Problems getting sign-off in Montana?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ranb
Silent But Deadly

Problems getting sign-off in Montana?

Post by ranb »

Anyone here ever have problems getting the sheriff to sign off on ATF forms in Montana?

I am arguing with a guy here; http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 5101084701 . He claims that silencers are illegal in MT and the rest of the states. He will not believe the law as it is written. Any sheriff's like him in MT? Thanks.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

Just call him a fag and move on.
<Mach1
Silent But Deadly

Post by <Mach1 »

My sister lives in Belgrade & she has never had an issue with sign off.
NFA Firearms: A hobby/livelihood requiring immeasurable patience & finances, which for those who survive the introduction is a life long commitment.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

The Bozeman CLEO is Good To GO!

However if the new law passes, then no one will need a sign off! :twisted:
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
ctarrico

Davo5o What new law?

Post by ctarrico »

Davo50...What new law? Is it Federal or state law?
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Davo5o wrote:The Bozeman CLEO is Good To GO!

However if the new law passes, then no one will need a sign off! :twisted:
*IF* it's made in state, correct?
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

Yellowstone county sheriff is GTG - drop off forms, usually pick up the next day, although he has had health issues lately, delaying the sign off for a couple days.

Also, waiting for the new state law to pass, have Elite Irons in my speed dial now, just waiting to order a sampler package to be mailed to my home address. Hard to even comprehend.
<Mach1
Silent But Deadly

Post by <Mach1 »

Always did like Bozeman, though I haven't checked the cost of housing recently :)
NO. 246 is pretty serious. I would imagine the ATF will probably perceive this as succeeding from the Union if it passes. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out. Is it going to vote & if so when?
Last edited by <Mach1 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NFA Firearms: A hobby/livelihood requiring immeasurable patience & finances, which for those who survive the introduction is a life long commitment.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

Why hasn't anyone pointed out to that dumb s--t on the other site, that the law VERY CLEARLY states that the possession of an UNREGISTERED silencer is illegal? Everyone knows that, but in order to legally possess a silencer, it must be registered.
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

Stu wrote:Why hasn't anyone pointed out to that dumb s--t on the other site, that the law VERY CLEARLY states that the possession of an UNREGISTERED silencer is illegal? Everyone knows that, but in order to legally possess a silencer, it must be registered.
Stu, what are you referring to?

BTW, it was signed yesterday.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I think he is referring to a person named mountdoug who claims silencers are illegal in the USA. Here is the link to the moron's post. http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 5101084701

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I think montdoug knows a little about the law, he can't be that stupid to keep overlooking the text he's posting. I think he's assuming that ranb is talking about building his own silencer without registering it. Or he's confused about the fact that anyone can build a silencer via a Form 1 and you don't have to be a licensed manufacturer. Or maybe he believes you need a class III license to be in possession of a silencer. I don't know...

Either way, ranb and montdoug have their panties in a wad and are unwilling to let their guard down long enough to figure out where the confusion lies. :D

I do love a good Internet argument though. Too bad I don't feel like registering on yet another web site, or I'd throw in my $0.02.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Yeah my panties are in a wad, but I am not the one who is acting like a mouthpiece for the Brady Campaign. :)

mountdoug claimed silencers were illegal in the USA. When I asked him to take a look at the law, he went on a rant claiming that MT law bans silencers, then again backed down to a rant about unregistered silencers. If he had any morals, he would have just said "sorry, I made a mistake". But he acts like many gun owners when they are told any certain firearm is not banned as they claim; he insults the person trying to explain.

The guy clearly has an agenda about silencers in general. He is not willing to admit he is wrong. It is gun owners that promote the idea that guns should be banned that are the biggest threat to 2nd amendment rights in this country. I'm sure any pro gun control politician loves the idea of a gun owner who wants guns banned.

Ranb
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

ranb wrote:The guy clearly has an agenda about silencers in general.
I don't know about that.
ranb wrote:He is not willing to admit he is wrong.
I think this is the more likely explanation. He made an assumption, opened up his pie hole and now he's trying to justify what came out.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

Blaubart, is Montdoug your aunt or something? I've read that other thread 65 times now, and montdoug is a s--t-mouthed, shithead. He's wrong and someone needs to log on there and call him a fag.
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

Dude on other site is a moerahn.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Stu wrote:Blaubart, is Montdoug your aunt or something? I've read that other thread 65 times now, and montdoug is a s--t-mouthed, shithead. He's wrong and someone needs to log on there and call him a fag.
Face it, many people believe suppressors are illegal. He probably made an incorrect assumption, got called on it by a few people, and then went out and did a little homework. I see where he's posted text from the law and he seems to understand that it's illegal to possess an "unregistered" silencer, but I don't think he really understands what "registered" means. Is that really worthy of getting in a pissing contest? Do we have to turn every shooting forum into another Barfcom? Yeah, he does seem to be an ass, but ranb isn't exercising very much in the way of diplomacy either.

When someone states that silencers are illegal, I usually just try to point out that they aren't illegal at the federal level and they aren't illegal in most states. ranb did that, but then accused him of being some sort of "self-loathing gun owners who discourage gun ownership", which of course got some sand in montdoug's vagina and it went all Barfcom from there... :roll:

http://www.videosift.com/video/We-Didn- ... -Flame-War
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

I read this passed today in Montana:

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billhtml/HB0246.htm

Can anyone confirm? This would make the NFA and GCA null and void on weapons made in Montana.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Yes, it passed, but it specifically states that it does not apply to "a firearm that discharges two or more projectiles with one activation of the trigger or other firing device." So it only haflway voids the NFA, but the GCA is screwed until this is challenged in court. My question is if the feds win, what happens to anything you bought between now and then and what if you bought or built a silencer?

I'm going to hold off on getting a Montana made suppressor or making my own without going through the ATF for now. I'll let someone else test the legality of that one.

However, I can't wait to buy a rifle or pistol with "Made in Montana" stamped on it. I don't think they'll be too quick to prosecute individuals on firearms purchases.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

First montdoug claims that silencers are illegal in the USA. Then he says a person needs a license, then it is a permit to own it in Montana. So far everything he says is wrong.

Only after others chime in to oppose his point of view do we finally get a concession that it is only unregistered silencers that are illegal in Montana. But he still says that we are lying when we claim that silencers are legal in Montana. He uses the word drivel to describe claims that silencers are legal.

This guy has an axe to grind. Does anyone have a better label than “self loathing gun ownerâ€
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

Blaubart wrote:Yes, it passed, but it specifically states that it does not apply to "a firearm that discharges two or more projectiles with one activation of the trigger or other firing device." So it only haflway voids the NFA, but the GCA is screwed until this is challenged in court. My question is if the feds win, what happens to anything you bought between now and then and what if you bought or built a silencer?

I'm going to hold off on getting a Montana made suppressor or making my own without going through the ATF for now. I'll let someone else test the legality of that one.

However, I can't wait to buy a rifle or pistol with "Made in Montana" stamped on it. I don't think they'll be too quick to prosecute individuals on firearms purchases.
Don't forget, the law doesn't go into effect until October, and they should be in court with it by then, no doubt with an injunction (or whatever, I'm not a lawyer) to stop any transactions.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

ranb wrote:Why does everyone have to be labeled?
Explain that they aren't illegal in most cases, which you did, and move on.

What I do find disturbing is that in one of his posts he said:
montdoug wrote:...I'd be the most unpopular hunter safety instructor...
There's a scary thought. I wonder how many people he's influenced with his assumptions.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

delmccormick wrote:Don't forget, the law doesn't go into effect until October, and they should be in court with it by then, no doubt with an injunction (or whatever, I'm not a lawyer) to stop any transactions.
Thanks. I wasn't really thinking of that.
<Mach1
Silent But Deadly

Post by <Mach1 »

ranb wrote:What do you think is a fair label to apply to him?
率直ã