Suppressor blow back

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

pdemos
Elite Member

Suppressor blow back

Post by pdemos »

Do suppressors with the lowest db ratings(quietest) always have the highest blowback, or is there another factor I should look at.

Thanks,
Last edited by pdemos on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressor blow back

Post by kapkanimd »

pdemos wrote:Do suppressors with the lowest db ratings always have the highest blowback, or is there another factor I should look at.

Thanks,
do you mean lowest as the quitest?? or lowest as the least amount of sound reduction??

if you mean quitest, then that is the opposite, the SPR/M4 has very little blow back all due to a larger expansion chamber... but the fact that it is the quitest is just coincidental cause the expanstion chamber itself has more to do with the blow back (I believe)
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
pdemos
Elite Member

Re: Suppressor blow back

Post by pdemos »

kapkanimd wrote:
pdemos wrote:Do suppressors with the lowest db ratings always have the highest blowback, or is there another factor I should look at.

Thanks,
do you mean lowest as the quitest?? or lowest as the least amount of sound reduction??

if you mean quitest, then that is the opposite, the SPR/M4 has very little blow back all due to a larger expansion chamber... but the fact that it is the quitest is just coincidental cause the expanstion chamber itself has more to do with the blow back (I believe)
Yeah I assumed it was volume, but that means more weight and bigger size. I was thinking titanium might be the answer to the weight issue due to its liter weight, but I don't know about the size issue.
I was hoping that I might be missing some factors here and someone might have a better solution than I am coming up with.

Thanks,
Dingle1911
Silent Operator

Post by Dingle1911 »

Mike Mers just discussed the SPRM4 v M4-2000 in his latest video on the AACBLOG. He states that the SPR has less blowback b/c of the increased volumne.