than any other Pre ban brand? I don't understand any of this. It is just a CT thing in that there is no POST ban "relief"?
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

Yes, just a CT thing. We can buy any pre-ban AR-15 except for Colt's because they are specifically named on the list of no-go guns with evil features like threaded barrels and flash suppressors, which technically silencers are.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Can you buy a Colt Sporter-II?
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

Here's the list.

Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83
MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol
or
A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a
firearm into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from
which an assault weapon may be rapidly assembed if those parts
are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Good thing CT banned the FAMAS. I almost saw a picture of a real one once. Almost.

Can't wait until tomorrow, when I have to stare at my credit card when the silencer retailer asks me if it's the only silencer I'd like to buy, and I just drool over a .45 can and say no anyway. *drool* Forty fiiiiiive. Edit: Oh nevermind, I'm holding out for the blackbox anyway. Whatever.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm pretty sure through this thread and by searching the forum I have everything I need.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Good thing they banned the Linda pistol too. Screws might fall out of one while firing and injure someone.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter