Special Interest Arms' silent 45

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Special Interest Arms' silent 45

Post by Tyris »

Anyone have one of their 45 guns with the integral can?

I like my 77/44 so much, I want something similar in 45. Im looking for any info on the top rifle in the picture below. Reviews, first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

-T
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

I like the looks of the middle one.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

redacted
Last edited by jlwilliams on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve S
Elite Member

Post by Steve S »

I'll let you know when I receive mine. Transfer went pending on 11/06, so I should be hearing something any day (the wait is KILLING me!). I ordered mine with his last custom stock. It's Walnut with a raised cheek piece (same as bottom gun in photo). Richard told me that it's somewhat plain in grain (I wanted the laminate, but alas he was out). If I don't care for the appearance, I'll do a black-out on it with texture paint.

I can't wait to try it out. I've always loved the look of the DeLisle carbines. this will be a close second. Nice thing is that he now EDM's the ports in the barrel between the lands.......result? Dramatic improved accuracy! When I get mine I'll post pics and a full report.
Steve
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

Excellent. I cant wait to hear your impressions on your new gun.

I'm kinda diggin the beat up look of the top rifle :lol:, though a laminated on would be fine too :lol:

Is it possible to get near 1000 ft/sec with 45acp? if so, would it require 180gr bullets?

And how much is SIA charging for the 45 integral?

-T
Steve S
Elite Member

Post by Steve S »

I think retail is around 1300.00 plus 100.00 for the custom stock....there abouts.
Steve
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Steve S wrote:I'll let you know when I receive mine. Transfer went pending on 11/06, so I should be hearing something any day (the wait is KILLING me!). I ordered mine with his last custom stock. It's Walnut with a raised cheek piece (same as bottom gun in photo). Richard told me that it's somewhat plain in grain (I wanted the laminate, but alas he was out). If I don't care for the appearance, I'll do a black-out on it with texture paint.

I can't wait to try it out. I've always loved the look of the DeLisle carbines. this will be a close second. Nice thing is that he now EDM's the ports in the barrel between the lands.......result? Dramatic improved accuracy! When I get mine I'll post pics and a full report.
Steve
Why would they port a barrel when 45acp is subsonic ?
I have a carbine with the SRT Integeral, no ports and is
subsonic with 185grn, 200grn, 230grn ammo.
5mmgunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 5mmgunguy »

you can get 1000 fps with a 230 gr bullet, but you are pushing pressures over SAMMI. In a bolt action where the case is properly supported you could probably get away with it.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Tyris wrote:Excellent. I cant wait to hear your impressions on your new gun.

I'm kinda diggin the beat up look of the top rifle :lol:, though a laminated on would be fine too :lol:

Is it possible to get near 1000 ft/sec with 45acp? if so, would it require 180gr bullets?

-T
You could push 200grners to 1000fps easy and your brass would still last but 230's would be a little over push and brass would have a short life.
Steve S
Elite Member

Post by Steve S »

redtazdog wrote:

-T
You could push 200grners to 1000fps easy and your brass would still last but 230's would be a little over push and brass would have a short life.
I imagine he ports them to quiet the suppressor down a bit. That's a lot of gas coming through the muzzle. By porting and venting some off into the blast chamber, it'll help drop the pressure down MUCH faster than non-ported. SRT ports his 45 AR-15/M-16 upper barrels as well.
Steve
BachelorJack
Silent But Deadly

Post by BachelorJack »

What advantage does a 45acp rifle pushing a subsonic 230gr slug have over a mk23 or other 45acp pistol pushing a subsonic 230gr slug?

I used to own a SRT Camp 45. USED TO.

In my own testing, I was gaining nothing over a pistol with a good muzzle can.
Arghhh!!
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I'm gonna go with accuracy and repeatable accuracy due to a buttstock.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Steve S wrote:
redtazdog wrote:

-T
I imagine he ports them to quiet the suppressor down a bit. That's a lot of gas coming through the muzzle. By porting and venting some off into the blast chamber, it'll help drop the pressure down MUCH faster than non-ported. SRT ports his 45 AR-15/M-16 upper barrels as well.
Steve
This is a 2 montth old 45acp SRT Integeral upper and it has no ports and
dont need them with 230grn at 900fps, 200grn at 955fps, and 185grn at
1060fps, all factory store ammo.

redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

BachelorJack wrote:What advantage does a 45acp rifle pushing a subsonic 230gr slug have over a mk23 or other 45acp pistol pushing a subsonic 230gr slug?

In your own test and for what you use a 45acp may be diferent than
what others use or want a 45 rifle for.
I think they both have there uses
My 45 integeral cabine is much quieter than a pistol with the best screw on can.
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

BachelorJack wrote:What advantage does a 45acp rifle pushing a subsonic 230gr slug have over a mk23 or other 45acp pistol pushing a subsonic 230gr slug?

All of the pistol 45 can Ive heard sound like ass. Too loud to use without hearing protection unless you bring a bucket to dip the can in.

The rifle would be far more quiet. Particularly with no moving parts like the bolt action.

-T
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

redtazdog wrote: This is a 2 montth old 45acp SRT Integeral upper and it has no ports and

Now that is an awesome looking AR.

Is it stright blowback, and do you get a lot of noise out of the ejection port?
How about gas in the face?
Any reliability issues?

Mind if I ask what Doug charges for that upper?

-T
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Tyris wrote:

All of the pistol 45 can Ive heard sound like ass. Too loud to use without hearing protection unless you bring a bucket to dip the can in.

The rifle would be far more quiet. Particularly with no moving parts like the bolt action.

-T
Thats a BIG +1 on the loud ass 45 pistol cans, even when used on a
rifle length barrel you still need hearing protection.
I try not to purchase can that need a drink to be Quiet.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Tyris wrote:
redtazdog wrote: This is a 2 montth old 45acp SRT Integeral upper and it has no ports and
Now that is an awesome looking AR.

Is it stright blowback, and do you get a lot of noise out of the ejection port?
How about gas in the face?
Any reliability issues?

Mind if I ask what Doug charges for that upper?

-T
Yes blowback
I use a 8oz+ buffer to hold the bolt closed longer and reduce
ejection port noise and no ass gass in the face.
Last monday 900 rounds for a 100%
Never had any problems with both of my AR45 guns 8)
I sent one of my uppers to Doug and it came back with that
big ass bull barrel look for $650
This AR45 sounds close to my AR 9mm's with a Trident or Evo when it comes to quiet.
Steve S
Elite Member

Post by Steve S »

Doug told me that he ports the last couple inches of the barrel. As to why yours isn't ported, that I can't answer. All I can go by is what he told me. I looked at one of his uppers at Knob Creek and it too was ported....go figure.
Steve
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Steve S wrote:Doug told me that he ports the last couple inches of the barrel. As to why yours isn't ported, that I can't answer. All I can go by is what he told me. I looked at one of his uppers at Knob Creek and it too was ported....go figure.
Steve
I know he ports the 9mm uppers, maybe he figured it didnt make a diference after testing so he stopped porting the 45's.
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

David Hineline wrote:I like the looks of the middle one.
I was thinking the same thing
[b]Sharp Knives and Quiet Guns[/b]

Inside Sales - Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

redtazdog wrote:
Tyris wrote:

-T
Thats a BIG +1 on the loud ass 45 pistol cans, even when used on a
rifle length barrel you still need hearing protection.
I try not to purchase can that need a drink to be Quiet.

45 is definitely louder than some other pistol rounds because of the big, fat bore hole but not so bad. Even with the low-tech CAC45 on my SIA carbine it's not too loud to shoot without hearing protection. I even shot it in a friend's basement range without earplugs. I think that maybe the barrel length allowing the powder to burn off may help with the sound. I haven't tried shooting it wet yet and I'm still happy enough with the supression. Don't get me wrong, I still would reccomend the integral and I still plan on buying a higher tech can when finances allow. I may not have been as happy with the results I'm getting now if I was getting them from a can that cost two or three times what I paid for this one (I think I paid $250 five years or so ago) But it's certainly not hearing protection required.
Steve S
Elite Member

Post by Steve S »

I talked to Richard today. My suppressed Enfield was approved and will ship Weds or Friday. I asked him about the porting as to "why", and was told to help keep the rounds subsonic.

Apparently with every inch added to barrel length, he was noting an increase in velocity of 50-70 fps. With a 5" 1911 style pistol in the 850fps range, adding 2 inches on the barrel starts getting the velocity closer to going super sonic....not saying it would happen, just closer. This is what he related to me. I'm just friggin happy as a penis in pussyland that my rifle will be here next week! :D
Steve
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Steve S wrote:I talked to Richard today. My suppressed Enfield was approved and will ship Weds or Friday. I asked him about the porting as to "why", and was told to help keep the rounds subsonic.

Apparently with every inch added to barrel length, he was noting an increase in velocity of 50-70 fps. With a 5" 1911 style pistol in the 850fps range, adding 2 inches on the barrel starts getting the velocity closer to going super sonic....not saying it would happen, just closer. This is what he related to me. I'm just friggin happy as a penis in pussyland that my rifle will be here next week! :D
Steve
With this AR45 at 16 inches without a can and shooting the same ammo as
the Integeral suppressed AR45 the ammo is the same speed.
factory 45acp burns out of powder before 9 inches of barrel and the
increase in velocity maybe 25 fps per inch up to 9 inches then
it gains no speed.
I have had 4, 7, 9, and 16 inch barrel uppers for the AR and
have studied the speeds with each.
at one time I thought I needed a shorter barrel to keep
the 45acp subsonic with a screw on can and since then I sold the 7 and 9 inch.
And we want pictures of that suppressed Enfield, so dont forget you camera when you go to your dealer. :wink:
Steve S
Elite Member

Post by Steve S »

redtazdog wrote:
Steve S wrote:I talked to Richard today. My suppressed Enfield was approved and will ship Weds or Friday. I asked him about the porting as to "why", and was told to help keep the rounds subsonic.

Steve
With this AR45 at 16 inches without a can and shooting the same ammo as
the Integeral suppressed AR45 the ammo is the same speed.
factory 45acp burns out of powder before 9 inches of barrel and the
increase in velocity maybe 25 fps per inch up to 9 inches then
it gains no speed.
I have had 4, 7, 9, and 16 inch barrel uppers for the AR and
have studied the speeds with each.
at one time I thought I needed a shorter barrel to keep
the 45acp subsonic with a screw on can and since then I sold the 7 and 9 inch.
And we want pictures of that suppressed Enfield, so dont forget you camera when you go to your dealer. :wink:
I am the dealer! :wink: Don't worry about pics. I'll get plenty, along with a full range report and possibly some video to go with it. A buddy of mine and I were out yesterday doing a new video for the 22 tracers that I sell on line. Red AND Green, and they were unbelievable! Talk about fun! Traces out past 100yds, especially with the green. Was running them through my suppressed SBR 1022 and full auto American 180. Did a layer in the drum of solid red, then solid green. All I can say is WOW! I'll post video when I can.
Steve